LS1GTO Forums banner

Painting rotors and calipers

4K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  TObey 
#1 ·
I am doing this... Will 250 degree high temp VHT paint be good? Thought I'd better ask before doing the rest. Search just brought up "hi temp" paint. Rotor is taped off...

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Meh. I painted the caliper bridges with that paint and it isn't very durable. The *one* time I brought it in for a 10 minute detail at the car wash (before Palmer's 2012 party), the lackey scrubbed the caliper bridge and exposed the rotten metal underneath.

You'd be better off powder coating if you don't want a bigger mess to strip and redo in a year, IMO. YMMV.

#4 ·
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=456817

Read my posts 8 & 11. I haven't shot my rotors with an IR heat gun, but they have got to get hotter than 250 degrees. I've had the rotors on my 06 painted for 2 years and my 05 for all of last summer and they still look like new and have never chipped.

#7 · (Edited)
I've had EXELLENT results with duplicolor ceramic caliper paint

It's all in the part prep. A little extra work in the beginning, safes a lot of extra work later

#8 ·
I used engine block paint on my rotors and calipers. No problems at all.

Paint after 1 year:

#11 ·
I like the G2 paint and have used it many times. The rear Wilwood rotor hats are painted with it. G2 states good up to 980 degrees.

I did try the Duplicolor on the Mustang and it looks good after two years.

#16 ·
I spent some time checking and I would drive 3 miles stop light to stop light. Though my works 3 story parking garage and into a stall.

Rotor would always be right at 125F by the time I got the gun on them.

That was as little use as possible so imaging what a freeway or panic stop creates. :)

#18 ·
Why not just buy paint that is specifically made for the job you are doing. Google Caliber Paint, can goes for under $10. I think I bought a can at Advanced Auto when I did mine.

#22 ·
Engine enamel works. The key is to prep, prep, prep, and prep.

Oh yeah, and bake after you are done. If I paint headers, I touch an open propane flame to the paint after it dries. Other parts I let hang directly in front of a propane heater.

Been working for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.