Ls9 cam in ls1 - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > LS1/LS2 Engine Tech

Old 01-09-2017, 12:45 PM   #1
PvtBubbaGoat

Ls9 cam in ls1

I recently purchased this gto 2004 m6 67k miles and I am going with a tvs 1900/2300 blower when I get my signing bonus in a few months and I was wondering

1. If this cam is a good choice for the combo?
2. Will this cam work well with the naturally aspirated set up I will be running before the blower? (cai, jba shorty headers and jba catted midpipes)
3. How much will my set up be limited by jba 1 5/8 shorty headers and a 2.5" catback? (I intend to move back to the communist republic of Southern California)
4. If unported 243 or 799 heads are worth the price to horsepower ratio?

I would like to thank everyone in advance for their input and I am a long time lurker of this forum.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017, 01:02 PM   #2
CGMike

2006 GTO Owner

Im in for some answers too. I have the stock manifolds with my TVS1900 and stock cam. see my sig for my power level. Im super happy with it but could use a little more haha

Current Other Cars:
59 VW Bug 1914cc
64 Nova 327 and Muncie, new project.
06 WRX VF43. Mild built motor
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4

www.facebook.com/Avcarsandcoffee/
AV Cars And Coffee every 3rd Sunday
Old 01-09-2017, 02:57 PM   #3
Silvah Goat
600 RWHP CLUB

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I ran the LS9 cam last year with the 1900 and made 629/636 with a slipping belt. Great drivability. Felt like a stock motor until you hammered it. It's a great blower cam but is limited to around my old power level. All depends if you want stock idle and decent power or if you're looking for world domination. I can't imagine you'd see much of a performance gain running it without a blower but I did most of my driving without having to build boost, and it went just fine. I did that with 1 3/4" headers and 2.5" cat back. All which has come off the car and is not going back on.
17 Acadia Limited 3.6 - Dealer sticker delete mod
Old 01-09-2017, 03:00 PM   #4
PvtBubbaGoat

Silvah do you know what is causing the belt slippage I am leaning toward a tvs1900.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:01 PM   #5
PvtBubbaGoat

CgMike what power or mph were you hitting in the quarter with your setup
Old 01-09-2017, 03:09 PM   #6
Silvah Goat
600 RWHP CLUB

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

It was the OKW 2.45" pulley on a 6 rib belt. I doubt you'd see the same slipping on a Maggie as they use a bigger pulley then the back pulleys can be altered in size. I am running the 8 rib LSA setup this year which should cure my problem.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:40 PM   #7
CGMike

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtBubbaGoat...View Post
CgMike what power or mph were you hitting in the quarter with your setup

I haven't run it in the quarter but it put down 503 hp @8 psi at the rear wheels. The TVS1900, 3inch pulley, cat back exhaust, LPE intake, and custom tune are all that's done to the motor.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:16 PM   #8
PvtBubbaGoat

Are you guys ls2 cars or ls1? And what is the best pulley combo to run for 500whp and no slip on a stock ls1 safely? Thank you for all the good info. What is the pulley swap you are talking about silvah?
Old 01-09-2017, 04:22 PM   #9
PvtBubbaGoat

Silvah I just read your whole build thread. It sounds unreal!! I know someone with a really low mile Lsa blower for sale would u recommend I go that route instead of the Maggie route? What are the advantages/disadvantages of a set up like that? Sorry for all the questions
Old 01-09-2017, 05:44 PM   #10
Silvah Goat
600 RWHP CLUB

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Are you guys ls2 cars or ls1? And what is the best pulley combo to run for 500whp and no slip on a stock ls1 safely? Thank you for all the good info. What is the pulley swap you are talking about silvah?

For a little while a kit was available (still may be) that would change the belt spacing of the LSA blower pulley. I had an ls1 but I elected to build an LS2 block because of the 4.000" bore. Can't fit ls9 heads on anything smaller because of the valve sizes.

Quote:
Silvah I just read your whole build thread. It sounds unreal!! I know someone with a really low mile Lsa blower for sale would u recommend I go that route instead of the Maggie route? What are the advantages/disadvantages of a set up like that? Sorry for all the questions

The LSA typically runs colder IAT temps being that the intercooler isn't sandwiched. I'm not sure you could run one on an LS1 car unless you changed to rectangle port heads that fit the 3.9" bore or used adapter plates with a new hood. Even 1/2" plates would ruin any changes of getting the hood to clear. Also the belt doesn't line up. So you can change all of your accessories or go the OKW offset pulley route. Some have had good success with it. I did not. If you can make things work, it's a fun build.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:15 PM   #11
PvtBubbaGoat

Thank you for all the input
Old 01-10-2017, 04:52 AM   #12
MuhThugga
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham

2004 GTO Owner

Once you start adding everything up, the LSA route isn't as economical as it originally seems, especially with a cathedral port head.

PROJECT SILVERBACK IS COMPLETE!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVDCGTO...View Post
Squeezing another 50 rwhp out of one of those setups would be like trying to squeeze the sarcasm out of MuhThugga. . . . . . . . not gonna happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87LC2...View Post
A Prius is a vehicular dunce cap.

Quote:
Drag racing is for people who love hard work and hate money.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:12 AM   #13
PvtBubbaGoat

I know it's not what I originally asked but does anyone have any problems with the tvs1900?and is the kit that Maryland speed sells complete and what kind of power would I see with the pulley set up it comes with?
Old 01-10-2017, 06:35 AM   #14
SkiPopeye36
FPFQ Herder

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

As an FYI, the TVS 1900's are now discontinued, so you'll need to look for a used one unless someone has a leftover new one sitting on a shelf somewhere. Call MarylandSpeed to check on their availability. They have the 112 kits listed and those haven't been available for years. Either MS is sitting on a few, or they haven't updated their website.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #15
PvtBubbaGoat

Thank you
Old 01-10-2017, 02:13 PM   #16
jkaschyk
Premium Member

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
I know it's not what I originally asked but does anyone have any problems with the tvs1900?and is the kit that Maryland speed sells complete and what kind of power would I see with the pulley set up it comes with?

When I bought a TVS1900 from Maryland Speed in '13, it shipped directly from Magnuson.

The problem(s) I had were the directions were for an '05-'06. I was able to download an '04 manual online, but they were for the 112. That might not be a problem for a competent wrench turner, but it was a problem for an idiot like me.

I exchanged a lot of emails with Magnuson tech support and got it done.

It doesn't sound like you'll be using any canned tune, but they sent me one for 42lb injectors, but the kit shipped with 60's. So, rich FT codes.

The unit itself has been trouble free. The stock pulleys give 6 pounds of boost and Magnuson claims it adds 120hp. I haven't had it dyno'd. Of course with your other mods, those figures won't mean much.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:39 PM   #17
PvtBubbaGoat

jkaschyk

Have you done anything to add to your blower/motor combination since 2013 and have you ever regretted not going to the 2300? Do you still run the blower and if you do how many miles have you put on it?
Old 01-11-2017, 06:49 AM   #18
jkaschyk
Premium Member

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
jkaschyk

Have you done anything to add to your blower/motor combination since 2013 and have you ever regretted not going to the 2300? Do you still run the blower and if you do how many miles have you put on it?

No. No other engine mods, so a 2300 wouldn't be a gain. I like that it's trouble free and drives stock until you get into boost. I didn't add the blower for track use. I just wanted to make it more fun to drive and didn't want to get into drivetrain and fuel mods. (other than the shifter)

It's only got 6k or so on it. I installed it at 34k on the car.

I did add a catch can as I was getting some gumminess on the by-pass valve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: