Coilover adapter - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Suspension/Steering/Brakes

Old 03-15-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
Tylersgto

Coilover adapter

So adding a one inch spacer to put the coilover at a vertical and not at an angle like it is now. I've seen one other person do this other than the mustang coilover guys. The goal here is to make more room on the inside of the front. Has anyone else done this? I have a friend I'm going to ask to make the spacers. The sway bar is still going to be used, but may need an adapter for the angle difference. Any help or guidance on this?
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2017, 05:45 PM   #2
SkiPopeye36
FPFQ Herder

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Spacer where?
Old 03-15-2017, 07:00 PM   #3
WOThrottle

2004 GTO Owner

I'm assuming he's wanting to add a spacer at the point where the coilover mounts to the upright, probably an attempt to get more inside tire clearance. You could weld a spacer of the same length to the sway bar mount on the coilover.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 12:07 AM   #4
Tylersgto

The "Clevis" where you bolt the coilover/strut to the knuckle is where the spacer would go. I picked 1in as an approximation, no measurements have been made yet. It's the same idea as the adapter to mount the mustang coilovers to put cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3407.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	452729  
Old 03-16-2017, 01:14 PM   #5
Tylersgto

No ones ever thought about doing this?
Old 03-16-2017, 02:24 PM   #6
Glynn
Pontiac Fanboy

2006 GTO Owner

I thought this was done years ago by Flink.

flink's progress

First Pontiac: 1997 Grand Prix GT w/:
|SSM90 Blower|Ported Intake|Craptastic Exhaust|Powrtuned|Vogtlands|KYB AGX|GMPP Handling|GXP Brakes|245F&R|
ClubGP: Mr Whitestripes
Old 03-16-2017, 08:13 PM   #7
Tylersgto

I know Flink did it. He was the one I was referencing in my post. I read all his posts about it and was trying to get more information.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:56 AM   #8
Codidious

2006 GTO Owner

When the bottom of the strut gets spaced so that it is more vertical, the car looses some of the SAI (steering axis inclination). This is one of the things that bring the steering wheel back to center when it is released. Having less SAI will make the car feel nervous and not as stable at speed.

Also when the bottom of the strut is spaced, it really doesn't net all that much more space for tires.

A better solution is to use camber plates or an offset strut mount. Either of these will give you much more room for a tire and better alignment angles.

I have camber plates, BC coilovers and with some minor fender rolling I was easily able to 285/30/18 tires.

If you did not want to do all that work, you should be able to fit 265s with bc coilovers and right size spacer on the front

These pictures are with -3.3 camber.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3960.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	452921   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3989.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	372.1 KB
ID:	452929  

Last edited by Codidious; 03-18-2017 at 07:00 AM. Reason: added alignment specs
Old 03-18-2017, 10:46 AM   #9
Tylersgto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codidious...View Post
When the bottom of the strut gets spaced so that it is more vertical, the car looses some of the SAI (steering axis inclination). This is one of the things that bring the steering wheel back to center when it is released. Having less SAI will make the car feel nervous and not as stable at speed.

Also when the bottom of the strut is spaced, it really doesn't net all that much more space for tires.

A better solution is to use camber plates or an offset strut mount. Either of these will give you much more room for a tire and better alignment angles.

I have camber plates, BC coilovers and with some minor fender rolling I was easily able to 285/30/18 tires.

If you did not want to do all that work, you should be able to fit 265s with bc coilovers and right size spacer on the front

These pictures are with -3.3 camber.

That's awesome information!!! With my setup I can already fit 265s. That's just coilovers, 48 offset wheels with 8mm spacers. I was worried so only put 255s on first. How much were the camber plates? And does it kill your tires with -3.3 camber?
Old 03-18-2017, 11:54 PM   #10
Codidious

2006 GTO Owner

The camber plates are kind of pricey at $750, but i think they are worth it.

I am working on a video about the camber plate install so people can get an idea about what is involved.

I try and run closer to -3.0 camber, but it doesn't chow up tires too fast. With my driving style of aggressive city driving and track days + autocross, I usually wear the outside shoulder at the same time as the camber wears the inside. I would not want to take any 10 hour highway trips with this much camber and expensive tires.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:11 AM   #11
Tylersgto

What brand of tire is your 285? I do 3-4 hour highway trips once a month in the car along with aggressive country driving. Haha If I didn't do the long trips I'd be more inclined to go more camber. I'm wondering if a spacer there will also cause change in the suspension geometry.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:33 AM   #12
Xy Borg

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
The camber plates are kind of pricey at $750, but i think they are worth it.

