LS1GTO Forums banner

Anyone notice this?

502 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  glenj3 
#1 ·
I picked up a dmm today to check for a good ground for my big three. I tested the factory battery negative to chasis ground and i got a consistent 2.1 to 2.2 ohms, which is horrible! I'm gonna try scraping the paint and see if that helps. It also seems this factory ground location is a piece welded to the chasis.

#2 ·
Before you go further I'd make sure you aren't reading resistance in the DMM probe wires, does it read zero when you short the leads together? There can also be resistance between the probe tip and the ground point when you take the measurement due to surface corrosion and the small tip area, but the underlying connection itself may be ok.
For a more accurate reading of the resistance in the ground wire, I'd take a voltage reading across it with the engine running and some high-current loads turned on. Anything more than a couple tenths of a volt drop is significant.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. When I touch the leads together it reads .4 or .5 usually. I did a voltage test with stereo turned up: first I put probes on battery posts, and then one on the positive battery and one to where the fender bolts to chasis; I took off all paint. The difference between the volts was only .15 at the max. Is this what you meant to do? Would you say this is a suitable ground point? Also, I think what I thought was the factory ground, isn't. Where exactly is it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.