LS1GTO Forums banner

Fixing Clutch and Slave Problems for Spring

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Black Night 
#1 ·
Since my August purchase of my 2006 GTO, I have raced it every weekend to learn the car and decided where I am going to take this DD project. In the course of that, I have had constant slave issues with the car.

8 out of 10 times, I couldn’t’ get the car back in to gear after a full run whether it was a 40 roll or dig. The problem increased as I moved the power up from 375 rwhp (bolt-on) to the 450rwhp (cam, fast, bolt). When the Fast 102 was added to the car and I pick up 15hp, I started to have clutch slippage at 115-120mph in 4th gear.

Therefore, I am replacing the clutch and slave. Since I have been modding the car as cheaply as possible, I bought a Spec “Super Twin” Clutch.

They are supposed to be rated for 700-1500 ft-lb tq. I wanted it most because it is rebuild-able. They cost anywhere from $1500-1700. However, I got mine for $500 used, about a 1000 miles on it from a person I know with a Z06 Vette. The clutch came with the Spec Aluminum Flywheel and carbon semi-metallic full faced material on the disc.

I will let you all know how it goes after I buy the GM slave and get it all installed. I think it will work with my slow car.

I also got a Tick Performance Remote Speed-bleeder coming.

Is there anything i'm missing?

Yes, I know “rebuild-able” is not a word spelling Nazis.

New Clutch1 by acts187kjv, on Flickr

See less See more
#6 ·
Yeah, I'm going to buy both of those too. Good looking out.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#7 ·
#4 ·
I will let you all know how it goes after I buy the GM slave and get it all installed. I think it will work with my slow car.
Is there anything i'm missing?
Looks good, Jeremy was the tech support guy at Spec. If he is still there, you will get to know him. He is a great guy to work with. I had him on the speed dial when I ran Spec clutches.

#5 ·
Tick master and MGW-P shifter. Best upgrades by far. If you want to save some money get an f-body slave from Advance or Auto Zone and switch the fitting.

#9 ·
Yeah, we where talking about that. The spacer is in the box, so we will see.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#13 ·
450rwhp DD that is raced every weekend? Your car's pulling multiple duties! Sounds hard on the car (thus the new clutch/slave required), but I bet it's fun!

It looks like other folks have you covered already on your complete list of parts. Good luck, and have fun!

#14 ·
Since you're pulling the trans, you may as well upgrade the trans mount if it is still the stock original. Def a noticeable difference when I did mine!

#15 ·
I forgot to update you all, I got the clutch in and it's really grippy. I'm still trying to get use to it.

Defiantly need tires because of this clutch and power level. Due to the temperature being at 37 degrees, I spun 2, 3, and wheel hopped going in to 4th.

The clutch is instant when it grips. There is no noticeable chatter noise from the clutch either.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.