LS1GTO Forums banner

Going to attempt a Diff. Rebuild

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  littlemissGTO 
#1 ·
After seeing this thread: http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436417

I have decided to pop the Differential out of the GTO, and replace the Springs lurking inside of it. My reason for doing this is becaise it will spin a single wheel 75% of the time unless you are driving completely straight, and doing it myself will save some $$$. I'll also mention that the differential is not leaking, the single wheeling is the only issue currently.

Now the reason for making this thread in the first place; Should I just buy the spring kit and tear into it, or should I buy a minor installation kit and the springs? Or should I just buy a set of seals and the springs? I have no plans of removing the pinion, because from what I understand, once the side adjusters are removed the internals should essentially fall out, and since the ring and pinion are well worn in I see no point in trying to re-shim anything, hence not pulling the pinion out. So that's about where I'm at.

Cliff-notes: I'm replacing the springs in my differential, what else do I need to purchase to install them; Seals? Bearings? Black RTV and a lottery ticket?

Any help is appreciated, I'll also post up pictures and whatnot when I get around to changing them out!

See less See more
#2 ·
all you would really need is some RTV. A tool to remove the side adjusters will make this much easier.
I'd suggest taking a sharp chisel and marking both side adjusters and the housing case with a scribe line or mark, so you can line both back up exactly where they are now. This will set your backlash and preload on the carrier bearings back to where they are now.

the only issue is finding the diff spring tuning kit...if you don't have one, they are tough to find right now

#6 · (Edited)
Did you see the pictures from that thread? The bearing and race was not good, the OP replaced them.

Look at this bearing race:

Good luck with the rebuild Forza, reading that thread makes me want to tear into mine. Will be watching for how your looks when taken apart.

#4 ·
Do it Yourself. This relatively easy project will give you confidence to do other projects. A great learning experience.

#9 ·
I coudln't agree more. :)
if his bearings look like those pics, he would know (that would make a lot of noise)
That bearing is why I tore into my diff, it was noisy as all get out.
Well I called Geforce, and they don't have any spring kits available, So the order time is about six weeks. :bomb:
That's a bummer, but it gives you time to get prepared for the install. I'm glad my thread gave you the courage to do your own rebuild. This was one of the easier projects I've tackled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.