LS1GTO Forums banner

Help me decide!

3K views 57 replies 23 participants last post by  Equinsu Ocha 
#1 ·
I am going back and forth on headers (not so much brand, just cats or no-cats). I cannot decide. I've been warned about drone and smell and also that cats are power robbers blah blah blah. Is anybody local running a SLP catback with LTs? Anybody that can take me on a ride or something? Catted or catless? I'm ready to pull the trigger, just need alittle bit more info before I do so. All the exhaust vids I've found are outside of the car, I want to hear inside the car and in person.

If it helps, my commute (when I actually drive it to work) is 11 miles round trip. 4 stop lights separate my house and my job. This car is my nice weather toy, although I've been driving it in the rain since the Saab has bald tires. If anybody local doesn't mind meeting up for a ride along, please let me know! Thanks!

#4 ·
I think I'm just gonna buy catless. Mids are cheaper anyway.

#5 ·
catless are louder and stink, but more power.

#6 ·
Catless. Just make sure you get rear O2s tuned out or you have 0 chance of passing inspection, because they plug into your OBDII and that will fail it.

#7 ·
I plan to get Gforce to tune it just because they are local. I ran open headers on my Z28 for like 5 years, with just turn downs at the rear axle and it was a beast. Just not sure about the GTO sound. Oh well, I can alway buy cats if I need to. Can't wait to get the LTs on!

#11 ·
If I go with cats I'm leaning towards the SLP headers. I have a steep drive way and speed bumps in my neighborhood and it seems they tuck up the best.

#13 ·
I just saw/heard another 04 PBM on my way home. Sounded ANGRY! Cannot wait.

#17 ·
Is anybody running loudmouth without cats though? Anybody local? I want a ride along. Or atleast an in car clip

#19 ·
definitely get cats.

the reduction in smell is worth the price of admission.

#21 ·
I've never noticed smell inside a catless car. Outside yes, but it doesn't seem to bother me.

#22 ·
A good tune can get rid of most of the smell.

#23 ·
Decisions, decisions

Hey Matt. I don't know if this will help, but I was running JBA shorties and high flow cats with that exhaust. Here's an idle video.

#24 ·
After much deliberation and little sleep yet again, I think I'm going to order catless mids. If I don't like them I can always order catted mids next. Thanks for all the tips and help!

#25 ·
windows down at a stop you definitely notice it.

anytime im on a cruise or anything people tell me how much they hate being behind me.

but to be fair, my car needs a tune like no bodies business.

#27 ·
Loudmouths sound like absolute garbage catless. Most terrible 2000ish rpm rasp I've ever heard, on any LS vehicle.

An 800whp turbo car lost 8whp with the install of high flow cats. You'd never notice the power difference. If you do go catless - your car is almost stock, you won't have the smell issues at idle that a cammed car would have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.