LS1GTO Forums banner

Power shifting the T-56 ??

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  BigRedWitch 
#1 ·
I have read all the venders adds about what they can do.However that doesn't tell me much about real world application to my car.

Don't really know how to ask this question without sounding like a noob or a total dumbass,,but here goes.

Is there anyone out there that can built my M-6 tranny to be able to shift like old school M-22 rock crusher or the Mopar A-833 4sps,you all who lived back in those days know that if you had the right flywheel,pressure plate,and the all important clutch know that you could shift those things all day at WOT with never lifting,sometimes we never had to use the clutch pedal at all or maybe just a light tap to get it out of gear,but then that meant you had to let rpms drop some for the upshift. That was not good for all out drag racing as it was for road racing.Well you know what I,m looking for.

I am going to be doing a lot to my car over the winter months.Ford 9",mini tub,bushings all over,shocks,springs,struts,and the major upgrade will be to unload my low mileage engine,blower and all and upgrade that to 402/408 with a 2300 Maggie or a pro-charger. RWHP will be in the 750/800 bracket.

I have seen what it will take to convert my M-6 to a 4L80E. and I just can't afford to spend that much more on the car.

Anyone can chime in regardless of which way you swing left or right of plumb or both ways.I don't care,just lay it out there.

See less See more
#2 ·
The swap can be done for a reasonable price if you sell all your m6 items. You will be a lot happier with it as a drag car. A clutch alone built to handle the power you will have is going to run you 1500 bucks and higher. Factor that in and IMOP your going to be over the cost of just swapping to a strong auto setup.

#4 ·
Well that's part of my equation,I already have a 1200 hp clutch,PP,and FW,and that I hate to get rid of,BUT I know you are right about the auto,that is why I'm asking.

#3 · (Edited)
PPG is who you want to talk to.

#5 ·
#8 ·
OK I'll add that on my list of places to check out.That's where my Ford 9" is coming from so looking for a package deal.:)

#12 ·
I power shift my T56 and it doesn't like me afterwards. Would love to get the trans faceplated but the cost and time away is more than expected. Was quoted from Liberty, $2500 and two to three months to complete since its a GTO T56. Something about different gear sets. Whatever.

#14 ·
#15 ·
#16 ·
I'm really happy with my faceplated T56. Takes a little to get use to on the street and down shifting is a mother.
I love to see someone in the next lane to me at a stop light when I put it in gear. It sounds like someone is under the car with a 3# hammer.
I wouldnt recommend it to anyone that doesn't mind a little noise and less driveabilty.

#17 ·
Faceplating or dog box setup is what you're describing, it will depend on power levels to know which you need. We can get them from $2k-$5k depending on what you need and they will bolt right in to the car with my clutches.

Just for the record, I can shift a stock T56 M12 without lifting and still using the clutch pedal. It takes practice but it can be done consistently. If you find my stock bottom end record thread you can read where I datalogged my shift times and it was retarded quick (official term).

Let me know if you're interested in one of these, I've got a dog box/faceplated setup in my car that I'm putting together right now, car should go well into the mid 10's with a stock bottom end LS1 without spray or fi of anykind.

As far as clutches, mine are designed from the get-go to be abused and daily driven without issue, I'll put mine against anything else made.

#18 ·
I have PPG helical 1-4 gears in the WRX and those things whine. I couldn't imagine having straight cut 1-4, I think I would have trouble holding a conversation in the car.

#19 ·
Radio,sorry about not getting back here,but I have been really sick.I mean really sick,the kind you may not recover from.

Then on the other hand,my tranny does not like to be speed shifted,you come out of gear going to the other gear and it hits a wall,it will not go into the next gear without forcing it very hard.I have driven an 04/05 Goat and they done the same thing.Also a 02 Camaro and Firebird,they also done the same thing to some degree or the other.I been power shifting cars since back in the 50s with 3 on the tree.I know how to do it,it's just my tranny doesn't like it.

I will take all in advisement and decide what to do at a later date,first I have got to be able to take a breath without coughing my friggin head off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.