Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > Racing > Archived Racing Programs > RMR Drift GTO

Old 07-15-2015, 06:37 PM   #91
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to MattGTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad GTO...View Post
I love it!! Its nice to see these cars cut up and fabricated to your desire!!!!

i love getting responses like this because a car should only be built to your desire and when people appreciate it, thats some serious bonus points. Thank you so much man!
1979 Honda CB750F SuperSport - Cafe/Brat Project
1981 Honda CB650 Custom - Cafe/Brat Project
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2016, 01:04 PM   #92
NJ Torque
Not much I'm good at

2006 GTO Owner

Good luck with it!!
2008 Sierra Vortec Max, CCSB, 6.2 swapped, LSA supercharged
1998 Camaro Z28, 383 stroker, D1-SC, 4L80E, 9"

Old 03-18-2016, 12:43 PM   #93
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

I actually have a ton of updates for this including a fresh stock motor build (due to an unfortunate and really stupid mistake when installing my cam) and 243 heads with all comp everything, bosch 42# injectors, p & p throttle, L92 MAF w/ adapter and an MS4 cam. Found alot of broken stuff as i went through the car that was probably causing some issues i was constantly dealing with.

I broke a lot of stuff over the past year and even upgraded a bunch of stuff. I'll hopefully have some free time over spring break from school to update this bad boy.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:36 AM   #94
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

so last night i hit the dyno with rob @ Fonse Performance. Just to reiterate this is the setup:

freshly built LS1 new bearings, rings, honed etc.
Texas Speed MS4 Cam .649/.600 239/242 111.5 LSA 110 ICL
243 Heads (stock) with Comp springs, trunions, pushrods (7.400)
Stock LS6 intake
New OEM Throttle body ported and polished
LS2 MAF Sensor

From 4k RPMS to about 5100 RPMs the car leans out really bad but then goes right back into a healthy 12.3 AFR

After about 5 or 6 hits on the dyno the AFR's were way too bouncy to get a good tune on it. The Best hit of the night was 406WHP and 380WTQ that was a rich tune.

We switched to speed density and the car was so much happier running a really nice consistent curve from 12.3 AFR to 12.7AFR, havent gotten a real hit on the speed density tune as it got really late last night but today were going to add timing and see if the car wants to stretch it's legs.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:41 AM   #95
GTO44
2006GTO M6 dd-drag-roadcourse

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGTO...View Post
I actually have a ton of updates for this including a fresh stock motor build (due to an unfortunate and really stupid mistake when installing my cam) and 243 heads with all comp everything, bosch 42# injectors, p & p throttle, L92 MAF w/ adapter and an MS4 cam. Found alot of broken stuff as i went through the car that was probably causing some issues i was constantly dealing with.

I broke a lot of stuff over the past year and even upgraded a bunch of stuff. I'll hopefully have some free time over spring break from school to update this bad boy.

What was that mistake with the cam install? Planning on putting one in mine down the road and want to avoid anything like that!

Nice build by the way!

Vararam only, stock tune
Monster Level 2, Tick MC, RS T.Mount, Revshit insert, Hinson M.Mounts
Lovell 340/370mm springs, Koni Sports shocks/struts
Lovell Bushings: Strut Mounts & Bearings, ajust. Radius rod, rear subframe, Diff insert, rear endlinks
Hotchkis Adjust. Sways, Nobush Endlinks
DBA T3 Clubspec slotted, hawk HP+, Russle SS, Motul 600
Rebuilt T56, blocker ring kit, Tick billet 3/4 keys & springs
Dragbags, Catchcan, PTI 1-piece Alum. DS

365/368 (std)
12.81@110.6 2.03 60'
Old 04-13-2016, 12:52 PM   #96
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO44...View Post
What was that mistake with the cam install? Planning on putting one in mine down the road and want to avoid anything like that!

Nice build by the way!

oh boy, i guess ill just say it. it's quite embarassing to be honest. Basically before i replaced the cam i took all of the lifters out, or so i thought. I only removed 15 of the 16 lifters so when i removed the cam, the 16th one fell down onto the windage tray/baffle. I didnt hear it drop down there and when i started the car it sounded great however when i drove it around the block the lifter must have shifted sides of the pan which caused it to get sucked up by the crankshaft which in turn shot it into the side of the block cracking the block and seizing the motor.

It's a mistake I couldnt believe a made however i got a 99 camaro block with unknown miles, measured all bores and clearances w/ micrometers/t gauges/ plastigauge etc. Used a flex hone on all cylinders to redo the cross hatching. The person who sold me the block said it came out of a corvette with 70k. casting number said it was a 99 Camaro. Now the motor sounds super healthy.

I just dropped off the car to Powerhaus Performance in Cherry Hill, NJ to get tuned tomorrow. The tuners name is Roshan and I've heard great things about him. Hopefully it will go well.

