Coolant Leak - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > LS1/LS2 Engine Tech

Old 01-10-2017, 10:41 AM   #1
krellio23

2004 GTO Owner

Coolant Leak

Hi All-

Strange issue with the Goat. It's important to note that I have not driven the car since mid November(roughly 2 months). She's been sitting on a trickle charger and under a car cover in the garage for the winter months.

I go to the garage multiple times throughout the week to take a look at my baby and polish her in my free time. Last week, walked into the garage and noticed a rather large puddle of coolant directly under the skid plate, approx .25-.5 quart) seemingly leaking from directly above the skid plate. Jacked her up and removed the skid to find more fluid sitting on the top side of the skid, but was unable to pinpoint where exactly the leak was coming from. I know a lot of this will be speculation until im able to take the car in for a pressure test, but has anyone seen anything like this while a car is simply in storage? Overflow tank has plenty of coolant in there, but im certainly afraid to drive her too far knowing there is an active leak in the cooling system somewhere.

Thoughts? Action items? TIA
2004 PBM M6.....LS3 6.2, Monster G6X3 Cam, Kooks 1 7/8" ceramic coated N' catted, stock SAP catback, Svede OTRCAI, ROH Drift R's, BMR axles n' stubs, 90mm SD TB, LS7 Lifters, Tooley Platinum .660 Springs, TSP Hardened PushRods, SLP UDP, Tick Stage 2 Trans Rebuild, All Poly Bushings, CxRacing Coilovers, Hotchkis Sways F & R, Badlandz Electric Cutouts, HID's, Harlan Shift Light, GMM Ripshifter and tons of other customs 497rwhp/474tq
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

could be coming from anywhere in the cooling system, honestly. check all hoses, plastic side tanks.

there's only a handful of hoses/pipes, the water pump, surge tank, and the radiator itself.

i really don't think it's ever been cold enough for anything REALLY bad to happen, if you know what i mean, unless your coolant isn't mixed right.

( '_')o

(._. )

Quote:
The real enemy of truth is not ignorance, doubt, or even disbelief. It is false knowledge.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:10 AM   #3
krellio23

2004 GTO Owner

Thanks Noth, I see youre in a similar climate as myself, sure sucks having 5 months of ice and shit to deal with!

I do a dexcool/de-ionized water 50/50 mix for the coolant. Just thought this was super weird seeing as how the car hasn't been driven in so long.

Should I be afraid to drive the thing i.e. get it flatbedded to the operating room?

Old 01-10-2017, 11:19 AM   #4
cookmeup272

I would be looking at where the hose meets the water pump first.
2004 GTO LS1 M6 - SBE, PRC 2.5 62cc Heads, PRC .660 springs, MagicStick v3 cam, Melling High Pressure oil pump, Cometic 0.040" headgasket, Trunion Upgrade, TSP 7.450" pushrods, LS7 Lifters, 42lb injectors, underdrive pulley, Mishimoto radiator, Awespeed intake, Kooks longtubes/Catless mids, Borla catback, Monster Stage 3, 15" Race Star's, MT ET Drags
Best run - 12.1 @ 115, 1.8 60' with above setup/275 Nitto 555r's
12.8 @ 108, 1.8 60' with intake/exhaust/555r's
Old 01-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #5
blackgtos
Premium Member

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krellio23...View Post
Thanks Noth, I see youre in a similar climate as myself, sure sucks having 5 months of ice and shit to deal with!

I do a dexcool/de-ionized water 50/50 mix for the coolant. Just thought this was super weird seeing as how the car hasn't been driven in so long.

Should I be afraid to drive the thing i.e. get it flatbedded to the operating room?

I would start it up and see if it'll push out of wherever it's leaking.
Just make sure you have the radiator topped off before you do.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:00 PM   #6
BIG-L

2005 GTO Owner

Do a pressure test on the cooling system.

Last edited by BIG-L; 01-11-2017 at 03:48 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:31 PM   #7
krellio23

2004 GTO Owner

Thanks guys, Im gonna try to get someone over with a pressure tester so I don't have to drive her anywhere. Thank you all as always for the quick feedback and thoughts
Old 01-11-2017, 04:19 AM   #8
Firehawk409

2005 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to Firehawk409
You should be able to rent one from any parts store.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:26 AM   #9
krellio23

2004 GTO Owner

Thanks Firehawk, i did not realize they rent these out. The issue there is that i have an Aeroflow coolant overflow tank and the fitting size is different from OEM. Ill call up a local parts store and see if they rent these with multiple fittings.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:56 AM   #10
Firehawk409

2005 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to Firehawk409
Aaah ok... Well the kits from autozone and advanced have multiple OEM fittings and there is one piece that is adjustable.

I got a kit from advanced one time and of course the fitting i needed was missing. I used the adj fitting. It worked but would eventually pop out making a loud boom noise with coolant spraying every where...... Being I was highly concentrated and focused on locating a leak it scared the hell of me. I hate to admit this but it happened 3 times. Lol
Old 01-11-2017, 07:47 AM   #11
genoliver

2005 GTO Owner

I had a leak in mine that turned out to be the bypass heater control valve. leaking out the lower inlet and had to see.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:22 AM   #12
krellio23

2004 GTO Owner

Understandable! If I heard a loud BOOM while i was under the car Id probably freak out too. Thanks guys-
Old 01-11-2017, 09:17 AM   #13
Silvah Goat
600 RWHP CLUB

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I was programming a new key while working under the hood. Knew every ten minutes it was going to honk...got me every time.
17 Acadia Limited 3.6 - Dealer sticker delete mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: