LS1GTO Forums banner

Relocating Evap

15K views 57 replies 19 participants last post by  GOATLEY 
#1 ·
Anyone do this? Would like to clean up some of the clutter running across the front of the engine. I am talking about the two hoses that run across the front of the engine and has a canister near the passengers side valve cover. I know removing it would cause some issues, but is there a way to cheaply and effectively move it to clean up the engine bay?

#3 ·
I moved mine to the back of the engine. I bolted it to the rear hoist point. I ran a hose (3/8" I think) from the port on the manifold all the way back and then pulled the wires out of the harness to get them to reach back there... I'll try to dig up a pic

#7 ·
Im thinking about doing the same thing on mine. Are the hoses special for this? I nothiced they have a special clamp on each end and are stiffer than regular hoses. Also what exactly dose it do?

#9 ·
I relocated mine to the firewall near the fuel lines. I did this when I installed a new intake manifold. I don't think I have any pics but I can snap one if somebody wants. I reused the stock lines and fittings which required a good deal of time and effort. Not a good idea if you need to pass emission inspection, but it is very clean looking with only one EVAP line running down the drivers side of the engine and connecting to the front of the intake manifold.

#13 ·
I moved mine to the back.

It used to be run like this (red is hardline, green is solenoid):

Now its run like this (red is soft fuel line, green is solenoid):

Also took the plug from the back valve cover and plugged the front one with it, and installed a breather on the back one for the pcv:

It cleaned everything up nicely.

#21 ·
Well got it done last night, just went out and started ripping stuff apart and this is what I ended up with. Maybe some additional cleaning up sometime, but this is what I have for now. Looks a ton better already!

#22 ·
Yeah I did mines too about 2 weeks ago. I didnt have to cut anything, ended up using the same lines.

#23 ·
I just removed mine and plugged the port on the intake and the line on the firewall. Slowgoat tuned it out for me so I didn't get an SES - Done.

#24 ·
Any negative side effects to removing it completely? I just might do this... :turbonaug

#26 ·
No worries about that, I can turn the light off with HP tuners.

#27 ·
No real problem with a total delete of the evap unless your car has to go through emission inspection and they catch it in the visual inspection. Turn off the light with HP tuners and all is good. Just know that while you drive your killing the Coca Cola bear. LOL...

#29 ·
Thanks, Konnie. I have hp tuners so it wont be a problem.

And I don't mind killing the coca cola bear :turbonaug lol

#31 ·
lol darn... So this should count as a weight reduction also right???

#32 ·
Yeah, ive given up trying to defend emissions systems.

My plan is to modify the system using nissan parts when i do a new tank. Nissan's purge valve is tiny, and the vent control and tank pressure sensor mount to the canister. Smaller, lighter, less plumbing.

Also, being as the GMPP spider manifold doesnt have EVAP provisions per se, i have to make this shit up as i go anyway.

#33 ·
You must post pics and parts when you do this!

#34 ·
I just walked outside and looked at it. Looks like it should be really easy, anybody know what size caps to cap the ends on the intake and line? Should I just use a rubber vacuum cap? If not what would work better?

#36 ·
Interesting, any reason you don't want to remove it completely?

#37 ·
Because I personally feel that it is irresponsible to pollute for the hell of it. EVAP costs nothing in terms of power, and is about 7lbs in weight total. Not having it means venting a ton of raw Hydrocarbons into the air. Id rather burn those HC's than waste them.

#38 ·
Good point, may think twice about this then lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.