Issue Passing Emissions With Deleted Cats - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Exhaust

Old 04-27-2017, 10:20 AM   #1
moremusclelessrice

Issue Passing Emissions With Deleted Cats

I'm running Kooks longtube headers with off-road mid pipes. I have installed the sensor extension harnesses along with Maverick Man Carbon 02 sensors 90-degree adapters. Both the up and downstream sensors are installed. When I take the car in for emissions it will not pass due to an incomplete readiness monitor for the catalyst. Initially I thought because the car sits over the winter that it needed to be driven in order for all monitors to be checked. However, after driving over 30 miles spanned across several days the same result occurred. The CEL is not on and there are no active codes. Anyone have any suggestions?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2017, 10:31 AM   #2
CGMike

2006 GTO Owner

Were the rear sensors turned off in the tune? Maybe that's whats causing it?

Current Other Cars:
59 VW Bug 1914cc
64 Nova 327 and Muncie, new project.
06 WRX VF43. Mild built motor
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4

www.facebook.com/Avcarsandcoffee/
AV Cars And Coffee every 3rd Sunday
Old 04-27-2017, 11:12 AM   #3
Steel Chicken
Cthulhu's IT D1r3ktФя

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Probably in the tune or you didn't complete the driving cycle.

Quote:
Justice is swift and unfair in the eyes of those who don't know shit. - tmiller

Old 04-27-2017, 11:15 AM   #4
cookmeup272

You should be allowed at least one system to not be ready. Idk how your state operates.
2004 GTO LS1 M6 - SBE, PRC 2.5 62cc Heads, PRC .660 springs, MagicStick v3 cam, Melling High Pressure oil pump, Cometic 0.040" headgasket, Trunion Upgrade, TSP 7.450" pushrods, LS7 Lifters, 42lb injectors, underdrive pulley, Mishimoto radiator, Awespeed intake, Kooks longtubes/Catless mids, Borla catback, Monster Stage 3, 15" Race Star's, MT ET Drags
Best run - 12.1 @ 115, 1.8 60' with above setup/275 Nitto 555r's
12.8 @ 108, 1.8 60' with intake/exhaust/555r's
Old 04-27-2017, 11:22 AM   #5
mistermike
May I quote you on that?

2004 GTO Owner

GKPW52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Chicken...View Post

this

Blown H/C 408 and other stuff. Billet tires. Plasti Dip tints. Stage 3 keyboard. /////.
2017 Chevy SS w/ dead hooker in spacious trunk
2014 Cruze Eco w/ my balls in spacious glove compartment
fquick
Old 04-27-2017, 03:27 PM   #6
ckeelan911

2004 GTO Owner

keep driving.... my car is still untuned and takes about 45 miles before the monitors are ready and the check engine light comes on

also make sure the tune was done properly

if you have a scan tool or a cheap bluetooth obd2 plug and the torque app for android can watch the monitors to see if they are ready before you go waste time at the shop.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:51 PM   #7
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347161

dug that up for you.

ski was having a similar issue. he tried following the driving cycle as closely as possible at it at least cleared the cat eff. stuff.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 207...View Post
Generally the drive cycle has specific tests that have to be performed for a specific time period and speeds.

Here's a GM one from OBDII/AutoTap that may work.
__________________________________________________ _

General Motors Driving Cycle

A complete driving cycle should perform diagnostics on all systems. A complete driving cycle can be done in under fifteen minutes.

To perform an OBDII Driving cycle do the following:

1. Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50C (122F) and within 6C (11F) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

2. Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.

3. Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.

4. Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

5. Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

6. Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.

7. Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.

8. Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.

Reprinted on OBDII web site courtesy of General Motors Corporation
General Motors Corporation

If you think this one is tough you should have seen the one I had to do on my F150 Ford... following the instructions for that, it took me two days to complete!! The truck had to sit for 8+ hours and then repeat the cycle!.. but, it worked.

Good luck.

( '_')o

(._. )

Quote:
The real enemy of truth is not ignorance, doubt, or even disbelief. It is false knowledge.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:00 PM   #8
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

the other thing is that, i think the ECM will periodically re-complete these tests. it isn't one and done until the ecm/codes are cleared again.

also, i know the car should do the "post o2" test at least once during a trip. I have it turned off on my 05 because it's annoying as smurf. (y'all with widebands know what i'm talking about). i don't think this is the only test to monitor cat efficiency, but it just goes to show the ECM is constantly checking stuff.

there's a "catalyst test" box in the engine diag exhaust tab as well. might be something to check...
Old 04-27-2017, 06:00 PM   #9
SkiPopeye36
FPFQ Herder

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothubertjfarnsworth...View Post

dug that up for you.

ski was having a similar issue. he tried following the driving cycle as closely as possible at it at least cleared the cat eff. stuff.

