LS1GTO Forums banner

6 Piston Brembo Fronts 4 piston Brembo Rears on a budget

35K views 318 replies 62 participants last post by  Raxus GTO 
#1 · (Edited)
So Mikey340 and I have been playing around with a new brake setup for my car. I was on the search for the CTS-V calipers for the front of the car when I came across a set of refurbished 6 piston calipers from a VW Toureg 2005

Here are my results. 1st let me say all the brackets are designed but not yet made the brackets I used to take the pictures were prototypes. (can't say how they were made but you can use them to stop)

Ok so 2005 745i front rotor 13.5" with a Brembo 6 piston caliper. my CCW's fit it's tight about .2" clearance on the front face but they fit. with the stock 18" there is a ton of clearance.

For the rear I had to cut the dust shield off. I had to trim the pads on the rear parking brake to fit in the rotor but it's the same rotor that is used on the front of the car the parking brake fits inside the rotor and "should" still work. LOL I haven't had a chance to test it on the street but I have no reason to believe it wont work. These are the calipers from a 2004 CTS-V

The CCW's fit on here fine. I didn't try the stock 18 but I don't see any reason why it won't I don't have to run any spacer behind the wheel. the only thing that is needed on the front and the rear of the car is hub rings on the rotors becuase the BMW rotors have a larger diameter.

Not a bad upgrade ont he cheap basically a Big brake kit front and rear for under $1000 if you can find a deal on the calipers.

My plan is to work with Westcoast and have the brackets avalable for purchase from the websight if there is any interest. If there is no interest at least I have a cool set up.

See less See more
#252 ·
Next time Bohnman and I are at TOD meet there will be a braking competition.

4pot vs 6pot. It should be an even test as we are both using the same size rotors.

#255 ·
It'd probably be more accurate to do a brake test with a car with a brake setup, then swap setups and do the test again. Assuming the weather conditions didn't change. And you'd need to do it on the exact same length of Tarmac. And your wheels and tires weren't swapped.
Other than that, it's not going to be accurate. Even with identical cars, your suspension setups are different, you may have different weight setups, your cars may be at different ride heights, your tires may be different, your weight distribution could be different.
There are hundreds of factors that come into play. Ultimately what it comes down to, is that the most accurate way to prove this is to do this test with the same car, in similar weather conditions, with different brake setups.

#257 ·
I agree with all that you say; but the best you can get is 2 cars side by side.

It is better then each of us doing 60-0 stops in our own states and measuring the distance.

#258 ·
Not to mention that you want stopping distances, rather than stopping times. I've really never seen a magazine test do stopping times. It's always measured in distance.
You'll need to mark a line and brake the minute you cross it, with someone or something to verify that you did in fact begin braking around that mark.

#259 ·
Stopping distance doesn't matter if we do a side by side comparison of different setups.

The test is purely what stops faster. No worrying about anything else; simple is best.

#261 ·
brackets only you need to get rest of the parts yourself

#264 ·
but stopping distance should be the same unless their OEM brakes are fading on the initial stop or they weren't braking hard enough. If you can brake enough for ABS to kick in, you're traction limited, not brake limited (as i know you know). If anything, the rotor has a higher MoI now, which would ever so slightly increase braking distance (we're talking maybe an extra foot in a 120ft stop).

My brakes fade bad, so I'm upgrading. If anyone is upgrading for a performance benefit that isn't reduced brake fade, then they're upgrading for the wrong reasons.

#268 ·
I currently have 275/35 18 Hoosier A6s all around; I plan on CCW Classics, offset strut mounts and 285s.

#272 ·
And what front wheels and offset are you running? I've got BCs already, was thinking of going with noltec offset mounts. And I'd love to be able to shove a 9 or 9.5" wheel up front to run a wider tire.

#275 · (Edited)
I shipped Nick some front brackets but the bushings I got for the 12mm 04 brakes were too small so I had custom ones made going to ship them tomorrow.

I have a modified parking brake shoe for hollar trying to get ahold of him to come over so we can try it out now.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#277 ·
been following this thread since the beginning. im definitely interested when everything's ready to go. granted it would require new wheels, but thats ok :D

it makes me wonder if something like it possible on my truck too....

#279 · (Edited)
tried the modified Parking brake for Hollar a couple days ago and it did not work but I now have another idea that should actually be even easier and cheaper to implement. only problem is is extreamly cold out side and I'm in the process of moving so I don't have the time to put towards the parking brake right now.

#281 ·
40% surcharge for White cars :)

#282 ·
I hate you after I already did install 4 piston CTS-V on front you are making kit for 6 piston ones :-( I guess I dont really need 6 piston yet :p

#283 ·
nobody Needs 6 pistons unless they drive fast :) lol

I'm still looking for people to test the front kits if anyone is interested I have the kits ready to ship.

#284 ·
I do drive fast :-D quite few times I did hit 150 MPH :-D but most braking I do is in AutoX so I dont think I really need 6 piston.

This post has been deleted
#285 ·
:smack2: yea.... NO

#287 ·
if i had a set of wheels that would fit over them, id gladly be a tester. alas......:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.