LS1GTO Forums banner

Diablo Predator on Daily Driver - Worth it?

14K views 168 replies 40 participants last post by  JP86SS 
#1 ·
I have a daily driver '06 GTO (Auto), obviously out of warranty, and was thinking about doing some additional general upgrades. I've already done common things like HID lights, K&N air cleaner, custom wheels.

I always run 91+ octane fuel but feel there is some factory programming that really holds this car back. The shifts seem weak for lack of better words and there seems to be a fair share of throttle lag. I'd also like to see better than the 17mpg I typically get in stop and go traffic (over 20mpg on highway).

Was thinking about getting the Diablosport Predator U7191 with USB kit on sale from Maryland Speed. And, no, I do not intend to do headers, exhaust swaps, full custom tunes, etc. It is and will always be, as long as I own it, a daily driver.

My questions are: what will this do for me? and is this a good idea?

I did search and read a million threads already so the new thread haters please be kind!

#154 ·
I know nothing about the Predators, but can't you adjust fuel trims and air/fuel ratios to get your mpg back?

I'm one of those people still debating getting an InTune or having someone with HPT tune my car. Mine is just a street and trip car for fun. I want get a decent balance of performance/economy.

#155 ·
I know nothing about the Predators, but can't you adjust fuel trims and air/fuel ratios to get your mpg back?
Absolutely. And no Predator tuning should be considered complete until you have run some logs and adjusted the long term fuel trims.

#156 ·
#157 ·
I lost MPG, too, but it was BECAUSE the car pulls like a burned boar. I had a really heavy foot the past year since I put the P-tune and headers on there. The car sounds great and is really fun to drive. I had been getting like 14.7 MPG in city with Pred+headers, when I used to get like 17.1 MPG before the Pred+headers.

Lately (really just the past month), I've been babying the car more and I don't run the A/C in the cooler weather. My MPGs are almost back up to where they were (16MPG or so in town vs the 17MPG they used to be).

I'm still on the fence about a Diablew tune vs a dyno tune, though.

#169 ·
Try it out...

So how much for someone not quite local?
Not sure if I'm risking smurfing the ECM using one but if the price is right and you still have it.
I might have VIN option issues already from the PO. :crapfan:
LMK

#160 ·
^^^^this if you're not getting better mpg's! I highly recommend SSMonte for a tune! It's a great tune for bolt-ons until you get in heads/cam if you're not comfortable tuning the diablo yourself! My MPG's are sky high after all said and done with my tune! Ever seen your fuel range say 490?

#161 ·
Rich runs shorties and I'm assuming jbo's being in Cali is also. How much a factor would that be in the mpg game?

#162 ·
Yes shorties, catless. When I was on the stock tune M6, I had to be no faster than 70mph to get a freeway average of 24-26, after the SSMonte tune with the headers catless ported intake I can run freeway speeds of +75mph 26-28mpg depending on road conditions. I drove back from Las Vegas 180 miles and had an average of 32mpg, another guy same mods but with a v.2 torquer cam got 27mpg on a diablo tune by one of club members.

#165 ·
The insta mileage at 0.62 I've seen. :)

#166 · (Edited)
The Predator reduces torque management on the engine side for a noticeable increase in throttle response . It's an easy and cost-effective mod for the LS2. The Diablosport Predator DOES NOT alter the 465le in the 05-06 A4's.

I recently averaged a surprising 23mpg over a 360 mile highway trip with the cruise control set to 70 mph most of the time. I can't say if that was due to using cc or maybe my new SAP (Magnaflow) 18" oval chambered mufflers. Other engine mods are K&N drop in filter and Vector HSRK with IAT sensor relocated inside the airbox. Typical Predator mpg with stock mufflers and no cc was always 19.5 hwy, 15 city, about 1mpg lower than the stock tune.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.