LS1GTO Forums banner

05 E Force Supercharger build

20K views 91 replies 30 participants last post by  MP_gto 
#1 ·
So a few years ago I bought a yellow 05 gto and thought it was plenty fast.
Well.. Then long tubes and a SLP tune happened, then SLP exhaust, then aluminum 1 piece drive shaft, then 930 CV's on the back then.. It was quiet.

Then I started looking at superchargers. Well everyone has a maggie so what else?

A friend of mine just picked up a roush 2014 with tvs2300 and its a monster..

foud it!

Edelbrock E force series 15470 ls2 243 kit.
Then I start to think what cam?

found it!
Texas speed 224R (so I could keep the stock stall on my daily driver)

The install was pretty straight forward other than us throwing in the whole cam swap business. The universal kit comes with all of the goodies you would want EXCEPT the heat exchanger, fuel pump, silicone intake parts, not near enough hoses and lines, and a way to get the AN fittings fuel.

I ordered with new springs, push rods, lifters, GM bolts, and all new gaskets for everything that would be coming off the engine. Texas speed was great to deal with.

Here are some pics of what we did. Took a few of us about 2 weeks working on it off and on after work and weekend days start to finish.

Here are some pics

Here we go! Hood off

See less See more
#4 ·

little carb cleaner and some elbow grease and

lifters out

edelbrock kit comes with a new valley cover so the old ones comes off

you do have to pin the crank. and that bolt is freggin TIGHT!
Also you need that tool to hold the flywheel. There is no other GOOD option (we made one in the machine shop but if you cant - BUY IT)
The kit even supplies the drill bit, guide, and reamer

this is the thing we made

drilling the hole for the pin

New valley cover on

#5 ·
Cleaned up the heads a little

Not a lot of pics of the cam install. I had assembly lube all over my gloves

new springs installed and heads on

(yes we used a mill to press down the springs)

#6 · (Edited)
Then we put it all back together to make sure there were no issues with the cam or any of that so far.
It ran on the stock slp 455 tune but it was not real happy about it

Moved power steering tank over here – had to make a bracket

The worst part about this was the fuel pump. Its no fun to get to this at all and we cursed and drank LOTS of beer

Again here – covered in gasoline so not a lot of pics of the actual pump install

Picked up a Maggie HX here on the forums.
The belt we ended up with was 101 inches long
The throttle body has to be mounted upside down to clear the hood (just trust me on this one)!

#7 ·
Mounted the heat exchanger coolant tank here using the supplied edelbrock bracket and another piece we had laying around. It is WELDED to the strut tower brace

Routed the lines like this (the front pre molded tube is reversed because there was just no good reason to route it the other way)

Mounted the hx pump where the pas side horn was at

I thought to myself there is no way this big air filter that came with the kit would fit, but a trip to silicone intakes and picked up a 45 and a 60 4” bend.. the 60 was the winner..

#8 ·
Ok this is a pain.. the kit rails are AN fittings and you have to get it to 3/8 FI fittings.
I ended up with AN to 3/8 hi pressure hose fitting then re-using the stock fitting to connect to the fuel line from the tank (a loop). Ill probably re-do this sometime but it works

Hood back on. The only clearance issue was actually the HX tank. It BARELY hits the hood and not enough to throw anything off.

Tune time!
Mustang dyno, efi live

There are some dyno videos on someones phone I ll post them when someone uploads em.

#10 ·
I'll bet (on the traction thing), Looks good. How much boost?

#12 · (Edited)
less than 8. I think it was about 6 but i was more concerned about moving air through vs compressing it.

Another note.. If you go ANY smaller on the pulley you would have to change to the ls3 water pump. there is almost no clearance on the ls2 pump for the belt. Its VERY close. I almost went with the ls3 pump but that was $200 I was not ready to spend (and I hate waiting for parts that hold up a build)

#16 ·
Not sure if I will ever do the smaller pulley (i have said similar things before and always want to push it more and more).
Ill probably wait a good while and make sure the thing stays together running like this.

very nice project...looks like it came together very well...

one thing, your HE hose routing...if your belt lets go will the belt tensioner clear?...i found a way on my MP112 setup to mount the reservoir so it clears the battery and the tensioner in the free state with all the hose routing...
If the belt lets loose there is going to be hell to pay on the water pump inlet. Everything else should clear.
Edelbrock really did a fantastic job with this thing. The only one hickup I ran into was the MAF sensor plug. The vehicle side was correct, but the MAF side was the wrong plug (may have been ls7).
It was an easy fix tho.

