LS1GTO Forums banner

SNAFU - A cry for help

13K views 206 replies 36 participants last post by  Slightly.Above.Average 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright Situation is SNAFU.

Had to order a new torque converter because the one I had failed. Sucks, but then I just got word that the transmission is smurfed as well! :banghead::censored::censored::banghead:

Turns out my wonderfully expensive performabuilt stage 2 transmission was using a weak non-billet torque converter which needed an adapter plate to fit on :facepalm:. It failed and sent shrapnel throughout the rest of the transmission successfully killing it. Upon further inspection, supposedly very few parts were replaced with "stronger" parts that were expected to be in it :mad:.
I am out of funds on buying another "built" transmission just to have it fail and have terrible warranties which don't do a damn thing. The first time I purchased this transmission it failed in under 3 months and I got hit with a heavy labor charge of replacing it. Now it fails AGAIN when it hasn't seen that much racing and I'm still UNDER 400 rwhp! I was livid today when I found out it doesn't even have all the components I thought I paid for!!!!!

If anyone has a preferably 4L65e for cheap, please contact me. I'm out of ideas here. . .

Figure I'ld create a new thread since I'm no longer asking for assistance but begging for help :thumbs:, I'm now aware of what I need, I'm hoping someone has a transmission for cheap I could purchase from them. I've been without my GTO for nearly a month and not only am I going through displacement withdrawl but it is my only method of transportation.

See less See more
#76 · (Edited)
Managed to get out of work early before Import Intelligence closed up for the holiday again and picked up the GTO. Forgot how much fun it is to cruise around in cam'd V8 and having people tell you it sounds great. Miss having a shift kit in the transmission but I think i'll manage :pimp:. Getting use to the 3800 stall, feels :quoties:"different":quoties: than the previous stall I had in the car, haven't had a chance to really test her out, not that I should (still need to do the 50 mile break in process). Looking forward to heading back to CSP to get my c6 OTRCAI installed along with 60lb injectors and get her tuned up. Expect to see me at Atco soon as it opens back up!!

(Yeah, I'll never learn.)

I appreciate all who have helped and those who have offered assistance. Being without the GTO for 2 months really makes me appreciate it that much more. Expect to be seeing me around again!!

#78 ·
Good to hear it's back on the road, Nick. Now just start saving up again for the next big thing that breaks!

#89 ·
glad to see u got it it up and running

#91 ·
:pimp:

Just got back from Andrew's and I am loving how the goat is driving! Now there are a couple extra variables so a straight comparison can't be made from my old setup to my current setup with my intake, but I am (to the best of my knowledge) the only 04 gto cruising around with a c6 intake and maf.

If I ever build the intake again, there are a few design tweaks I intend to make to improve it's appearance but right now, function > form.

As for results. . .

FINALLY HIT 400 RWHP !!!!

unlocked stall
correction factor

Several passes at 398 to 399 rwhp so it wasn't a fluke pull.

So when does Atco open? :turbonaug

#92 ·
So you finally hit 400, congrats! Want a rematch? I'll have my new GoPro handy! :turbonaug

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#96 ·
Hahah, actually the back of the shop, where his car was, was quite warmer than the weather station area. So we left the garage door open and got some food, letting the entire shop chill. About an hour later we came back and let the car warm up. After about 5 passes of 398 and 399... we finally hit the magic number.

The 400 rwhp SAE pass was actually something like 418 rwhp uncorrected. And in addition, it was at a brisk 203 degrees coolant temp - so fully warmed up.

The car legit makes power.

#104 ·
I'm cam only too... can I play?

#102 ·
Congrats man! With your cam, some decent heads would really bring her to life! That's great that you hit 400!

#105 ·
Dear Nick,

I am happy your car is back in your possession and running. In fact it's fabulous. However I must wipe that smile off your face by racing you.

Sincerely,
A Douche

#109 ·
Update

So, the GTO lasted 3 weeks before it died...

After the install, the car felt good, I constantly checked for leaks, and was paranoid about every little thing the car did. I got the car dyno'd and tuned by Andrew. Made good power, didn't show any signs of issues, had the oil changed just to be safe. I drove it hard for the first time with a couple friends on saturday. Saturday night at 12 driving back over the bridge while cruising at 45 mph I realized something "felt wrong".

I accelerated to 50mph after just getting passed the bridge and realized the stall wouldn't lock and the car felt like it was in 3rd and not 4th. I gave it some throttle and the engine free rev'd on me. The car only accelerated when the rpms were at 2k and soon as you pushed it to 2500rpms the car would lose all acceleration and the engine would rev. :bomb:

Pulled over, got it towed home. Ty AAA.

Next morning I start her up, seems ok. ??? I drive around for 1 minute... no issues ??? I drive for 2-5 minutes then it began to happen again where it lost more and more drive till it didn't go anywhere. (So it gets worse when the car is warmed up?)

I had the GTO towed back to the shop that installed transmission and converter, and I'm waiting to hear what broke and more importantly WHY. The converter was new, the transmission only had 18k miles on it AND was checked out by a transmission shop before being installed... My assumption is that it was installed incorrectly... I'm pretty much done at this point.

#111 ·
So, the GTO lasted 3 weeks before it died...

After the install, the car felt good, I constantly checked for leaks, and was paranoid about every little thing the car did. I got the car dyno'd and tuned by Andrew. Made good power, didn't show any signs of issues, had the oil changed just to be safe. I drove it hard for the first time with a couple friends on saturday. Saturday night at 12 driving back over the bridge while cruising at 45 mph I realized something "felt wrong".

I accelerated to 50mph after just getting passed the bridge and realized the stall wouldn't lock and the car felt like it was in 3rd and not 4th. I gave it some throttle and the engine free rev'd on me. The car only accelerated when the rpms were at 2k and soon as you pushed it to 2500rpms the car would lose all acceleration and the engine would rev. :bomb:

Pulled over, got it towed home. Ty AAA.

Next morning I start her up, seems ok. ??? I drive around for 1 minute... no issues ??? I drive for 2-5 minutes then it began to happen again where it lost more and more drive till it didn't go anywhere. (So it gets worse when the car is warmed up?)

I had the GTO towed back to the shop that installed transmission and converter, and I'm waiting to hear what broke and more importantly WHY. The converter was new, the transmission only had 18k miles on it AND was checked out by a transmission shop before being installed... My assumption is that it was installed incorrectly... I'm pretty much done at this point.
Nick, If I can do anything to help please let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.