And thank you very much for liking my build. The car is very fun hopefully with the power increase it'll be more fun!
Old 04-13-2016, 01:17 PM   #97
GTO44

2006 GTO Owner

Thanks for explaining! Note to self, take all lifters out - check. lol We're all human and shit happens man! And at least you were doing the work yourself instead of having a shop do everything! I look forward to seeing the numbers after you get 'er tuned.

Keep on rockin!
Old 04-15-2016, 01:15 PM   #98
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

so i took my car to Roshan @ Powerhaus Performance and he did a really solid tune on the car. If you live in my area then i definitely recommend him he really took great care of me and had answers for every single question i asked He is very experienced with LS engines as well as many exotic and European applications.

The stock LS1 with 243 heads and MS4 camshaft put down 394hp/367tq (corrected numbers) on their AWD Mustang Dyno.Car feels really great and im shocked at how well it drives given the relative aggressiveness for a stock LS1. I cant wait to actually put this thing on the track. The new rev limiter is also set to 6800 RPM, it's really fun to listen to the LS really scream.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:43 PM   #99
Hook937

Just seen the for the first time (new to gto forums).
Dang! This car is sick, everything looks top notch
Great build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd74cArrP7M
^Watch me make short work of import bike's on a Buell^

Hooker's, Hotrod's, and Harley's
Old 04-15-2016, 01:48 PM   #100
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook937...View Post
Just seen the for the first time (new to gto forums).
Dang! This car is sick, everything looks top notch
Great build

thank you so much hook i really appreciate that! alot of blood sweat and beers went into it!
Old 05-19-2016, 09:24 AM   #101
LsDOS
What do I know?

2006 GTO Owner

Dude all I can say is awesome work all around!! I would love to have a car where I can just build everything how I want it.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #102
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LsDOS...View Post
Dude all I can say is awesome work all around!! I would love to have a car where I can just build everything how I want it.

A. If your username is LsDOS in lieu of MSDOS... you are the man. If not, i'm sure you're still the man

B. Thank you so much. I actually finally signed up to put this car back on the track for the first time in a long time next sunday so hopefully i'll have some pictures of it being put to good use.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:13 PM   #103
LsDOS
What do I know?

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
A. If your username is LsDOS in lieu of MSDOS... you are the man. If not, i'm sure you're still the man

B. Thank you so much. I actually finally signed up to put this car back on the track for the first time in a long time next sunday so hopefully i'll have some pictures of it being put to good use.

A. I did that since dos means two so LS TWO for the engine, if not that who is MSDOS besides the operating system from Microsoft?

B. Glad that bad boy is going to the track, best of luck and make us Gto owners proud!! I should race my gto for the first time next weekend hopefully.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:22 PM   #104
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LsDOS...View Post
A. I did that since dos means two so LS TWO for the engine, if not that who is MSDOS besides the operating system from Microsoft?

B. Glad that bad boy is going to the track, best of luck and make us Gto owners proud!! I should race my gto for the first time next weekend hopefully.

Haha yeah dude i was talking about the old OS from microsoft but i think your version is less cheesy and more understandable than mine lmao! I probably should have put that together but my nerd brain kicked in. Oh and you too man good luck with racing it! I still have yet to upload my engine build pics but that'll come in due time.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:27 PM   #105
LsDOS
What do I know?

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Haha yeah dude i was talking about the old OS from microsoft but i think your version is less cheesy and more understandable than mine lmao! I probably should have put that together but my nerd brain kicked in. Oh and you too man good luck with racing it! I still have yet to upload my engine build pics but that'll come in due time.

I figured it was the OP or you got the Dos=two but I was like maybe is something completely different lol. I will be waiting on the engine build pictures.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:43 PM   #106
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

So this is my update that i havent done in a long time and the pictures that i'm finding are mostly of my engine build and the parts i used.

A little after i last updated this thread which was last summer i was out driving with some friends and whilst showing off two of my friends went into a tandem drift (in an area that vacant in the boonies of south jersey) so i decided to join them. I accidentally hit a curb and really damaged the rear passenger control arm and one of my wheels. I soon after replaced the control arm and wheel (which is a huge pain in the ass but hey if you cant do the time dont do the crime) and all was fine.

I ended up deciding to do a minor engine build in which i utilized the built 243 heads i presented pictures of erlier in this thread. I purchased a TSP MS4 Cam which specs are .649/.600 239/242 @ 111.5 LSA. A few extra supporting mods i did were an LS2 MAF and a ported and polished stock throttle. here are some pictures from the build. There was some real heartbreak after this build but i prevailed and will explain that as well.

This was all after dissasembly, im sure i have more pictures of this after cleaned up however in the next post ill explain why it doesnt even matter =[.

