LS1GTO Forums banner

Street Slayer Twin Carbon Install

8K views 99 replies 25 participants last post by  Hendrix-Engineering 
#1 · (Edited)
Recieved my clutch today so I figured I'd post up a few pictures along with the install. There is already a Street Slayer install thread the major difference being this is their full carbon offering. I'm pretty much tapped out with the current build and had intended on installing the Monster 5 I have sitting in the garage. I know she wont be able to hold but It would have been good enough to get me by till I could afford a tougher unit. I got a great deal on a used one that had about 800miles on it. Came out of a new Camaro, with approx 800 miles and a TVS installed. No track duty.

I had a Textralia twin a few years ago and I was not impressed. POS let go on the dyno and Tex wanted me to modify it to work. No thanks.

Pretty solid piece and I'm impressed with the obvious engineering that went into it. It comes with a steep 1900 dollar price tag and is rebuildable. Approx 1200 bucks for the rebuild.

A few pics one of the biggest things I noticed vs the Tex twin while the tex twin had 2 friction plates totaling 4 sides worth of material the Street Slayer has 3 plates and friction material on both the pressure plate and flywheel for a total of 8 sides of friction material. I assume this is so when the clutch is engaged you'll have carbon to carbon vs friction material to metal like most clutchs. Obviously I'm no expert hopefully some one with more knowledge on the matter can explain that.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
I do prefer the way the Street Slayer floater is held in place vs the pedestal mount Tex

You can see the raised pedestals on the Tex in this picture. Thats what they wanted me to machine down to help my Tex perform.

I'll do the install tomorrow and start breaking in the car. Will post up pics and impressions as I break the car in.

Attachments

#6 ·
Nice nail polish :D

Looks like a heavy duty unit.

#7 ·
i hope that that is melz hand and not yours rick

#9 ·
Damn, another jarhead comes "out." Clutch looks good. I'l be curious about the behavior. Some carbon brakes used to have to get pretty hot before they worked optimally, but I suspect that technology has come a ways in the interim.

#12 ·
Got the clutch and transmission installed weather kicked my ass but I wasnt going to wait ill monday. Straight forward install I thought the additional plates might make it a bit harder but they didnt. Only pics I have of the install .

#15 ·
Thanks Thomas looking forward to the release. Fired the car up this morning I should be putting miles on her today breaking everything in. I'll post up driving impressions as soon as I get a feel for it and some miles under my belt.

#19 ·
Still working out some bugs as soon as I'm able to I'll let you know :)

That looks like a pretty awesome choice now available. I was looking at the 'other' carbon on carbon twin disc, but there's no way I could justify what they want for a clutch.
The carbon stays in an oven @2000 degrees for 6 months!! It is a purpose built clutch ,not stock parts adapted to somewhat work.I can assure you if you drive this clutch and you need a twin you will buy this clutch.This twin will amaze you
2000 degrees for 6 month wow. One thing I did notice was the pressure plate seemed to be an off the shelf piece. Am I wrong and whats the clamping force?

Ediskrad getting a high hp clutch to have great driveability, be able to withstand high hp abuse and have a decent lifespan is really hard to find. Hopefully this clutch will give me just that. At one point I was getting so fustrated I wanted to just go auto like most others do. It's cheaper and you can go faster but I prefer the 6sp.

I dont think this clutch is for everyone but I think the higher hp guys will buy it if it works as advertised. I will gladly pay 2k for a clutch if It means I can install it and have the reliability and drivability I'm looking for in a 800hp clutch.

#17 ·
That looks like a pretty awesome choice now available. I was looking at the 'other' carbon on carbon twin disc, but there's no way I could justify what they want for a clutch.

#21 ·
It's a steel flywheel but i dont know how much she weighs. Hopefully Thomas will put up some specs when he's able. I know he's got alot on his plate right now.

Initial driving impressions: It drives like the stock unit except it has a slightly harder pedal feel slightly. My wife asked me when I got home today after working on the tune how the clutch felt and honestly I was so focused on tuning the car and breaking the new engine in I didnt notice. For something thats rated at over 750lb ft of torque to the tire thats not a bad accomplishment. I've been told its underrated and will be able to handle what I throw at it. I should be able to start hitting the car with some boost by the end of the week. No chatter, nothing out of the norm.

#26 ·
Awesome Rick. Did you ever get the MOnster 5 in? I'm curious how this drives in comparison.

#27 ·
Pat I had the Monster 5 in for only a short time. 3 days lol. Pedal feel on this one is slightly harder than stock just slightly. Much lighter than the Monster 5 I had installed. Absolutly no chatter or noise what so ever. Easy to forget its there it drives almost like the stocker. Still dont have any info on how she holds but I'll be hitting it with boost and putting her thru the paces soon.

My wife did put some miles on the car today I'll let her post up her own impressions.

#28 ·
This girls opinion clutch felt pretty good. The pedal feel wasn't to bad either not to light but not to hard. I think she's gonna perform quite well in hubby's car. My personal opinion, I like it alot I didn't have any problems taking off in 1st gear, and it was quite easy to forget your driving a high performance clutch.

#31 ·
Cool to have two different opinions! Makes me think about going that direction instead of my level 5....or at least switching out my Light weight flywheel for a normal one...if they are in stock lol.
I can't wait to hear how she does!!! Silly woman for being pre-mature ;) haha

This post has been deleted
#34 ·
Giving feedback on a clutch and the performance not a buyer feedback piece at all. Thanks for the reminder thou I should start one of those.

#35 ·
I'm hitting it with boost now only 3 lbs but I'll get more boost into her as I get the tuning where it needs to be. I know youve been busy looking forward to additional info :)

#38 ·
really glad to read that this is working out for you, man. i love my Hendrix SL and plan on purchasing another from Thomas when this one finally poops out.

hopefully by then i'll have the engine rebuilt and be far enough along on the turbo build to justify the purchase lol

#40 ·
Rick, glad to hear she's holding up well. Now, this "safe" place for tuning....let's hope you don't get caught :p I guess you are probably the only one who still uses it since the rest of us have moved away :p haha

#45 ·
Any noise? My old ACT in my talon used to make noise with the pedal out (a shug shug shug noise, if that makes sense, not Throwout bearing). My friends twin disk in his GTO (not sure what brand) squeeks when he lets the clutchout. Its outside the car and definetely the clutch making noise. Thanks for the reviews!

#47 ·
No noise with the pedal out or during engagement. I heard what I thought was a barely audibal noise once when I was in the garage but I couldnt duplicate it. Tex twin I had before would behave just like you described.

Ready for ECS Rick?
See my next post ;)

Ill let the others share their results but ZERO,you will think you have a stock clutch.
A tad firmer pedal feel than stock besides that you'd think you have a stocker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.