LS1GTO Forums banner

Any good books to learn how to tune efi?

7K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  cjmcalister 
#1 ·
I'm more of a textbook type of a guy and just have a hard time getting a good clear message from some of the HP tuners forums. It seems like such a waste of time to skim through 45 posts to get the 3 that really mean something and answer the questions I have. So does anyone know of a good textbook or guidebook that I could actually sit down and read. It is always nice to have reference material to go back on and take notes as well. I know from many of you and from what I have already gleamed from the forums, there is no replacement for experience and doing it yourself making small adjustments are key....one step at a time. Fact of the matter is , I just want to know more about what to adjust and why.........for example. Tuner "a" adjusted a table in such a way because lt headers were added, he needed to adjust the table for the increased volume of air that could run through an engine. What I want to know is what table he changed and why....not how much was changed.......

Any insight or help is greatly appreciated. Thank you from a new tuner wanna be that is looking at getting informed before purchasing HP tuners.

#10 ·
The Tuning School books didn't help me at all with my setup. They're more for someone starting stock and working their way up NA.

I have Greg's $25 advanced book and it was better than the Tuning School package that cost me hundreds of dollars.

#12 ·
Not to mention the tuning schools beginner book teaches to rape PE tables :bomb:

OP - the other books mentioned here are great! In addition to those be prepared to read, read, search, read, read, search, search, ask, read, read.. You have to understand the events that you're altering before you actually make changes, imo.

Enjoy!

#13 ·
Banish's books are great as is Ben Strader's book.

The EFI Live forum has a lot less idiots and ricers than the HPT forum.

#14 ·
Do they actually answer questions there?
HPtuners forum has four kind of scenarios.

1) Someone asks a beginner level question:
READ THE STICKIES NOOB - HI FIVES ALL AROUND

2) Someone asks an intermediate question
11ty billion different answers and a flame war erupts

3) Someone asks an advanced question
silence

4) WHERE IS DODGE SUPPORT
silence

#17 ·
Thank you guys. Gotta get to barns and noble to check out the selection. Figured I have a whole winter worth of long nights to get the new heads ordered installed and hp tuners ordered. Lot of time in there to read read read read read. P90x read read read read work repeat. Thanks a million!

#21 ·
^^^ The best advice ever! And, a serious word of advice, DO NOT waste your money on Greg Banish's crappy books! A complete waste of money IMO!

#22 ·
Advanced Tuning by Greg Banish, look on youtube he has a few videos on there too if u want to see what his dvd is like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.