LS1GTO Forums banner

6 Piston Brembo Fronts 4 piston Brembo Rears on a budget

35K views 318 replies 62 participants last post by  Raxus GTO 
#1 · (Edited)
So Mikey340 and I have been playing around with a new brake setup for my car. I was on the search for the CTS-V calipers for the front of the car when I came across a set of refurbished 6 piston calipers from a VW Toureg 2005

Here are my results. 1st let me say all the brackets are designed but not yet made the brackets I used to take the pictures were prototypes. (can't say how they were made but you can use them to stop)

Ok so 2005 745i front rotor 13.5" with a Brembo 6 piston caliper. my CCW's fit it's tight about .2" clearance on the front face but they fit. with the stock 18" there is a ton of clearance.

For the rear I had to cut the dust shield off. I had to trim the pads on the rear parking brake to fit in the rotor but it's the same rotor that is used on the front of the car the parking brake fits inside the rotor and "should" still work. LOL I haven't had a chance to test it on the street but I have no reason to believe it wont work. These are the calipers from a 2004 CTS-V

The CCW's fit on here fine. I didn't try the stock 18 but I don't see any reason why it won't I don't have to run any spacer behind the wheel. the only thing that is needed on the front and the rear of the car is hub rings on the rotors becuase the BMW rotors have a larger diameter.

Not a bad upgrade ont he cheap basically a Big brake kit front and rear for under $1000 if you can find a deal on the calipers.

My plan is to work with Westcoast and have the brackets avalable for purchase from the websight if there is any interest. If there is no interest at least I have a cool set up.

See less See more
#3 ·
Also what do you guys thing should I paint the caliper Red or leave it black?

#4 ·
This is awesome. Great work. Wish I had the means to make my own brackets and play around wit this stuff. So it's the same BMW rotor front and rear and a CTS-V 6-piston front caliper up front and a CTS-V 4-piston front caliper out back? And the V 6-piston is the same one on the Toureg?

#5 · (Edited)
Front calipers are from a VW nothing to do with a CTS-V

Rear are the CTS-V

Yes same rotor front and rear

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

#6 ·
Front rotors are from a VW nothing to do with a CTS-V

Rear are the CTS-V

Yes same rotor front and rear
Gotcha. And I say paint them red. If you decide to leave them black though I'd remove the logo.

#8 ·
jeff that caliper looks gigantic in your little baby hand....

#27 ·
25% surchagre for you :) It's funny because I'm not sure these pictures do show how massive the brakes are on the front.

The Brembo logo is part of the eye candy appeal. Maybe paint the rears black ?
Yea that is what I was thinking but I like the red of the stock one. I think for now I'm going to paint the rears black and put a matching white sticker on them.

I'm doing my Brembos Yellow with black lettering.
actually this was also one of my plans to match the Konis but I felt it would be too bright. Like a Baboon's ass inside my wheel. "Hey look at me :)"

Pardon my ignorance but how will this not result in too much rear brake bias?
That's a lot more rotor and potential caliper force in the back.
Well the caliper force is much less in the rear the pistons and the pads are much smaller. I'm hoping the bias will be ok. I haven't driven it yet so I can't confirm. My main concern is no Brake fade I've tried every pad set up with the GTO so far and I can't get away from it. Hopefully this puts a more even braking distribution.

:
You mean the front caliper is from a VW, not the rotor... Same caliper that's on the Porsche Cayenne and Audi Q7 except some of these have larger pistons than others. Hopefully you got the smaller piston version otherwise your pedal travel is going to increase.
Oops good catch I fixed that. Yes I got the 17z calipers. The 18z is a little bigger the mounting points are the same so I'm assuming the kit woudl work but with out having a caliper I CAN NOT confirm this. Again brackets are made for the 17Z calipers.

Part numbers for things would be nice. I have found some sets of front calipers for sale, they are known as Brembo 18Z calipers. The ones I have found have piston sizes of 30/34/38mm and cumulative piston area of 54.98cm^2, how do those look Havoc?

