LS1GTO Forums banner

SD tune w/ MAF?

5K views 60 replies 20 participants last post by  Canada 
#1 ·
Just got back today and got to drive my car today with the new setup. Car is awesome but due to rain I couldn't have too much fun. Over the phone the shop told me they did a SD tune on the car but I noticed the stock MAF was still on. I know usually the MAF goes away and a single coupler is used. I guess my question is, is this normal and would this be holding back some power here? I plan to buy a new coupler soon and ditch the MAF.

Here's a pic...

See less See more
#2 ·
What did you actually pay the shop to do? Build the car or just tune it?

If you just paid them to tune it, than they probably didn't want to mess with your intake setup and just disabled the MAF.

If they did a bunch of other work, including the intake, than yea it's weird to see the MAF on there with an SD tune.

Did they actually say they did an SD tune or they tuned the VE tables?

Maybe they were just lazy and used the MAF for intake air temps instead of running a separate break out sensor.

#6 ·
What did you actually pay the shop to do? Build the car or just tune it?
They built the entire stroker motor that went in and tuned it.

Did they actually say they did an SD tune or they tuned the VE tables?
They said it was SD tuned before I got the car back. I never picked it up. I returned from a deployment today and the car was delivered to my house about a month ago.

And for an SD tune, you need to do a fast acting IAT sensor for consistency's sake. The IAT temps play a dramatic role in fueling - so heat soak can cause the car to run lean.
I figured I would have to order one since the MAF reads the IAT. I will be ordering that and a new coupling and then getting a retune soon. Thanks Andrew. Wish I was closer to CSP since you have already tuned mine before.

#3 ·
Yeah, on the 05/06 you need to do the IAT relocate.

#5 ·
Looks to me like a case of "fake boobs"! An SD tune with a MAF still connected! Now I've seen everything!

I'd check with them what the hell is my MAF doing there connected?!

#7 ·
Order the SVEDE break out kit , The intake already has a hole for relocating it.

#12 ·
see if they unpinned the maf wires or cut them somewhere the iat is in the maf on the ls2.......i went sd wtih mine i just used the breakout harness with a external iat and ditched my maf.....unplug the maf and see how it runs that will tell ya what they did

#13 ·
Yes, I am sure they cut the MAF wires for no reason. No, he shouldn't unplug the MAF until he has the IAT relocated otherwise it will run like shit.

:nonono:

#14 ·
Im pretty sure you can have the SD tune with the maf on, tuner could just set the tune not reading for the maf.

However its kind of defeat the purpose of having the sd tune because most of the people that have sd tune they take off the maf to get rid of any restriction in the intake

#16 ·
IIRC you can try to unplug the maf connector while the car running and see if the idle change any. If your tuner still use the maf the car would idle crazy

#18 ·
Even better, leave the MAF hooked up electrically but disconnect it from the intake tract (so take off two hose clamps, pull off MAF, but leave connector plugged in). You'll still have your IAT input if that's what he's actually doing. If the MAF is still being used, I'd think you'd get a CEL because the MAF frequency would be zero at idle. If no CEL, you've got SD.

Or you could just call the tuner and say wtf....

I guess if the car is running ok than it doesn't really matter what you have, does it?

#24 ·
Fuck you too very much!

#28 · (Edited)
Ive had that done before...they disable the MAF to SD tune it then reenable it for IAT readings etc...your fine but caspers or somebody can make you a breakout harness that will allow you to remove the MAF meter,install an IAT sensor and have them adjust the tune for the changes..Thats what I just did
ask them(tuner) if a Vector Motorsports one will work...I have one i never installed but i think it has a plug for MAF and IAT plug and IAT sensor with it...if you tuner thinks they can ditch the MAF all together and make this harness work Ill give it to you

#29 ·
Why do you need a break-out harness? Just terminate the MAF wires and buy yourself a GM IAT sensor pig tail and solder it on.

2005 GTO
Pin Wire Color Circuit No. Function
A BK 2759 Low Reference
B BK 472 IAT Sensor Signal
C BK/RD 450 Sensor Ground
D PK 439 Sensor Voltage Supply
E BN/WH 492 MAF Sensor Signal

You need low reference and IAT sensor signal wires. The rest can be terminated.

#30 ·
Why do you need a break-out harness? Just terminate the MAF wires and buy yourself a GM IAT sensor pig tail and solder it on.
So you don't ruin the harness and create possible wiring issues down the road. Or in case you want to go back.

#34 ·
no shipping $$$ needed youre in NC anyway it will be cheap...talk to your tuner about it...it will save you some $$ on a break out harness and lose a restriction in the air stream...PM me your address

#35 ·
new and never used Vector Motorsports "heat sink reduction kit" which essentially just moves IAT sensor but you can use it in your set up...probably be fine...Ive had it put up for years and never used it

#37 ·
I got the harness. Thanks Mike27408! Everything looks like it will work . I have a small section of 3 3/4" metal tubing that I had made to go in place of the MAF. I figured a rubber coupler the length I needed would suck in or just not keep its shape at WOT. The rubber grommet I bought from Lowes. I just need to drill a hole in the Svede and everything should be good. With a retune of course.

#46 ·
Not if it's properly shielded from ambient heat. An Omega thermistor in the sensor will improve the situation dramatically.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.