LS1GTO Forums banner

Ring Gap???

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Jaime Lannister 
#1 ·
I am currently building a 408 lq4 that is going to see plenty of Nitrous (250hp +). The engine is going into my daily driver and will continue to be my daily. I was just wondering what I should set the ring gaps at, wasn't sure if it was different due to the Nawzzz.:gears:

#2 ·
Your ring manufactorer should have gap sizes listed for your use.

#3 ·
Mine are .024 and .028, IIRC stock was .022 and .026, I opened them up just a touch for N20 should I decide on that

#4 ·
Rings were the standard set that come with Wiseco pistons sets. Pistons came with the rotating assembly I got from Texas Speed so I never dealt with the manufacturer and forgot to ask TX Spd.

#5 ·
Hope you have better luck with wiesco than I did. Had a problem with the skits cracking ended up costing me a block, was disappointed cause I ran wiesco for years in my 4 wheelers. The shop that does my machine work said mine were not the first ones they have seen crack. Switched to diamond pistons and haven't had a problem since.

#7 ·
You'll always run into people with horror stories about any manufacturer, I was just reading about a engine build that went south with custom Diamond pistons that melted...doesn't mean that they were at fault.

I use dozens of sets of Wiseco pistons every year, not just selling them, I personally build engines with them every week and I'll stand by my statement that they're the best race piston out of the box for the price. They are closely weight matched, always on size, come well deburred, the pin fit is good, and they have an excellent ring set. Better than nine times out of ten if you have a "piston problem," it was due to improper machine work, assembly, or tuning.

Even forgoing price, if I was given the choice between a set of Mahle, Diamond, JE, or Wiseco pistons, I'll pick the Wiseco's every time.

#8 ·
I'm looking at over a 300 hit if I want and trying to decide to go dual stage with progressive controller or just a single. First time with nitrous but have had boosted cars before. Had TSP build mine and they said it could take well over 300. How can u tell my looking at the ring gap? Just curious so I can look at my blueprint for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.