Last edited by MattGTO; 06-23-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:51 PM   #107
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

These are just some pictures of the parts i used

Old 06-23-2016, 05:12 PM   #108
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

So after i put that engine together i ran it, and it ran awesome. The down fall was that i went to drive it around my block and about 1/2mi later the engine SEIZED. i was a little upset and i figured i just wouldnt touch it for a while. It burned a hole in my brain for a few days and i kept asking myself what the hell did i do wrong?! by the end of the week the motor was out of the car.

Here's what happened, When i removed the lifters to install the cam, i only removed 15 out of 16 lifters. Yeah i know rookie mistake but i counted the lifters after i removed them and i swore i counted 16 but hey were only human and rookie mistakes were made. The 16th lifter dropped to the baffle under the crankshaft which i obviously didnt know. I put my cam and LS7 lifters in and went on my way happily. When i finally went to test drive the car and i came to a turn, the lifter must have rolled to the other side of the baffle and got picked up by the crank. it then proceeded to bounce off all moving parts on the back half of the engine until the engine eventually seized. Thing had so much velocity it even cracked the block.

at this point i wasnt upset i just decided to take it apart and salvage what could be salvaged. Essentially i was able to save everything but the block, pistons, rods, and crank. Heads and cam were good, the LS7 lifters were good, my Comp push rods were ok as well. after a few days of searching for an LQ9 and failing on that search i found someone selling an LS1 bottom end out of a corvette that he thought could possibly even be an LS6 for 300 dollars. I checked it out and seemed like a decent block bought it.

After obtaining said engine i decided to do my research and found that the block was out of a 99 Camaro and the mileage was unknown. I measured all clearances and bores with t-gauges and micrometers. Straight edged the decks and ultimately decide that no maching was needed so i decided that i would hone all of the cylinders, install new clevite bearings on all mains and new mahle rings on the pistons. but not before actually putting everything through a parts washer and chem-dipping the pistons.

This is the new block

This is actually after i cleaned up my valve covers just to show how dirty this things get if you or the previous owner dont regularly clean.

this is the silcone carbide hone i used for the cylinder bores

fresh cross hatching

new crankshaft cleaned up the best i can

blocked cleaned up a little bit

mains with the main bore measurements written on the caps
Old 06-23-2016, 05:24 PM   #109
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

I did run into a problem with the valley cover as the 2004 GTO has an LS6 block. The drawback is that the LS6 valley cover has a PCV passage that a regular LS1 does not.

The problem is that the baffle that is on the valley cover hits this extra little piece of block thats in the valley of the LS1 block

That oval shaped opening that leads to nowhere is non-existent on an LS6. I ended up just taking the baffle off of the LS6 valley cover and blocking off the PCV tube that connests to the throttle body. I know this is sacrilegious to remove a PCV passage but i had no choice.

After i solved that debacle i put all the rest of my remaining top end parts on along with a fresh round of gaskets and seals for EVERYTHING and completed the long block.

I also took advantage of puting on a new timing chain and cam sprocket as well as a fresh melling oil pump.

It also had most of the small but critical sensors replaced like knock sensors and harness, cam sensor, oil pressure sensor, water temp, etc.

i finally was ready to drop it back in the car.

To make the rest of this long story short i gave old girl her new heart and the car took very well to it.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:30 PM   #110
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

there is also a few other things i did that i cant remember but after i received my Bosch 42# injectors i proceeded to make my way to the dyno @ Powerhaus Performance in Cherry Hill, NJ. I was pretty pleased with the tune they did. It made 396whp and 370tq on their mustang dyno which is locally known as "the heartbreaker". Not too shabby for a cam only LS1 car with stock LS2 heads.

I was very happy with the end result of the engine build. In my next series of posts ill be reporting on how the car has been doing on the track. but for now i'm going to give this a rest and get back to homework.

I'd like to thank anyone who takes the time to read my build thread and i hope it is useful towards your own potential, current, or future builds.

Last edited by MattGTO; 06-23-2016 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:45 AM   #111
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

here's an action shot of the car from two weeks ago
Old 06-24-2016, 10:39 AM   #112
GTO44

2006 GTO Owner

Great job on the rebuild, glad to see it's back in action! Keep doin our thing man
Old 06-24-2016, 10:50 AM   #113
LS2-GTO
1 of 40,757

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Well done!

Keep updating as you go.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:57 AM   #114
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO44...View Post
Great job on the rebuild, glad to see it's back in action! Keep doin our thing man

Thanks man!! everytime something goes wrong it kills me until its fixed so ill just keep pushing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2-GTO...View Post
Well done!

Keep updating as you go.

thank you and i certainly will try!!
Old 07-12-2016, 12:35 PM   #115
LsDOS
What do I know?

2006 GTO Owner

Sad to see that it blew up but we make mistakes at times, glad to see she is back and running better, nice numbers and drift!! keep her rolling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: