LS1GTO Forums banner

sleeper cam results

7K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  666GOAT 
#1 ·
I rarely see results using lower duration cams and wanted to share. This is a conservative build with daily driving in mind. This cam has the slightest chop that most people don't notice and is completely smooth with the a/c on. It drives like it's stock but feels much stronger. The cam is the TSP Sleeper 220 .581 114, using the 1218 springs and had to go .025 longer on the pushrods to get the lifter preload correct. The car has 1 3/4" long tubes, catless mids, and magnaflow axle back muflers. After tuning final numbers were 396 391 but passed 5500 rpm the maf didn't go up any higher and the map dropped down to 93kpa, the stock air box and paper filter are next to go and we will see how much more it picks up.

See less See more
#2 ·
The cam I installed in my GTO was as follows:
Duration @ .050 Intake - 216.6 Exhaust - 231.4
Valve Lift Intake - .635 Exhaust - .594
Lobe Separation Angle - 116.5º

Which yielded me a 30/20 rwhp gain with nothing other than a K&N CAI on the car. Not many people put a small cam in these cars or they do but want it to be a secret. It is nice to see other people out there doing it and showing their results. But what were your stock numbers?

#11 · (Edited)
I did not get a baseline, but on that same dyno a customer of mines bone stock 06 put 331 down, and a friend of mines 05 made 364 with catted long tubes and a cai on the same dyno as well. All 3 cars are manual trans and cf was std.

Nice numbers for smaller cam. Not too bad. Proves bigger is not always better, probably makes some good usable torque down low too. Can't wait to see the numbers with a upgraded intake setup.
Thanks, Ill post updates after the intake issue is fixed and again after heads.

Nice results. Dropping a CAI on her will easily out you over the 400 mark. Go Svede or bust! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
It should with the restriction it has, I might be doing something a little Hardcore though.

#5 ·
Nice results. Dropping a CAI on her will easily out you over the 400 mark. Go Svede or bust! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
Should be over 400 SAE once you get rid of the stock airbox. 93 kpa at WOT certainly indicates a large restriction considering you live at sea level.

There is a big misconception with larger cams. Only the REALLY large cams make less power/torque at lower rms. Cams in the high 220/low 230 range will still kill any baby cam everywhere in the curve. It is just a matter if you can deal with the cam chop or not and the possibility of driveability issues down low.

#10 ·
Cams in the high 220/low 230 range will still kill any baby cam everywhere in the curve. It is just a matter if you can deal with the cam chop or not and the possibility of driveability issues down low.
That is simply not true. I went from a Comp 228/232 to a EdC 220/224 and the baby cam has it all over the Comp until 5500 where the it started pulling better. But not buy much.

#18 ·
This an A4 or M6 ?

#23 ·
1) Too much power for a A4 to make

2) It's in his sig......M6

I'm just going to assume that stock your car made something close to 340rwhp stock. Nice numbers and a Svede would get you over the 400 mark.

#21 ·
Yes, I knew I wouldn't make as much HP with a smaller cam, but when I did my cam swap the GTO was my daily driver and low speed manners were important (bumper to bumper on the freeway will do that to you :) )

Back the the OP's original post -make sure you post your update when you get the intake and MAF situation addressed. It looks like you have a nice setup!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.