I am working on a video about the camber plate install so people can get an idea about what is involved.

I try and run closer to -3.0 camber, but it doesn't chow up tires too fast. With my driving style of aggressive city driving and track days + autocross, I usually wear the outside shoulder at the same time as the camber wears the inside. I would not want to take any 10 hour highway trips with this much camber and expensive tires.

Just out of curiosity where were you able to source those camber plates? PM me if it's not from a sponsor.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #13
BoostedLT5
You build it, I break it!

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to BoostedLT5
I'm interested in the camber plates as well, I had seen them mounted on top of the strut tower, not below like you have them. The only thing stopping me from doing them is adding them would bump me up a class in the TT series I run and I don't think I'd be competitive in it.

11.18 @ 122.35 1.61 60' 100 Shot 3.46 gears Slowhawk Cam 3995lb Race Weight @ Bradenton, FL
126.xx MPH PB @ Bradenton 100 shot
1.585 60' PB Atco
Old 03-19-2017, 10:14 AM   #14
Tylersgto

Camber plates are great, but running -3 camber kills tires a little faster than I want to at the moment. However I'll run camber plates to get a 285 in there comfortably. Along with my adapters to space the coilover to the knuckle.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:55 PM   #15
Rob@WretchedMS
Suspension Guru

2005 GTO Owner

The biggest issue i have with the lower spacers is the added stress they put on the lower clevis of the strut or coilover. in situations like Autocross when you are putting the car in to situations that you are not likely to on the road it increases the stresses on the mount to the point where it may bend or fail.
I only recommend the spacers for someone that wants to do a mustang style coilover, and only for drag racing.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:26 PM   #16
Tylersgto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@WretchedMS...View Post
The biggest issue i have with the lower spacers is the added stress they put on the lower clevis of the strut or coilover. in situations like Autocross when you are putting the car in to situations that you are not likely to on the road it increases the stresses on the mount to the point where it may bend or fail.
I only recommend the spacers for someone that wants to do a mustang style coilover, and only for drag racing.

I can understand that. I wish flink could comment on this cause he did autocross his car after install of his spacers, and it wouldn't be the design I was thinking. Plus he already had offset strut mounts also, unlike the normal ones I have. I'm going to talk to my machinist about it and see what he says about durability. A big question I have is a design that will be strong and also be able to adjust camber. It's going to happen, guys run the same thing with mustang setups on the street and autoX, and flink was about to run it in autoX. Just want to make sure I make it strong as possible.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:30 AM   #17
cwsly

2004 GTO Owner

If I remember right he had some cracking issues on his KW's. I wouldn't run something like that strictly because of the amount of stress that it puts on everything. With stock mounting I've already had issues with alignment changing on hard corners that actually ended with my tire hitting the fender and causing some damage, with added stress I can only see this issue getting worse.

I run the offset strut mounts with a 285/30 front as well and have been very happy. Much better steering feel, quicker centering and better response, and of course allowing for wider tires. That and I don't have to drill holes in my car, and I still get the comfort of polyurethane rather than a metal plate sitting on the strut tower. It's a win win to me.

04 Pulse Red M6
Old 03-20-2017, 02:18 PM   #18
Glynn
Pontiac Fanboy

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsly...View Post
I run the offset strut mounts with a 285/30 front as well and have been very happy. Much better steering feel, quicker centering and better response, and of course allowing for wider tires. That and I don't have to drill holes in my car, and I still get the comfort of polyurethane rather than a metal plate sitting on the strut tower. It's a win win to me.

Miker style offset Whiteline/Novell mounts or something else?
Old 03-20-2017, 02:43 PM   #19
Tylersgto

The problem with offset strut mounts is they are poly, and they do still colapse. I had a bad poly mount on my car, and had to replace both sides. I wonder if KW inserts would be stronger than normal coilovers. I think camber plates are the best route to go, but also the most expensive. However strut mounts do get expensive to replace over and over again. I'm starting to think I just need to do the mustang coilover mod with camber plates.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:16 PM   #20
Codidious

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylersgto...View Post
Camber plates are great, but running -3 camber kills tires a little faster than I want to at the moment. However I'll run camber plates to get a 285 in there comfortably. Along with my adapters to space the coilover to the knuckle.

With camber plates you do not have to run -3 camber. I leave my camber plates set at the max camber position and do all of the camber adjusting at the stock strut adjuster on the knuckle. This leaves the coilovers angled inboard for max tire clearance.

