LS1GTO Forums banner

UPP TWIN TURBO KIT- Official Thread

179K views 1K replies 190 participants last post by  CK@UPP 
#1 · (Edited)
Underpressure Power & Performance is now proud to offer our NEW GTO TWIN TURBO KIT! It’s been under development for some time now, and it’s finally complete. This is a front/top mount design, and comes standard with T04B-SH trim turbos. These are the same turbos with proven power from our very successful C5 and C6 Turbo Corvette kits. These turbos are most efficient ~900hp, and will support up to 1100hp!!
Still not enough? We built this kit with staged upgrades in mind! Our 6182R (GT35R) available WITH AND WITHOUT ball bearings is a direct fit design! These turbos are most efficient ~1100hp and support up to 1300hp!
Included in the kit is:
• 2x T04B-SH Turbos
• 2x Cast manifolds
• 2x Up-pipes
• 2x Down Pipes (3” STANDARD!)
• Front mount Intercooler
• 2x BOV
• 2x 35mm External Wastegates
• All intercooler piping
• All Silicone Couplers (3 ply reinforced STANDARD!)
• All Necessary Hose Clamps (T-Bolt STANDARD!)
• Oil Return Pump (TurboWerx Exa Pump STANDARD!)
• Stainless Oil Feed Lines w/AN Fittings
• Stainless Oil Return Lines w/AN Fittings
• Injectors (YOUR CHOICE IN SIZE*)
• All Necessary Hardware and Brackets
• Battery Relocation Kit
• Spark Plug Wires

This is truly a complete kit, the only thing needed is a good tune from your local Dyno Tuner. We don’t believe in “cookie cutter” one size fits all tunes. Everyone’s car is different and should be treated as such. We do have HPTuners interfaces available separately if you wish to tune yourself.

We’ve been in business for the last 8yrs, and with the success of our C5 and C6 turbo kits we recently upgraded to a 10,000sf facility with a full production line, complete with in-house AWD dynamometer. Our turbo kits feature up-pipes and down-pipes made from 100% stainless steel, and are backed with a LIFE TIME WARRANTY . We have our own line of turbos, and back them with a standard 1yr warranty, but if you’re purchasing them in a kit, rest assured because we DOUBLE that with an unprecedented 2yr Warranty!

$5299.99

Installation Instructions

YouTube

http://youtu.be/roTGZ6Bz57Y

LQ version (490MB) can be found here:

http://www.uppcos.com/video/GTO%20Instructions_lq.wmv

HQ version (1.2GB) is here:

http://www.uppcos.com/video/GTO%20Instructions.wmv

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
To address some of the previous questions:

Turbos- The turbos are branded as our own. They are actually produced by a company that’s been in the business of making replacement OEM turbos for over 20yrs. We recently got them to branch out and start making aftermarket performance turbos. We back our turbos with a 2yr warranty, so rest assured, you’re getting a quality product, or I wouldn’t put our name on it.

Pricing- We originally targeted $5999 as our goal….but we came in under-budget, so we passed that on to you. There are a couple things added that were not in the original run-through, so pricing will actually be $5199.00 (Not the $4999 previously stated). HOWEVER…for the GTO Forum members, we’re dropping the price now through the end of the month for all orders received before then to $4699.00!!!!

Turbo Sizing- Standard turbos are T04B-SH. It’s a T3/T4 hybrid turbo 58mm compressor, great for 600-900hp, but if pushed to the limit they will support 1100hp. It’s recommended to stay with these turbos unless you are shooting for OVER 900hp. By upgrading to the 6182R’s (aka GT35R) and running less than 900hp you’ll actually be running LESS efficiently, as these turbos are huge and you won’t be running them with-in their power band. The upgrades are 61.4mm compressor available with (+$900) and without (+400) ball bearings. These are only recommended if you’re shooting 900-1300hp range, as peak efficiency isn’t even reached until ~1100hp. T04B’s come standard with the “UPP Black” compressor, and 6182’s come standard with a polished compressor cover.

One-off Vs Production: The kit is made, the Jigs are made, and we’ve already started production. We’ve been producing kits for other cars for quite some time now…..we mean business….

Carb Legal- NO…. Not a big fan of the smog laws out there in CA, or the CARB board. And just the simple fact that I leave the tuning up to the end user, there’s room for variance, and we won’t ever qualify for the CARB board.
Turn-Time- Generally we should be able to produce a kit from scratch in a week. Depending on the demand this might very slightly, but generally when we get into full production mode we’ve got at least 1 kit sitting on the shelf at all times.

WebSite- I’ll be updating the site soon to reflect the changes in pricing and announce that it’s complete. For orders, please call in. 719-575-0202

#3 ·
I can pretty much promise that anyone going FI is going to take a MONSTEROUSLY hard look at this product. For price/performance ratio it will be unheard of. I want one but IDK if my bottom end will like it...

#4 ·
Whats the difference between the 04 and 05/06 kits?

#7 ·
Why do you need a return oil pump if they are top mount? Wouldn't they gravity drain back to the pan? I am so glad to see the kits hitting the market. Are these turbos Garretts then?? :)

#14 ·
You don't have to. But we took a poll, and this decision was made. Mainly because it's MUCH easier to drill/tap an oil cap that you can remove from the car than it is to pull a pan. And if you ever convert back to factory, it's $5 to replace an oil cap...

The answer to your turbo question is above.

CK

#15 ·
As of right now, no. We really haven't noticed a huge difference between the BB and JB in terms of spool time. The only reason we offer it in the 6182 class is some people just want the prestige of BB turbos, as well the 35R is a very well known turbo. The amount of R&D that goes into making a turbo wouldn't justify the cost at this point.

CK

#16 ·
Becasue every exhaust is going to very slightly, and our DP's are 3" which not everyone has, we coppied the same concept from our Corvette kits. We end the DP with a V-Band Flange, and supply an additional V-band Flange and clamp that gets welded to your existing exhaust. Some people running 2.5 or 2.75" exhaust may need to make an adapter (easily done at any local exhaust shop). Same as the vettes, you mock it up, cut the exhaust where the DP's end, and weld on the V-Band flanges. And they are made with flex sections to allow some amount of variance.

CK

#13 ·
What size is the BOV and wastegate? Also does this come with a digital controller or manual, or are you just using a wastegate spring? Also how far away from the turbo is the wastegate? or are you using 2 wastegates?

nvm, just saw the pictures and answered alot of my questions.

#17 ·
The BOV location is sweet lol. Looks nice. Makes me want to go out and get another gto.

#18 ·
Y'all are SO going to hate me, but I gotta shut this down. Your username isn't red yet; contact AF and let them know. Our standard protocol is no red username, no thread.

I'm more than happy to restore it after I see your account status as a sponsor activated.

Thanks.

#21 ·
Just saw some of the pictures, and WOW, looks good guys.

#36 · (Edited)
Cutting: Minimal. You have to cut the front metal bumper on the back side to allow room for the intercooler, and one of the legs on the fan shroud to allow room for the intercooler piping.

Filters: Yes there are filters in the kit. Because of the room limitations they aren't traditional filters, but foam screen caps the cover the turbo inlets.

Heat: If heat is truly a concern, I'll just include turbo blankets WITH the kit. BAM, problem solved. There's nothing too close to the turbine housing that should be an issue. Similarly on the Vette kits where they sit inside the fenders, there's never been heat issues with the fenders, which are also plastic.

Sparkplugs/Maintance: The kit comes with a set of wires that you can actually make whatever length you want if you want to do some crazy routing. We made them all 24" in length, and they wrap around the manifold. They have 90* boots on the ends and point somewhat downward away from the manifolds, so in terms of heat they're actually FURTHER away from the manifolds than the stock ones. Access is fairly easy, and it's even easier without the downpipe in place, which we made with V-Band fittings so it's VERY easily removed. Once that's out of the way you can literally fit you whole arm under the manifolds, which makes changing the plugs super easy. I'll post up the pics of this I got later. I think I already sent a set to BlackBob.

Oil Return: It was posted that this needs to be addressed, but I'm not really clear as to why? Our oil returns are made from -10AN SS Braided Teflon lines with all -10AN aluminum fittings. We use the TurboWerx oil pumps (to which I'm happy to report ZERO failures from them at this point). We ran with the oil pumps for a couple reasons: 1. Install is MUCH easier drilling a hole in your oil cap than it is pulling your oil pan. 2. Returning to stock (say for those under CA CARB laws) is MUCH easier and cheaper. The turbos do sit high enough to gravity drain the oil back into the pan, and if you wish you can hook it up that way. I'll send you more line and no pump, and you can easily plumb it in. Just for the masses who look at a turbo install and go UGH... I wanted to make it as easy and clean as possible.

Completeness: This kit is it. We're trying to make it absolutely complete as possible down to the last nut and bolt. This includes things that I forgot to list, like filters, battery relocation kit, (and now turbo blankets!). I don't want this to be a kit that people have to run out and buy more stuff, fab on, or make unheard of changes to their cars. If I'm going to compete with the SC guys, I need to make it as all inclusive and straight forward as possible.

CARB guys: Sorry it won't happen, namely because of the tuning. However, one option for you may be switching it. It literally took me 2hrs to convert this thing from completely installed, back to stock with the only visible trace that it had ever been installed was the trimmed fan shroud, which wasn't really visible with the stock air inlet/box.

CK

#37 ·
Those are flex sections, not cats.

Honestly not sure on the radiator cover, the customer didn't have it on there when it came in. If it dips into the engine bay too much I would assume not, since it may be in the way of the IC piping.

Yes, 04 and 05/06 have a different radiator setup. The 04 is a sealed system, where the 05-06 uses the old "overflow" style. But general layout is the same with the exception of the overflow bottle. I need to verify fitment on the LS1's with someone here local, or if one of you is brave enough to try it out I will give you an even better pricing on it, and I will work with you to make sure it fits and solve any issues you have.

CK

#45 ·
Those are flex sections, not cats.

Honestly not sure on the radiator cover, the customer didn't have it on there when it came in. If it dips into the engine bay too much I would assume not, since it may be in the way of the IC piping.

CK
I guess I'll just have to see and find out lol. Hopefully there will be build threads before I can get mine ordered. Might take a while lol.

How would ceramic coating hold up on the hotside comparing to the exhaust wrap. Reason I ask this is the car will be in a lot of shows and I want it to look as nice as it can but with also the durability.

#38 ·
No, no fuel pump yet. Generally most FI kits don't come with a fuel supply, as this verys dramatically depending on HP levels, fuel used, etc. I am starting to work on a design for a complete fuel system (much like we did on the Vettes) and I will bring it to market too if there is enough demand for it.

CK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.