LS1GTO Forums banner

Roller Rocker Clearance Issues

5K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  TDB 
#1 · (Edited)
Can someone advise which if any Roller Rockers will clear the stock LS2 valve covers? Also, how much if any benefit will they provide on an aggressively cammed LS2 engine? Thanks in advance. "Search" did not produce much info.

#12 ·
I have crane gold 1.7 adjustable RR's and had clearance issues on both rocker covers. Passenger side was much worse and needed some pretty heavy massaging.

I wouldn't buy, or not buy, a rocker solely on the fact that it clears or doesn't clear O.E. rocker covers. Choose your RR based on quality and then budget! It's simple enough to correct any issues and at most adds an hour to the install.

#3 ·
If I were to do it again, I'd pass on roller rockers (unless I had Trick Flows). What I would have done instead was replace the bearings on the stockers.

IMHO: The rollers don't provide enough benefit, and are noisy as hell (I've got Harland Sharps). Stockers haven;t had any reported cases of the ever going bad (aside from losing the crappy bearings.

$130, a vise, and some sockets and you'll easily replace the bearing yourself.

-P

#4 ·
Thanks

#5 ·
love my yella terras, but they did have clearance issues. just grounded off the little mushroom lookin things under the valve covers and they fit perfectly :)

#8 ·
+1 thats what took care of my clearance problems with my Harland Sharps.

#16 ·
My Yella Terra's fit fine as long as I didn't use the suppled shims...

#17 ·
I had the same problem with the Comp Cams Ultra gold rockers and had clearance issues even after machining. I ended up having to go with 1/2" valve cover spacers. After that, no problems.

Check out this link at GM HTP. http://www.gmhightechperformance.co...ckers_upgrade/valvetrain_rocker_arm_type.html

It has been posted on the forums before and is why I switched rocker arms along with my cam (0.617 and 0.621 lift).

Tom

#19 ·
I had the same problem with the Comp Cams Ultra gold rockers and had clearance issues even after machining. I ended up having to go with 1/2" valve cover spacers. After that, no problems.
Scorpion makes the rockers for Comp. ;)
Check out this link at GM HTP. http://www.gmhightechperformance.co...ckers_upgrade/valvetrain_rocker_arm_type.html

It has been posted on the forums before and is why I switched rocker arms along with my cam (0.617 and 0.621 lift).

Tom
*Might* be an issue with TFS heads but the OEM, AFR, DART, Performance Induction heads have no issues going with high lift grinds. :D

Ed

#18 ·
It is not a question of which rockers clear the valve covers, but whether your particular set of covers will clear the rockers. Both YT and Scorpion rockers are touted to clear factory covers, but the rub is that the tolerances on the covers are crap. They are all over the place. I had some mild contact with the sheet metal baffling for the no-longer-used PCV outlets. Nothing serious, but irritating nonetheless. I ground off the rivets, bosses, and removed the sheet metal and have no clearance issues without resorting to risers.

#20 ·
Thanks, Ed. As always, you are a wealth of information and an asset to the forum.

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.