LS1GTO Forums banner

I'm only moderately insane (4kw stereo)

10K views 76 replies 25 participants last post by  GTOguy531 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm only moderately insane my stupid loud and stupid low car

I have started build logs of my stereo on a bunch of other sites and I guess I should include the first forum I ever joined and the one for cars like mine

So lets get started...

What the car currently has installed:

Headunit: Pioneer AVH-P3300BT
Speakers: Stock
Amps: stock, Pioneer GM-D7500M
deadening: Second Skin Alpha Damp on trunk lid and rear shelf
Subs: none (I had a type R 15 in the trunk for a long time)

What I currently have ready to install:

30 square feet more of Damplifier Pro

Fi SP4 15

Crescendo BC3500D

Second Skin Damplifier Pro door kit

2 Deka 8A31s. This is the location I am planning to make brackets to hold the batteries in place. 35 inches in between which is the same width I have been using for my box width.

60' of Bullz 1/0 wire (yes I know bullz isn't that good I will be replacing it eventually)

stinger voltage meter (blue leds)

100' of 10 gauge speaker wire

Zapco Studio 100

Pioneer D-series 6.75" component set (so far the biggest pita of this build)

What I currently have on order:

DDM 35 watt 6000k hids

What I plan to order/buy soon:

nothing :)

other plans:
Big 3 upgrade
remove spoiler

eventual plans:
H.I.D. and led exterior light conversion (partially started)
Upgraded Alarm w/ 2 way paging
re-tint windows (5% on sides and rear 55% on windshield)
replace 1/0 wire with 2/0 for big 3 and battery connections
upgraded alternator
more rear batteries
more sound deadening: (floor, rear quarter panels, and roof)
Upgraded suspension (either drag springs and new shocks or coilovers)

See less See more
#41 ·
Ive had some big subs in my life. That box is f'n huge!

#43 ·
nice!!!!!!!!!
damn you used every bit of space available in the trunk of the goat. not much left for air movement.

lets see how long the trunk will stay closed, or how long the gas tank will remain in place LOL

nice nice nice work

#45 ·
Yeah I wish I had more room for air movement shit gets hot as hell in my trunk. I could probably cook on the zapco after playing the stereo for a little while...

I used to have an eclipse titanium 15 in a 4ish cube box with a 1800 watt rockford on it. Shit was crazy.

F yo decklid guy.
I bet. Without the deadener when I had my type R :pir_flag: The trunk rattled a lot I am going to deaden my trunk lid with another layer in the coming weeks to try to keep some more noise in the car.

#46 ·
A little update:

I made it back from slamology safely I met some awesome people and saw some awesome cars in both the slammed and slammin' sections.

The car metered a 139.5 at 47 hz sealed on the dash on the termlab which disappointed me. We tried pulling the rear seats out and opening the driver's door. It changed the peak a little bit but remained at 139.5 decibels. I now want to try to sort it out a little more now that I am not rushing for a show. Probably going to experiment some more on the termlab with opening doors and windows and stuff like that.

#49 ·
What box designs have people had success with in their gtos? SPL score wise? tuning high? low? big box? small box? My current box is 4ish cubes before displacement. I think I can make it an inch or so taller. I might try a 2-3ish cube box for my next 1 just to try something different.

#53 ·
It takes POWER and CONE area to build SPL,you need alot of both or an ass load of one are the other. If your trying to make a SPL meter move you will have to shoot for the 60hz range,low bass does not build pressure like a 60 hz note will.Any vibration and ratiling will knock down SPL.If you want some help give me a call and ill give you a few tips.I built the loudest truck in the world years ago,by today standards it was a tird but back in the day we were about twice as loud as the reighning champ

#54 ·
Per meca rules my bass amps have to be in the stock cargo area so on the back of the box or the spare tire well are my options.

However If I can fit mids/highs amps under the rear seat I may do that. I think I might get a zapco 650.6 for the front stage or some zapco 4 channel and use my studio 100 for my tweeters

#61 · (Edited)
Unlike my other build logs (on other sites) this one appears to have been active while I wasn't paying attention.

I have thought about relocating the tank and cutting out the rear wall. However then I am in the modified class anyway and running 1 15 on close to 4000 watts, and at the cost a wall may be a better solution if I choose to continue competing with this car. I already have a bit of a 3 18s wall in mind... Hmm I guess there will be another build log down the road which ever route I take. I doubt that I will wall the car. At the moment it's too nice to wall. Most likely I will attempt to change the gas tank somehow and run 2 15s on 6000 to 8000 watts. Eventually I would like to do a swap to a corvette or f-body waterpump and alternator set up and get an ortcai. With this position change I could do a dual or triple alternator set up.