Also are those rear calipers from V1 or V2 CTS-V? They have different part numbers, but they appear the same to me.
Ok so the front calipers are 17z Brembo's

The Brembo 17ZL and 17ZR (L=Left and R=Right) calipers come on the following Touareg Models and also on the Q7 and Cayenne's with the 17" wheels:

2004 Volkswagen Touareg 3.2L Base V6 BAA
2005 Volkswagen Touareg 3.2L Base V6 BAA
2006 Volkswagen Touareg 3.2L Base V6 BAA
2007 Volkswagen Touareg 3.6L V6 BHK
2004 Volkswagen Touareg 4.2L V8 AXQ
2005 Volkswagen Touareg 4.2L V8 AXQ
2006 Volkswagen Touareg 4.2L V8 AXQ
2004 Volkswagen Touareg 4.9L TDI 5.0L BKW
2007 Volkswagen Touareg 5.0L V10 TDI BWF

Here are the manufacturer part numbers for those calipers:

17Z Porsche Cayenne - Driver 955 351 421 32 - Passenger 955 351 422 33
17Z VW Touareg - Driver 7L6 615 123 T - Passenger 7L6 615 124 H
17Z Audi Q7 - Driver 7L6 615 149 - Passenger 7L6 615 150

I found this info here http://forums.quattroworld.com/allroad/msgs/68518.phtml

Rear calipers are from a CTS-V version 1 from 2004-2007

GM part numbers 89047742 and 89047743

Would this bracket also work for the CTS-V 2nd gen 6 piston caliper in the front? Or are the mounting points different?
I don't know when I was looking for the cheap the CTS-V 6 pistons were always very expensive compared to the VW ones.

Nowhere has it been said that this will work with 17s. My assumption is that if the 4-piston CTS-Vs cannot fit upfront with the 17s, there is no way these would work.
You know they fit these calipers under 17" on the VW's if there is enough interest maybe I can make a kit for this to fit 17" wheels but you will most likely have to run the stock front rotor.

Well, now it's no wonder you had me look up those rear CTS-V calipers for you!
yea buddy you have to come over and check it out.

The master chimes in :)

If you have these available by the middle of March when the GTO comes out of hibernation,I'll take a set.
I hope to have the kits ready to sell WAY before that :)

#10 ·
I'm doing my Brembos Yellow with black lettering.

#11 ·
Pardon my ignorance but how will this not result in too much rear brake bias?
That's a lot more rotor and potential caliper force in the back.

#12 · (Edited)
That is awesome! This is exactly what I have been wanting to do, but no brackets are available for the 6 piston front or 4 piston rear. I am extremely interested in how this turns out and would definitely buy the brackets.

#14 ·
HMMM im interested in doing something with the fronts. How much is the end cost for the front alone? Great job on the whole set up.

#16 · (Edited)
Part numbers for things would be nice. I have found some sets of front calipers for sale, they are known as Brembo 18Z calipers. The ones I have found have piston sizes of 30/34/38mm and cumulative piston area of 54.98cm^2, how do those look Havoc?

Also are those rear calipers from V1 or V2 CTS-V? They have different part numbers, but they appear the same to me.

#46 · (Edited)
Not ideal but I think the 18z @54.98cm² is better suited than the 17z@ 61.16cm²... the 18z is exactly the same as a 6 pot CTS-V and close to a 4 pot CTS-V (55.11mm).

Stock is ~50.24cm w/320mm rotors. Reputable companies (AP, Stoptech, Harrop, etc) that have actually developed BBKs for our cars typically keep piston surface area about the same as stock when paired with an equally stock sized rotor (330mm). However, in order to keep the bias in check, the ABS system happy, and pedal travel from increasing, piston surface area is often reduced once rotor size goes up significantly (~355mm/14"). Ap 6 pots are ~50.11cm² w/14.2" rotors, Both Stoptech's 4 pot 14" kit and Harrop's 6 pot 14/15" kit use calipers in the 45.00-47.00cm² range.

This post has been deleted
#20 ·
Well, now it's no wonder you had me look up those rear CTS-V calipers for you!

#26 ·
If you have these available by the middle of March when the GTO comes out of hibernation,I'll take a set.

#28 ·
I'm definitely interested in a rear only kit as I have already done the proxes fronts...

#45 ·
^+1

with the ebrake working, any news on that?

great job Jeff and Mike! thanks!

#30 ·
Rockauto has these reman'd calipers for about $120-200 each with hardware but without pads. And they are unfinished, so they would be ready for powdercoating. I had no idea these could be had for that cheap.

I'm definitely interested in a bracket kit for front and rear.

#34 · (Edited)
the $120 is for rears. Fronts all look like $180 minimum, unless you found different pricing with a different car?

Realistically we're looking at $360 for both calipers, I'd guess $200ish for the brackets, maybe $150 for rotors (or a lot more depending on quality), and about $80 for pads and fluid (OEM quality pads, not performance pads obviously)
Out the door minimum of $800 for a badass front brake setup. I haven't checked pricing for the rears yet

#32 ·
Also will the 05/06 brake lines work with this setup or will you need the longer 04 lines? I'll be upgrading to SS lines when doing this upgrade for sure.

#33 ·
05 lines work.

I can make the brackets year specific so the holes will be smaller for 04

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.