front wheel bearing DIYs? - Page 2 - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Suspension/Steering/Brakes

Old 01-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #31
dantheman
ROW ROW ROW...

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to dantheman Send a message via MSN to dantheman Send a message via Yahoo to dantheman
shit i didnt realize they were so cheap.

i had to replace one of my whole hub assemblies and swapped my bearing off my car cause i knew the mileage vs the one i got from cleveland pick a part. i would have ordered a new bearing had i realized it was only 100 bux.
SNL 346, AFR 205s, TSP 233/239, Fast 92/92, SSOTRCAI, SW LT's, Full 3in Catback with Xpipe and magnaflows, Monster LT1S twin disc, RPM level 4 trans, gforce CF 1pc DS, pedders street II, staggered VMR V710 18s.

465/422
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #32
My1970Boss
Noobie

2005 GTO Owner

Installed new Timken units on both sides as part of my CTS-V2 brake upgrade and pulling and replacing these assemblies is the easiest part. It's cheap insurance and @ 65,000 miles why not. The Timken units in the box have "NSK MADE IN JAPAN" on them and the OEM units also said "NSK MADE IN JAPAN" on them. Only negative for me was that I have a bad wheel speed sensor and was hoping it was one of my front hubs, alas it was not. I will be replacing the rear sensors when I do the Harrop diff cover, later on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-15-2017, 04:13 PM   #33
wayne_powers

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napalm...View Post
surely on this site somewhere there are still pics of these - but the hub unit is sealed, and carries inside the inner bearing race the encoder for the ABS sensor. thus the non-rebuildable unit.

There once was a thread about replacing them - pretty easy, jack car, pull wheel, caliper and rotor, with 10mm hex drive you find the 3 bolts - take them out - hub falls out. I suggest cleaning said bolts and putting fresh blue loctite on them.

reverse removal - connect wire harness. should be golden. there is not a relearn process for ABS sensor replacement necessary.

So the 10mm hex drive, I got two (the easy ones on the sides) off but the top one is the most difficult. Clearly since I have gotten two off I'm using the right tool but DAMN! There is a large nut and bolt that is in the way. Need recommendations on how to get this 1 bolt off

Old 03-15-2017, 05:06 PM   #34
itslow
TACHNUP

2004 GTO Owner

Did you not follow the instructions posted above?
Old 03-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #35
wayne_powers

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslow...View Post
Did you not follow the instructions posted above?

Yeah for the most part. Like I said the top bolt (out of the 3) is the only one that I've been having problems with. I've tried using an allen wrench and double wrenching it but said wrench has started to round out the bolt.

The picture should explain to say the least
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	example.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	453121  
Old 03-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #36
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

This is seriously one of the simplest jobs on this car...

( '_')o

(._. )

Quote:
The real enemy of truth is not ignorance, doubt, or even disbelief. It is false knowledge.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:44 PM   #37
wayne_powers

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothubertjfarnsworth...View Post
This is seriously one of the simplest jobs on this car...

First time attempting to replace my studs and trying to get these bolts off. I clearly understand how to remove 2 of them. What I am asking is if there is another way or advice on doing so. NOT just simply saying "Its easy to do". Looking for to hearing what you did to get the top 10mm hex bolt out without removing the bolt around it with limited spacing. ^_^

Last edited by wayne_powers; 03-20-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:27 PM   #38
Assplay?
smell it

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_powers...View Post
First time attempting to replace my studs and trying to get these bolts off. I clearly understand how to remove 2 of them. What I am asking is if there is another way or advice on doing so. NOT just simply saying "Its easy to do". Looking for to hearing what you did to get the top 10mm hex bolt out without removing the bolt around it with limited spacing. ^_^

When I did it,

I took the entire shittery off and put the knuckle in the vice.

You, can get a box end and a socket, 15 or 17mm I believe and pop that strut bolt out and make some room for that 10mm Allen.

A 1/2 drive 18v impact is worth every bit of 200 bux and then some right about now.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:27 AM   #39
itslow
TACHNUP

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Yeah for the most part. Like I said the top bolt (out of the 3) is the only one that I've been having problems with.

Follow ALL of the instructions. Specifically step 7 from the written ones posted by Spooky_Pitboss.

You have to take the nut off of the upper strut-to-knuckle bolt and back the bolt out in order to remove the socket head cap screw that retains the hub assembly.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:12 AM   #40
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:

Some people make the job way harder trying to make it easy on themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: