LS1GTO Forums banner

Vararam causing boost?

3K views 42 replies 33 participants last post by  Quiksilver 
#1 ·
So my buddy and I were in his G8 yesterday messing with his new scan gauge. He has a Vararam intake and claimed he had been seeing 1.2lbs of boost. I didn't believe him, but at around 60mph and up he was seeing a steady reading of 1-1.5. Does this seem possible? Or is it possibly a false reading? Either way, I'm anxiously waiting the arrival of my Vararam :)

#3 ·
Gauge/sensor inaccuracy. They aren't exactly precision instruments.

#7 ·
I was thinking about installing 6 Vararams. That should put me at about 7psi of boost. Do you think that would be safe or should I upgrade my intake bolts. I dont want them blowing out! :rclap:

#13 ·
I was thinking about installing 6 Vararams. That should put me at about 7psi of boost. Do you think that would be safe or should I upgrade my intake bolts. I dont want them blowing out! :rclap:
n00b. Everyone knows your upgrade your floorpan bolts first before the manifold pressure blows it off.

#8 · (Edited)
Are you freaking kidding me? That isn't a serious post, is it?

If your buddy is magically defying the laws of physics and managing to get 1-1.5 pounds over atmospheric pressure into his engine without a compressor of some sort, then yea, it's COMPLETELY possible!!! Tell him to plasti dip the whole intake to pack on another 3 pounds of BOOOOOST! Keep your head back in your seats boys and girls! Those Vararams will give you whiplash! :eek:

Why the hell did I even bother putting twin turbochargers on my GTO? I should have just bought a Vararam and could have gotten the same results! DANG IT!! :banghead:

The LS1GTO community is getting dumber year after year. Coming to the forums is pathetic anymore

#9 · (Edited)
Just for fun..fuel to the fire:

"More specifically, volumetric efficiency is a ratio (or percentage) of what quantity of fuel and air actually enters the cylinder during induction to the actual capacity of the cylinder under static conditions. Therefore, those engines that can create higher induction manifold pressures - above ambient - will have efficiencies greater than 100%...With proper tuning, volumetric efficiencies above 100% can also be reached by naturally aspirated engines. The limit for naturally aspirated engines is about 137%."

Not an engine expert by any means, but thought this definition was interesting. I'm also not saying this intake causes boost either. I'll leave that to the 'experts.'

#10 ·
NOICE brah! BE CAREFUL on that stock bottom end, I don't know how long it can hold up with that much booooost. Oh yeah my vararam added 780 shot naaaawwwzzz.:turbonaug

P.S. Check your blinker fluid when running that vararam and keep plenty of plasti dip on hand.

#12 ·
Although it may sound funny, but a perfectly built N/A engine can actually build very, very little boost on its own; without any "boosters"!!! This is when VE simply exceeds 100%! It's extremely very uncommon on street cars (more of a NASCAR thing), but who knows! I can't claim I've seen it all and start mocking! Some performance European engines can do that readily! But seriously, this perfection is not something you can easily see around!

Some replys are even dumber than mine, bro!

#14 · (Edited)
I agree with what others have said, false reading / inaccurate gauge.

HOWEVER, when DA drops in the colder climates (talking -1000) a NA engine can experience a natural "supercharging" of the air due to the air being so dense than usual. Hence Atco Raceway in NJ is considered the "cheater's track" cause it is at sea level and frequently gets what's called "mineshaft air" where the DA drops to -2000.

And if OP is serious at all with this question, intakes which do not involve forced induction do not create boost! The environment can under right circumstances (and even then it's minor about enough to see an extra tenth or two at the track) , forced induction products can, a freakin pipe with a filter on the end of it will not.

#15 ·
G8 has a PID for boost? Who knew?

#16 ·
Higher than 100%VE is NOT boost, its just higher than 100%VE. Increasing VE beyond 100% will not make your manifold pressure go above ambient.

#22 ·
:lol:

Now me and the mad scientist have to rip apart the block, and replace the piston rings you fried!!!

Your lucky that 100 shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake!!!! :turbonaug

#20 ·

#24 ·
Good Christ, I heard you had to have thick skin on here. I was skeptical, as I'm familiar with supercharged applications but I'd never seen anything like this before. So I guess the answer is a resounding NO... All that being said, I think I'll go get some fender vent stickers to add 30hp. Thanks for the warm welcome lol

#25 ·
Welcome, bish!

You do need thick skin here, but what we will do here to you is nothing compared to what that lunatic twat named Real Life™ will to do you if you try and bring any weak ass shit. Think of this forum as basic training. Also, our advice and knowledge is awesome, so instead of charging currency, we sharpen our wit and our tongues. TO BATTLE!

#28 ·
Well said :D

Also, it was the "boost" function on his aeroforce. I told him to scan the MAP, and he insisted he was correct, so ill be sure to show him this post!
Welcome to the herd! Tell your friend he's a tard too while you're at it. Report back on your fender vent sticker findings with the Aeroforce

#26 ·
Also, it was the "boost" function on his aeroforce. I told him to scan the MAP, and he insisted he was correct, so ill be sure to show him this post!

#27 ·
Well this gang bang sure turned into a cluster fuck.

#29 ·
Don't let your idiot friend go around telling people his intake creates 1.5lbs of boost. He's going to make our community look like a bunch of 17 year old honda folk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.