Awesome write up! Yeah, that's a little wonky the way the fuel rails are set up. Aeromotive makes 3/8" line to -AN adapter fittings. That's what I used for the Maggie and then some braided -AN line to the rail, but it doesn't look like there's much room or clearance back there for that since the Eforce rail port is so close to the line.

BTW that heat exchanger sure looks familiar:D
and thanks again!
You kept the project rolling when I hit a snag!

#15 · (Edited)
very nice project...looks like it came together very well...

one thing, your HE hose routing...if your belt lets go will the belt tensioner clear?...i found a way on my MP112 setup to mount the reservoir so it clears the battery and the tensioner in the free state with all the hose routing...

Attachments

This post has been deleted
#19 ·
Thats in the works.

Build an enclosure for that intake or route it down so it sucks in cooler air, put the plastic shroud back on, use a proper fuel hose clamp for that fuel line.

Looks good, though.
I see no good options for routing that intake to get colder air without cutting holes or sucking in rain water and road dust. If you know of options that don't involve me cutting holes in my car I would like to know more!

Already ordered a new fuel line. This was just to make it go!

#18 ·
Build an enclosure for that intake or route it down so it sucks in cooler air, put the plastic shroud back on, use a proper fuel hose clamp for that fuel line.

Looks good, though.

#26 ·
Thx. Yeah. Is part of the reason I wanted it ;)
I like to be a little different.

I could only find one other that had one and there was next to no info about it.

#27 ·
You write up was very nice.

The Edelbrock harness is setup for the slot style LS3 MAF, which is why yours did not fit the OEM maf.

I am going to try a similar CAI setup, I currently have an old JLT mustang cold air kit cutup but I am not happy with it. I have purchased a Cold Air Induction airbox, but I was not happy with how it worked as well.

I have the 45 and 60 from CAI, but I was not using the OEM MAF, (Did you get it, or do you still have range left? ) So my testing was shorter. I do have a hump hose and extension, so let me test that out.

Do you have the PCV line from the air intake track to the valve cover installed?

Ryan

Attachments

#29 ·
my MAF maxed out on flow at about 5k rpm. Its tuned off map after that.
I didn't know that was going to be a problem or I would have done something different but the tune is good. I like the way it runs.

Yes pcv venting is into the bottom of the silicone tube behind the maf.
Ill be checking it this weekend (after a few days of driving) and work on installing a catch can.

what did you do about clearance on the water pump?
my best is starting rub just a little (im not really worried about it but it did leave some slight marks on the hose during some aggressive driving.. Im going to clamp it with a wire hose clamp just at the rib to make it not rub.

#30 ·
I have an 06 a4 and probably gonna do the eforce hopefully by spring....can u elaborate a little more on your traction issues? anything a good set of drag radials could fix, with stock 18 rims of course? i dont wanna be blowing my tires off at 100+!!! well maybe i want that a little..lol

#31 ·
Im running Michelin pilot super sports and if you hammer down on it below 70mph it will most likely be exciting. Depends on the road and how warm the tires are. It's winter.. I'm sure summer time heat will make tires stick better.

And someone call CSI. First gear will murder a set of tires. Its almost useless now.

I didn't look real hard for an 18" DR. It just sounds expensive. I'll be hunting some cheap rims and DR for track season.

That being said if you don't drive like an idiot its manageable.

I would highly recommend the eforce blower!

#32 ·
You should also check out the new Magnuson Heartbeat series of TVS superchargers. Agreed, first gear is challenging for traction, Drag bags, springs and a Diff bushing and DSS help, Nitto NT05 tires increased my traction as well. Once FI, you will never look back.

#33 ·
Very nice write up!
I miss my old maggie setup.
I think roots type is more fun to drive just because it`s more responsive..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.