LS1GTO Forums banner

New Smog Laws to take effect.

7K views 86 replies 32 participants last post by  mikew 
#1 ·
Being a smog technician for 6 years I get newsletters from the BAR every couple weeks or months. Here is the new smog bill that will take effect.

Legislative Update: Several bills that effect consumers and licensees of the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) were signed into law. Some of these major pieces of legislation include:

AB 2289-Smog Check Improvements
Assembly Bill 2289 (Eng, Chapter 258) is designed to improve the effectiveness of the Smog Check Program and California's air quality.

One component of the law allows BAR to develop alternative Smog Check inspection procedures for model year 2000 and newer vehicles equipped with second generation On-Board Diagnostic (OBD II) systems. This will eliminate the tailpipe test and potentially reduce inspection times and costs.

Info on this bill can be found on www.smogcheck.ca.gov.

#36 ·
i know this is a super old thread but, whats to prevent someone from flashing there car back to stock just in case the smog computers can detect tunes, and driving it down there and smogging.

as long as you keep your foot out of it, IE limp the car down there, basically any set up can run the stock tune and as long as you have high flow cats you won't throw a code so you should pass the smog test.

then reflash your dyno tune when your done and your back to the fun?

sounds like the new smog laws in 2013 will be easier as long as you flash the stock rom on it before you tune. and for those with very aggressive set ups you should still be safe as long as you keep your foot out of it till your smog is over right?

dyno tunners wanna chime in and say what you think since your the computer experts?

#37 ·
1st they can't detect tunes. Many CARB approved devices come WITH a tune.

2nd if you flash you reset all the system checks. You will fail the ODB2 test.

3rd not any cars can run on the factory tune. Many use larger injectors and it wouldn't idle right. Also a large cam can surge like no tomorrow without a tune.

#39 · (Edited)
Sorry to resurrect

Dan,

#1 I was reading that the new system will check the "database" for your VIN to see if any parameters have been changed on your ECU and for CARB tuning like the CARB legal tunes that come with the MP112. I've seen this on a couple other websites and on the CARB manual for performing the tests. Just wondering. It also states that any parameters such as rear gear ratios, transmission changes or anything that has been changed on the computer will be detected and marked as a fail. If I'm missing something please let me know.

#2 Yeah relating to #1

#3 Totally understand this.

If this is a repost I apologize and will take down my post.

#46 ·
Dan,

#1 I was reading that the new system will check the "database" for your VIN to see if any parameters have been changed on your ECU and for CARB tuning like the CARB legal tunes that come with the MP112. I've seen this on a couple other websites and on the CARB manual for performing the tests. Just wondering. It also states that any parameters such as rear gear ratios, transmission changes or anything that has been changed on the computer will be detected and marked as a fail. If I'm missing something please let me know.
This is horseshit. Sometimes the same exact car can have different tunes from the factory. Half the time the fucking dealers dont know what is supposed to be in there.

#38 · (Edited)
Yeah I was hoping they can't detect tunes. I'm deciding whether or not to go with a cam as I'm full bolt ons now. So before I get a cam I wanted to be sure before I get a set up that wouldn't run on a stock tune if I had to.

Thanks

Guess its time to save up for an nssp cam lol

#44 ·
Hopefully more information will come out as guys get Star tested.

#47 ·
Yeah I think we are giving the OBDII test and "database" a little more credit than it deserves. I find it hard to believe that they would be building in EVERY SINGLE ECU setting for every single car made after 2000. Previous smog checks where not even able to detect timing settings as you could advance or retard timing as needed to control NOX. I used to smog my 99 corvette with the laptop in the passenger seat, aside from having to take a drive thru town to reset the monitors after a flash it was cake and the smog guy never knew the difference.

Now the new OBDIII stuff might be capable as it would have been designed from the get go to do it. I'd think it may store the factory calibration within the ECU forever, then the smog machine is merely comparing the current tune with the one stored in the ECU. Thus eliminating the need for the "database" of all cars since 2000, each car carries it's own factory tune on board.

#48 ·
Who knows what the hell is going to happen, we will just have to find out when we get smogged.

#49 ·
Can the smog technicians chime in if new machines are part of this new law?

#51 ·
Read this on another forum from a cat that had to have his 2005 car smogged today...

Just came back from smog test, literally.
Talked to the tech, he said the non-sniffer test won't start until next year.
However, they've renew their smog test system (Star system) staring this month.
Making sure the techs are doing what they are supposed to do instead of cutting corner.
And required to get the new machines for the non-sniffer test (OBD2 only) later this year.

#52 ·
I think I just started to like California a little more.

#57 ·
well i just bought my goat 3 months ago so im god for a year and a half so hopefully someone can figure it out before then...fingers crossed.

#59 ·
There is a CVN (calibration verification number) and a relationship between the pcm id (software part numbers) and the mathcing CVN. This could be checked, and would make your "tuned" pcm fail.

I hope it does not come to that, but that technology has been around as long as the OBD2 pcm has been for GM.

Ryan

#60 ·
I believe all they will do is check and see that the CEL is not on then that will be it.

#61 ·
I agree...the releases I read said it's the same test they do in 20+ other states and I don't recall reading of an OBDII only test in other states beyond checking the CELs. They may verify nothing emissions related is turned off but I can't really see a car failing on a tune alone. A tune doesn't disable emissions and doesn't necessarily cause more emissions.

I guess we'll see what the real story is once cars start going through the new test.

#63 ·
Well, it passed. They did a visual, plugged the computer into the obdII, and did dyno test as in the past. Not sure what changed...

#64 · (Edited)
Post up the results you got from the Machine, was this is Test only Station or just a regular non Test station?

Here is the results for mine before I cammed it.

Here is after I installed the cam.

#68 ·
Well congrats on passing looks good.:thumbs:

#77 ·
Well I hope you get what you want for it.:)

#79 ·
Damn!! I want the rear tail lights!!! :lol:

#80 ·
So, bringing this back, has anyone gone through the new smog testing yet or is the state behind in getting the program rolling? Thanks in advance.

#81 ·
This as I may end up in Cali soon :-(.

#82 ·
Seems they are still using the old tests. The focus is the STAR program and kicking out the low performing shops.

The guys I talk to don't know when the change is going to happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.