There was something goofy going on with that old 04 I had. We had to put the stock tune back in the car before those monitors would set. I then had the modified tune thrown back in after I passed inspection. Didn't have an issue after that as from that point on I was exempt from emissions testing due to getting a company car a month later.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:09 PM   #10
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiPopeye36...View Post
There was something goofy going on with that old 04 I had. We had to put the stock tune back in the car before those monitors would set. I then had the modified tune thrown back in after I passed inspection. Didn't have an issue after that as from that point on I was exempt from emissions testing due to getting a company car a month later.

do you think it was your tune?
Old 04-27-2017, 06:14 PM   #11
SkiPopeye36
FPFQ Herder

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Yes. It had to have been. No other excuse as the car was driven 10k miles from the time it was tuned till I had the car inspected.

The monitors magically all set 50 or so miles after we flashed the stock tune back into the car. There's no other explanation.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:20 AM   #12
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Hmm. I wonder what it was in the tune that did it.

Last edited by Nothubertjfarnsworth; 04-28-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:15 AM   #13
SkiPopeye36
FPFQ Herder

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

No clue at all and never bothered to worry about it ever again as that was the last time I ever had to worry about emissions testing.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:15 PM   #14
moremusclelessrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Chicken...View Post

Still have the stock tune for now. I have a pair of widebands to get a custom tune soon but not as of yet. Could that be the issue?
Old 04-28-2017, 12:16 PM   #15
moremusclelessrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothubertjfarnsworth...View Post

dug that up for you.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 207...View Post
Generally the drive cycle has specific tests that have to be performed for a specific time period and speeds.

Here's a GM one from OBDII/AutoTap that may work.
__________________________________________________ _

General Motors Driving Cycle

A complete driving cycle should perform diagnostics on all systems. A complete driving cycle can be done in under fifteen minutes.

To perform an OBDII Driving cycle do the following:

1. Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50C (122F) and within 6C (11F) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

2. Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.

3. Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.

4. Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

5. Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

6. Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.

7. Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.

8. Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.

Reprinted on OBDII web site courtesy of General Motors Corporation
General Motors Corporation

If you think this one is tough you should have seen the one I had to do on my F150 Ford... following the instructions for that, it took me two days to complete!! The truck had to sit for 8+ hours and then repeat the cycle!.. but, it worked.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I'll run through all that and see if that fixes things.

Last edited by moremusclelessrice; 04-28-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:21 PM   #16
ckeelan911

2004 GTO Owner

If you are running catless mids and kooks LT's with a stock tune you arent going to pass until you get a tune... bottom line

keep driving, your check engine light should come on.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:44 AM   #17
SkiPopeye36
FPFQ Herder

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Oh wait, you still have the OEM tune in the car with catless LT's? That's your issue.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:23 PM   #18
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

well this thread has certainly been interesting.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:27 AM   #19
Wolf2k6GTO

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to Wolf2k6GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiPopeye36...View Post
Yes. It had to have been. No other excuse as the car was driven 10k miles from the time it was tuned till I had the car inspected.

The monitors magically all set 50 or so miles after we flashed the stock tune back into the car. There's no other explanation.

In at least some GM PCMs there are two different ways to 'disable' the codes. If you turn them off/disable the code the test readiness/completeness monitors will never set since it will be has if the tests have never run. If you set the codes to 'no report' the tests will still run and it will set the readiness/completeness monitors but if the test fails it will not set a code, active/pending or otherwise. I suppose it's entirely possible which ever tuning suite was used doesn't make this distinction, but it's an important one.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:58 AM   #20
chevyz1

I thought that if any emissions equipment is missing, cats, it won't pass visual inspection and they won't go any further whether or not the tune could make it pass the sniffer test. That's how I believe it is where I live.

still GTO-less (for now)
Old 05-19-2017, 07:06 AM   #21
cookmeup272

Different states have different laws, but yes that is the way it is here in NY.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #22
SilverBullet19
05 Looks, 04 Slow

2004 GTO Owner

I'm gonna echo the "more driving" sentiment. 30 miles over several days implies multiple trips, which means that's a lot of short drives.

My monitors were ready after two 30 minute drives through a canyon (out to a friend's house and back). Lots of accelerating, slowing, differing speeds, etc.

Retired for DD duties 3/23/15 at 120,600

Full JBA exhaust with shorties and catted mids, Griffin radiator, Lovell's Shocks, King HHD springs (1 inch drop front, 1/2 inch rear), various whiteline poly bushings, DSS 1 piece, Hyperblack 19" VMR VB3's, 05 hood, 05 bumper, Mavman color matched spoiler
Old 05-19-2017, 01:22 PM   #23
SilverBullet19
05 Looks, 04 Slow

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyz1...View Post
I thought that if any emissions equipment is missing, cats, it won't pass visual inspection and they won't go any further whether or not the tune could make it pass the sniffer test. That's how I believe it is where I live.

Different states, different laws. In CA, you're correct. It also depends on the shop though. Some will overlook mods.

Here in CA, many would overlook longtubes or high flow cats, etc as long as it passed the sniffer. Now with the new smog laws (no car newer than 2000 is put on a sniffer) they're a little more strict, since its visual/computer check only and the sniffer is irrelevant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: