LS1GTO Forums banner

trans debate...

1K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  wrp 
#1 ·
ok im putting a new transmission into my 05 its more of a street strip car than a daily driver (so the thought of a th-400r has come in to play) lets hear what every on has to say about what i should put in it and why (include which company build it aswell cause some of the after market bulders do, do diff things) my car has 3.91s, cam, fast 92, headers. will be built in to a 402 sc as soon as i get the money so put that in to your considerations

#4 ·
Performabuilt makes a quality 4l60. I have the level 2 with a 3600 stall. They also make a level 3. 2 year warranty if you get the stall with the tranny. Keeps OD as well, which is great for the street. I say call them. Tell them you HP goals. They will have something for you.

#5 · (Edited)
Do the trans at the same time with the motor, everything will be new. The TH 400 is a very good unit but it is not just a bolt in item and it will alter your gearing. If it was me, I would stay with an A/4 and just get a built unit . I have a Lever VII from RPM Transmissions . Could not ask for anything better

You will also need a good TQ convertor.I like the ones from Vigilanti .

www.rpmtransmissions.com

#8 ·
it's easy to cut off the stock bell housing and the conversion bellhousing will just bolt right on with arp or whatever bolts. 30-45 min-ish

^ yep gears change, i don't have any info on other trans being talked about

#6 ·
Call Greg at FTi. Tell him the details, cam grind, heads, gears. I have their stage 5 TH400. It changed the whole nature of the car. I went with a stall too large but now am having it built for 3500. Work on the suspension was the most important part because you need bigger tires.

#7 ·
turbo 400's are cheap to build and can take a huge ammount of power. I have a friend who has a twin turbo mustang around 1250hp 4.6 that car has a th400 in it with a bolt on conv. bellhousing. It goes good for a ford muffstain but he always raves about how he saved money on the trans. (i installed the trans, cut to fit bellhousing, engine, and turbo kit)

but it would suck on the street or interstate depending on gear(s)

#17 ·
a GM transmission connected to a Ford motor. I always said it takes GM PRODUCTs to make a FORD run good

#9 · (Edited)
Mine was a direct bolt in (TH400). There was no need to alter the bell housing. We bought a carbon fiber shield which fit fine. GForce1320 sells everything else you need from the plate to cover the hitter hole to the transmission mount. Initially I was too aggressive on the stall which led to some drivability and economy problems.

The FTi Stage 5 TH400 with the Carbon Fiber Shield bolted right up.

We used a GForce1320 plate to cover the m6 transmission hole

This is the rest of the GForce1320 package

The shifter was a B&M Quicksilver

The stall was a 4400 rpm, we are peeling it back to 3500. Initially we did not let FTi know which driveshaft we had so that made a difference and there were a couple of emergency shipments.

Bolting her in was pretty straightforward

We had to run the cooling lines and cooler

We rushed FTi so they had not replaced the gear driven speedometer gear. It was fairly simple to cut the old one out and install the new gear they supply along with an electronic speedometer adapter.

Bolted her up to the lines then installed her

#13 ·
ok some good input so far. i woudl wait to put a new trans at the same time as the engine but i have a built 4l65e in it rite now but i keep frying stall converters one when it was completly stock and 2 with this trans i has the trans looked over after the first one went they said the pump went out and they replaced it it coast me 200 to have it shipped and then another 500 for another stall. now this one is going out on me. i want a fix all i want to put something in that will be good for this engine and the next

#14 · (Edited)
awesome wrp

you may not need to mod the bellhousing i did that for a 4.6 mustang mod motor have not tryed it in a gto.

th400 brings up a driveshaft issue i'm guessin?

#15 ·
You definitely need to have one cut for it. Pick up the phone and call Chris and he will tell you how to measure it. Depending on your luck he can have it there in a short time. He gets strapped just prior to start of the season and during sales.

#16 ·
Im running an RPM 6 speed but all of the Heintz Racing cars running RPM 4L60 automatics have held up quite nicely at power levels of 900+ hp

#19 ·
+1 RPM built me the most awesome T56 in existence.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.