LS1GTO Forums banner

ETMC's LS powered 1966 AC COBRA

8K views 62 replies 31 participants last post by  elephantrider 
#1 ·
East Texas Muscle Cars Kit car build: This will take a while as i am building this myself and not really in the shop so this is a 9pm to 12AM project but in 4 months i has got quite a bit done!

Car will be a LS powered car

Sence i was 11 years old and saw the first AC cobra and actually knew what it was i have wanted one. Well i finally had the chance to build me one. I had to sell my 1100+ HP 2010 camaro I built But i got it.

Kit was delivered about 4 months ago:

Super excited about right now!!!! Got the car out then had to unload all the boxes

First things first, found the instructions:bang::bang::bang:

i bought a basic kit with all FFR a arms and wilwood brakes, and a moser 8.8.

the car didnt come with the Brakes or the Moser 8.8 so more boxes soon to come! :D

See less See more
#2 ·
First off the car comes with the body set on the frame and the alum panels just set in place. You have to take the whole car apart, and label all the panels.

Then the fun begins. I started a little out of order but o well. here is the front end and brakes on.

rear end came in about 3 weeks later so in it went!

#3 ·
I will have to apologize now for he crappy pictures :-( they are all from my I phone

now to start on the ALUM. starting with the front:

and moving to the REAR

man that last pictures turned out really bad :-(

anyways at that point i have the gas tank installed already, all the alum is in and sealed. now that was the easy part now to start the brake lines,pedal box,dash, eng, trans......

#4 ·
Brake MC. o what fun, i still dont have them adjusted right may have to rear the instructions for these..LOL..

now it is getting time to move it down to the main shop so i can use the welder and get to going on the motor

so far no real complaints that i have found except the rear brakes i had to have machined to fit the 8.8

#5 · (Edited)
Totally sick! Magnacharger and coil pack covers (valve
cover look) to make it look more like an old motor?

Sort of like this

#6 ·
Looks like a nice build!

but...a GM engine in an AC Cobra? :( I know I'm weird like that and love the LS engines, although while the (replica) AC Cobra is going to be mine down the road, it has to have a Ford engine :) Wished I wasn't like that, cause I have a really nice 383 SBC that would be awesome in there; just can't bring myself to do it though.

No matter, as that thing ought to be really cool when it's done!

#41 ·
They are an AC Cobra, NOT ford, Carroll Shelby just decided to use the 427 ford motor in the race version, most road versions actually came out with the cheaper 428 ford motor.... I'm sure if the LS twin turbo was an option back in the late 60's MR Shelby would have gone down a similar path to this.... Awesome build mate, keep up the good work, LS Chev all the way!!!

#7 ·
MOTOR TIME NOW

for the motor i went with a block i had sitting around the shop. a old ls3 crank. some Eagle rods and wiesco pistons. to top it off some PRC 317 2.5 heads with a ls2 intake.

Went with a fresh t56 and a ACT twin disk clutch

for the mounts i had to cut the ford ones off and make my own mounts. I got some HSC rubber mounts and use the FFR trans mount in the rear with a F body rubber mount. The mounts in the picture are just when i was mocking it up. They are now boxed all in.

THE CUT OFF MOUNT AND WELDED BACK ON

#12 ·
Room. with the MArch drive(4+ inches further out from normal ls drive) and all that is going on the car i couldn't do a top mount. there is no room behind the motor (APS style) plus the pipes come out the side. i didn't want to have a TON of extra exhaust pipe running everywhere so putting it between the side pipe and the header was perfect

#13 ·
Fair enough. I guess I would have gone high and ditched the headlights for badass inlet tubes right to the birdblenders. :gr_devil:

#14 ·
Awesome stuff. You'll love it.

If you ever have questions, shoot "The Wrench" a PM - Walt over at WM Motorworks in PA, he's built a dozen+

#18 ·
now the body is another story. Me and our painter are not to happy with there( 40hrs and ready) body. after taking off the seams they leave you there is alot of voids in the fiberglass under the gel coat which is a big NONO. i am a little worried about the rest of the body and heat and those air bubbles we dont find coming back to haunt us down the road. there is a TON of high and low spots also. this car we want 100% perfect so there will be were guessing 80-100hrs of body work and all to get it right and painted. Not 40 like they claim.

#22 ·
Cool, so a T-56 can be made to work in an AC Cobra? Didn't know that and hmmm, I have one of those too with this 383...damn, that makes me want to say farg it and go with a GM setup...

Car's looking real good and wow that'll be a blast (and potentially a handful if not careful) to drive!

btw - is it common for them to offer a hardtop on the kits now? While I think it looks kind of bleh, it does add some more practicality to the car.

#25 ·
they dont offer a hardtop that i know of no.

Nice, Stephen. Factory Five makes some good kits. Are you going to have FORD milled into the valve covers?
David
no keeping the CHEVY and the badge on the outside will be L "S" 1
powered the S will be the snake! :)
OH MY GAWD!!!!!!! This is SO awesome.

My dream (once I have a garage with enough room) is to build myself a FF Cobra. I've never even debated which power plant I'll go with. It's 100% going to be an LS. I'll be watching this thread giddy with anticipation.

I love the turbo placement BTW. Form > Function. When I saw those pics, I thought "Oh man, that's perfect".
thanks!

#24 ·
OH MY GAWD!!!!!!! This is SO awesome.

My dream (once I have a garage with enough room) is to build myself a FF Cobra. I've never even debated which power plant I'll go with. It's 100% going to be an LS. I'll be watching this thread giddy with anticipation.

I love the turbo placement BTW. Form > Function. When I saw those pics, I thought "Oh man, that's perfect".

#27 ·
Man, my buddy has faced a FFR Cobra Rep for years and with his 347 stroker in it, it is already a handful!!!! I can't imagine a turbo LS . . . . Crazy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.