My wheels are 18x9 et.42 and when I set the camber around -1, I did not need to run any wheel spacer. With the camber set at -3 the tires do not rub, but they are close, so I run a 7mm spacer for comfort factor.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:27 AM   #21
Tylersgto

Quote:
With camber plates you do not have to run -3 camber. I leave my camber plates set at the max camber position and do all of the camber adjusting at the stock strut adjuster on the knuckle. This leaves the coilovers angled inboard for max tire clearance.

My wheels are 18x9 et.42 and when I set the camber around -1, I did not need to run any wheel spacer. With the camber set at -3 the tires do not rub, but they are close, so I run a 7mm spacer for comfort factor.

What tire size and camber plates are you running?
Old 03-21-2017, 10:24 AM   #22
cwsly

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynn...View Post
Miker style offset Whiteline/Novell mounts or something else?

Yep, Miker style setup.

Quote:
The problem with offset strut mounts is they are poly, and they do still colapse. I had a bad poly mount on my car, and had to replace both sides. I wonder if KW inserts would be stronger than normal coilovers. I think camber plates are the best route to go, but also the most expensive. However strut mounts do get expensive to replace over and over again. I'm starting to think I just need to do the mustang coilover mod with camber plates.

If you collapse poly strut mounts that often (ever) you're doing something wrong. My car gets its ass beaten every time I drive it, it's been airborne more times than I'd like to admit, daily driven over potholes and junk roads, etc and these mounts are still 100% perfect. Best part, they were in Shane Whalley's drift car before mine, and you can't tell me that's not the ultimate torture test for parts, especially suspension parts.

Even still, the pillowball's are perfect, the poly is perfect, and I couldn't be happier with this setup.

Also, poly has give which means it's less stressful on the sheet metal of your car. I'd rather collapse a strut mount than punch through the top of a strut tower from running metal on metal. VERY unlikely, but still... FWIW
Old 03-21-2017, 10:33 AM   #23
LS2-GTO
1 of 40,757

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Offset strut mounts look like a fun thing to make.
Gonna make me a set.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:39 PM   #24
Tylersgto

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsly...View Post
Yep, Miker style setup.

If you collapse poly strut mounts that often (ever) you're doing something wrong. My car gets its ass beaten every time I drive it, it's been airborne more times than I'd like to admit, daily driven over potholes and junk roads, etc and these mounts are still 100% perfect. Best part, they were in Shane Whalley's drift car before mine, and you can't tell me that's not the ultimate torture test for parts, especially suspension parts.

Even still, the pillowball's are perfect, the poly is perfect, and I couldn't be happier with this setup.

Also, poly has give which means it's less stressful on the sheet metal of your car. I'd rather collapse a strut mount than punch through the top of a strut tower from running metal on metal. VERY unlikely, but still... FWIW

You have a pillowball and poly strut mount?
Old 03-21-2017, 02:42 PM   #25
Tylersgto

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2-GTO...View Post
Offset strut mounts look like a fun thing to make.
Gonna make me a set.

Now we are getting somewhere. If you're serious I'd like to see how they turn out.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:50 PM   #26
Langdonious Rex
The redheaded stepchild

Other Holden/HSV

Send a message via AIM to Langdonious Rex Send a message via MSN to Langdonious Rex Send a message via Skype™ to Langdonious Rex
Just ordered a set of K-MACs. Haven't decided on which coilovers to go with. Been looking at the BC DR series. Also have a set of Fikse FM10s (18x9 ET38, 18x10 ET51) for extra tire stupidity.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:19 PM   #27
Tylersgto

KMACS won't bolt straight up to a coilover.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:31 PM   #28
Langdonious Rex
The redheaded stepchild

Other Holden/HSV

Send a message via AIM to Langdonious Rex Send a message via MSN to Langdonious Rex Send a message via Skype™ to Langdonious Rex
Quote:
KMACS won't bolt straight up to a coilover.

Have you tried this yourself?
Old 03-21-2017, 05:43 PM   #29
cwsly

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
You have a pillowball and poly strut mount?

Yep, that's what the Whiteline offset mounts are. Steering is buttery smooth. Was the first thing I noticed after install coming from standard Whiteline mounts with bearings.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:44 PM   #30
cwsly

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langdonious Rex...View Post
Just ordered a set of K-MACs. Haven't decided on which coilovers to go with. Been looking at the BC DR series. Also have a set of Fikse FM10s (18x9 ET38, 18x10 ET51) for extra tire stupidity.

Send me some pictures on Facebook? I've been dying to see how they look on a car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: