LS1GTO Forums banner

Not satisfied with Torquer V2 as "street" cam. Too big?

61K views 60 replies 40 participants last post by  ts114 
#1 ·
Ok, this thread is going to be all personal preference, but i'm not satisfied yet with the torquer as a "street" cam. Dont get me wrong the cam screams up top around 4500-5500 rpms and produces excellent numbers, but really sucks mid-range and down low, off idle to 3500. The tune is on all around, has been checked several times, and I'm convinced it's as good as its going to get for now. It seems as if this cam has taken the "street" out of my car though, as it only wants to run at high rpms. I'm not looking to get the biggest numbers out there, but wanted a cam with nice gains for playin on the street all through the rpm range because I never go to the track. I think I went too big on my choice for a "street" cam. I haven't installed a F.A.S.T. intake/throttle body yet, but don't think that is going to solve my problem either, if not make the problem worse for things mid and down low. I know to gain up top one usually loses down low and understand that, would like to see better tq/hp numbers mid and down low.

Any suggestions on some different mods to try and help low to midrange with this cam or mabye even a different camshaft that is considered a bit more "streetable"? Thanks.

#3 · (Edited)
What is your LSA on?

your specs should be 232/234 .595 .598

I had this same cam but on a 114LSA i really loved the cam, it was a great street cam for my car. But i also had this is an LS2 not an LS1.

#42 ·
Agreed. I had a 224/228 in my LS1 Trans Am, and I loved that cam for it's daily drivable nature.

You mean to tell me that a big cam isn't good for the street? Well by golly this is news to me. I mean, its not like I say it in every single cam thread I can find that too big a cam will make your car slow.
Well, it doesn't make it slow unless it's a donkey dick cam. It'll just move the power band up to a point that you will probably not see very often. Sort of like a really hot chick riding with some dufus in Toyota Corolla.

true. hmmm, based on this guy's report, maybe i should be considering something smaller like a vrx4...

it seems most people get these cams and wish they went bigger after they get used to it...
As has been said, you will always get used to your mods. It happens.

#7 ·
You mean to tell me that a big cam isn't good for the street? Well by golly this is news to me. I mean, its not like I say it in every single cam thread I can find that too big a cam will make your car slow.

#8 ·
I'm not looking to get the biggest numbers out there, but wanted a cam with nice gains for playin on the street all through the rpm range because I never go to the track.
i have the exact same goals as you, and i've been very close to buying this cam package on 114lsa all week for my ls2. i'll be putting a 3600 stall in it though, so that might help. i def don't want to have to make a 1/4 mi run to appreciate the gains on my mods. this is the first adverse report on this cam i've read, and i think i'm still gonna go with it... i don't want to go with too small of a cam and wish i went bigger later.

#9 ·
There is something between big cams and small cams. Its called a medium cam.
Plus, you can always add heads to a cam to get another 25rwhp, if you aren't happy with the results.

#11 ·
a lot of people consider the torquer 2 a medium cam. big is like 243/247 .629/.629... or even 238/242 is gonna be noticeably bigger than a 232/234. from what i've read tv2 is very medium. maybe the bigger end of medium but still. maybe he should've gone with the vrx3 or vrx4.

#13 ·
Its all personal preference. I would say to the OP that a 224 range cam is gonna give him everything he is looking for without all the drama.

#16 ·
Truthfully, anything you do to your car you will get used to. Ask me how slow my 449rwhp feels after having it for 6 months.

This post has been deleted
#26 ·
Thank you for this post, ESPECIALLY the last sentence. Maybe you can win some hearts and minds away from the donkey dick cams and back towards rationality and good old fashioned, low end, V8 torque.

#18 ·
i love my torquer V2.

...its about the only thing from TS&P ive been satisfied with thus far, but hey... 1 for 6 isnt that bad when your used to cheering for houston sports teams.

i do agree that it sucks some of the low end life out of the LS1, but sweet jesus when it creeps up into the top of the tach, its like a friggin 150 shot kicking in.

i think the problem with your setup is the lack of a man pedal.

jmho.

#24 ·
oh snapsauce!

my mind must still be full of alcohol from this weekend, i could have sworn he was talking about changing the stall out.

*after re-reading, turns out i am still drunk.

#22 ·
I'm not saying that this cam sucks or that it is not doing what it is supposed to do. This thread was not made to bash the T2! It is actually freakin awesome up top and makes nice numbers. Like Offaxis said, lets leave the drama out of this. Not here to bash anything, just to compare notes.

I am just asking if anyone else with the LS1 feels the same way about the serious lack of low end / mid range power with this cam and what are some other suggestions for mods or even a new cam to reach my goal which is NOT to see who has the biggest numbers on paper, but rather have nice pull throughout the full rpm range. I like the suggestions for the 224 cam and have seen some nice flat curves through mid rpm range with that cam. I was actually considering the 224 cam before I went with the T2.

"Most of them are on your basic run of the mill XE or XE-R lobe, and the majority of them don't make any low end TQ." - Damian

Damian you made some nice educated points, and seem to see exactly what I'm talking about. Any suggestions on where to get a cam which you've described? How big of lift is that cam creating?

#23 ·
Originally, I intended to go with a bit smaller cam since my car is a DD, but so far I love the V2.

The goat is a whole new animal and a blast to drive! JMO it's a very nice cam for a daily driver.:cents:

#28 ·
/\ - That cam is a tad on the small side, but will make some nice off-idle power.

Thank you for this post, ESPECIALLY the last sentence. Maybe you can win some hearts and minds away from the donkey dick cams and back towards rationality and good old fashioned, low end, V8 torque.
Man, I've been trying for years to get this point across. Unfortunately most people fall into the internet hype, only to be disappointed when their car makes 20 less rwhp than "the one they saw on the internet".

This post has been deleted
#30 ·
doesnt the LSA have a lot to do with where the power jumps in?

i thought the lower the LSA, the higher in the RPM range the power comes on.

#33 ·
This is the cam you want TR224 on a 112
Your wont be sorry,it does everything well and sounds tuff in a LS1

#36 ·
When you say you feel like it's sluggish at low rpms, are you comparing it to how it felt with the stock cam, or could it possibly feel sluggish because it pulls so damn hard above 3500RPM???

Just downshift. Being an M6, you should never be out of the power when you want it. I have the same cam in my LS1 and LOVE it.

For the feeling the car gives me when it starts to pull hard, I can live with the .5 sec. it takes for the cam to come on. :gears:

#37 ·
Well believe it or not, this thread has actually helped me in my decision. thanks to the honesty and educated input by a few members. Thanks guys.

#38 ·
i have a solution for allllll your lowend problems. GET a Maggie!!!!!!!!!!!!! almost 460lb. at 2k rpm and 470hp at redline is something no cam will ever get you.

#44 ·
Ed, just out of curiosity, where are the track/dyno results from your camshafts? Do you have anything recent to report?

I put heads on a car that had your 232/236 grind in it a little while back and that cam seemed decent with great driveability. Are you using a generic lobe design or is it custom?

Thanks

#45 ·
i had a v2 torquer in my 02 ta and it was just fine as far as dd and street maners. i went to the ms4 (649-609 242-244 i think) and that is a little more difficult to drive on the street. i have the v2 torquer in my 06 gto and it drives like a dream. i guess its all in what you want man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.