LS1GTO Forums banner

Storage Time.

2K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  Unclassified 
#1 ·
I took advantage of the nice day today for the yearly ritual. I gave the goat the full Adam's detail before putting her asleep for the winter. I also did all the other usual things needed when storing for a 4-5 months.

This is my 4th year of winter storage with the YJ. It seems like each year gets easier to put her away. I always enjoy the 1st fire up come spring. It always feels like a new car starting her up again. It also looks like I upped my mileage this year to 3,500, sitting at 72,500 as she rests.

I don't expect any mods during the winter but will be updating the suspension and bushings come spring. I purchased some BC coilovers and bushing package this fall and will install them in the spring. I also have my SAP lower grill from WCS to put in as well.

Has anyone else gone into storage yet? What kind of mileage did you put on this year? How about your mods for this winter or early spring?

#2 · (Edited)
Our 05 YJ is sitting in the garage with a cover for the winter. It will only come out when it gets nice again.

Mods that are going to come are a smaller pulley for the procharger and a dyno tune.

We got the other GTO's to daily drive in the time being until next spring to bring her out again.

This is how she sits...

#3 ·
C-c-c-combobreaker! I just put my snow tires on my YJ today. She's ready for another season of mischief on snowy and uninhabited streets and parking lots...

I plan on stockpiling a lot of new suspension parts to install when spring returns, also. And so far this year, I've put on over 10k miles. Will probably top 12k.

#4 ·
put mine to bed a few weeks ago, spring time will be putting a monster stage 3 plus finally getting nitrous put on. And re dyno tuning and that should be about it. Bought it in July with 24,000 now has 38,000. but speedo was fast do to having 4.10's so miles are a little lower.

#5 · (Edited)
What the H$ll...did John Travolta sell you his bubble?

Mine put away last Sunday....see avatar.

#7 · (Edited)
Haven't put mine away yet. I don't have a garage so I need to clean out my mother's garage so I can put it in there for the winter. My show truck will be in my buddy's shop all winter getting some MAJOR mods done (straight axle conversion and a wicked paint job). The boat has been winterized and put away and I think we're gonna put the GXP in my in-laws' barn. Geez. I need to build a garage.

#8 · (Edited)
I did a full detail (wash, clay, wax) and put her in hibernation in late Oct. I would like to do wheels, tires, a fast102 & NW TB, but I have a friend getting married in Mexico next year so not sure where the funds will end up lol. Good luck with the BC's & Bushings! What a difference they make!!! Not much driving this year, put maybe 2k on.

#9 ·
No snow, no salt, no storage at least not yet. It's getting close now though and I haven't put the two piece stub bolts on yet so I'm not driving it either :(. I put maybe 3,500-4,000 miles on her this year. She's just shy of 50,000 and when I took delivery on June 7, '04 she had 5 miles. I did half of those miles the first 3 years but I've throttled back the last 5 years.

#10 ·
As of November 1st GTO is on storage insurance , cleaned inside and out ( when isn't it LOL), winterized, on battery tender and covered. Bass boat is cleaned , emptied of all gear , covered ( always is) and stored in friends pole barn, and all 3 batteries on tenders.Chevelle is cleaned (except still has 9.99 dial in on windows from last race few weeks ago) both batteries on tenders, fuel switched from alcohol to race gas for winter and fuel system flushed, antifreeze good to -20. Have a few suspension parts for the GTO on order now . Things i hope to get before April 1st are DR's, possible new wheels, trans cooler, tune, rear shocks, atleast H pipe and mufflers and Aeroforce gauges.Lots more id like but these are the most likely to happen.

#12 ·
Got to be loving that!

#13 ·
Chesterfield?
Where are you at?

#14 ·
Very soon here in New york my baby is going into hibernation. I too like that feeling in the spring when I fire her up and all the birds in the neighborhood take off in a scared daze !!!!!!!!!!! Im doing some ls3 heads and intake this year (i was told thats a better option bu Kyne than getting the 243s cnc'd)to match my cam i did last spring. If anyone knows where i can get a set let me know.

#17 ·
This is my 4th year of winter storage with the YJ. It seems like each year gets easier to put her away. I always enjoy the 1st fire up come spring. It always feels like a new car starting her up again. It also looks like I upped my mileage this year to 3,500, sitting at 72,500 as she rests.

Has anyone else gone into storage yet? What kind of mileage did you put on this year? How about your mods for this winter or early spring?
Put mine away on storage last Sunday. Only put 1000 miles on it this summer, sitting at 21,500 now after 8.5 years of ownership.

#19 ·
i drove mine to work today....80 miles round trip...IAT's were at 67* :)

#20 ·
I may possibly add in a gauge pod as well this winter.
Anyone have any experience with the different ones?
Just looking for oil & volt gauges.
JHP's are bit pricey.
SCSS Gator pods w/Aeroforce gauges....
SCSS w/Analog gauges...
Would appreciate any insight.

#22 ·
I have the JHP, and it looks great. Can't tell it's not factory.

#28 ·
Still have mine out, hoping the weather will hold out for another week or so... my kooks street screamer should be here in about a week!!!!

I have lots of bushings to install this winter, line lock, and working on a customer gauge cluster gauge pod.

would like to do more but funds need to go to upgrading my old oil furnace to natural gas......

Hate buying things I need vs. buying things I "need" for the Goat.

#31 · (Edited)
put her away for the winter today...noticed a small coolant leak from the trans cooler fitting on the radiator...i put a wrench on it and it didn't budge...guess it's time to do some radiator research on here...

Attachments

#32 ·
If you stored it with the bumper off I guess you have all winter to figure it out.
Hope it's something simple for you.

#33 ·
thanks...yes, so do i....not looking forward to removing all the maggie cooling lines and HE....geesh....lol

#34 ·
Mine was put away 2 weeks ago, oil changed, stabil and seafoam in the tank and battery tender on. I think I only put 980 miles on it this year, just crossed 60,000. Seems to be less and less every year. Still love driving it though. I just need to get a car cover, my garage doors dont seal very well.. No mods on the horizon, bikes and guns are taking all my $$$ nowadays.

#35 ·
Just got her detailed. No garage yet on the waiting list because we just moved. 800miles since February 1800 total I believe. On her way up to Andrew this weekend for port work and a tune. Hopefully will have a garage by then to sit her sexy fat ass in

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.