6000k HID/LED conversion:

led amber sidemarkers in clear housings

Here are some pics of my quietness:

Holy sag... ok it's not that bad:

Oh and something concerning my brother's GTO's progress:

Other GTO's current state (04/PBM/black)

Headunit: Clarion CX609 with ASWC & Bluetooth handsfree
electrical system: stock 150 amp alternator, 1 Optima yellowtop under the hood
Amps: factory
Speakers: Stock
deadening: ??? on the rear quarterpanels, and trunk floor
other mods: aftermarket mufflers, Enkei EKM3 18" wheels, 05/06 front brake set up, braided brake lines, JHP lip spoiler

eventual plan: APSM1500 bass amp, 1 American Bass XFL 12" sub, false floor style box, eventually American Bass front stage and an APSM 4 channel, and plenty of deadener

#62 ·
Im not sure what your trying to do,you already have a fbody type pump,the moroso electric will give you the most clearance .I dont know what your goal is ,if you want to make some sick bass i can help you do that in your trunk.If you want to win a few local events i can help you do that,if you want to be a world champ,i can help you do that.Each step will require more decimal points but we can do it.You can give me a call after aug 4th,im slamed till then with Camaro 5 fest,after that ill be glad to go over some ideas with you.

#64 ·
I decided to take some pictures of my car last night. I know they aren't really amazing but still an update on how it looks. I don't remember if I ever included this in this thread but I am now I am running BC br Coilovers with 7k/10k front/rear spring rates. I also have Lovells Shock and Strut bushings

#67 ·
Hmm I guess I have an update. The passengers door had water in it and killed my Pioneer D-series 6.5. So I did the only possible thing and upgraded to Zapco 6.5 inch slim components. they sound so awesome but now I am having a protection issue with my zapco amp so I'm going to inspect that in the morning. Oh and the car is kinda slammed

#68 · (Edited)
With constant issues with my current front stage I am starting to plan how I am going to go all out on the front stage... What I am thinking: In the kick panels fiberglass either 2 6.5" woofers or 2 8" woofers in each, somehow put 2 3.5" midrange speakers in each door either hidden behind the grills or fiberglass the grills smooth and mount them there. For highs I am going to put 2 tweeters in each A-pillar I am not sure whether I will glass them in or what yet, like I said I am planning this still. For power I will probably either go with Hifonics or MB Quart 4 channels and it will be a 100% active set up. Eventually I will go with some high quality SQ speakers but for now I am just going to get either cheap pro audio stuff, or just cheap stuff. Eventually I will get high quality amps as well.

I am also going to go through the substage and finally rebuild the box. This times plan...

keep the Fi SP4 running off of the 3500. Box will be about 4 cubes again probably. What has changed you may be asking? The port is the answer. This time I am going to somehow try to run 2 4" aeroports through the rear shelf. Most likely my peak frequency will be 30-33 hz.

#69 · (Edited)
Oh and my brother and I got bored one day and wanted to see if the stereo could do a hairtrick... and I'll leave the whether it is a hairtrick or not to your judgement. The song is a slowed version of Love Sosa by Chief Keef. I think it peaks around 25 or so hz... Any distortion heard is from the iphone microphone it is loud and clear in person

#70 ·
I evaluated my front stage issues today. So one tweeter is definitely blown. the crossovers are really an unknown issue. The mids are still good. So I looked at my kicks and I don't think I can do anything more effectively than a single 8 there. I think I am going to try to get RE rex8d4's. So the RE SX's may not have ever played in the car there will be an RE sub playing in it. For tweeters I will probably go with some sort of vifa tweet. I like how the attached vifa tweets look. I like the dayton 3s or vifa 3.5s. If I do a 3 way front stage I think I am going to go with one of the previously posted MB quart OA400.4s and probably a MB Quart ONX2.100 for the RE's. If I go the 4 way route and keep the zapco 6.5s, run the 8s in the kicks, run tweets in the pillars, and a 3-3.5s in the door I will probably use 2 OA 400.4s or maybe 1 400.4 and one more powerful 4 channel. I may glass the 3 or 3.5 into the sail panels if the kicks turn out well and there is not enough space in the stock speaker grill area.

Vifa tweets:http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=264-1018

REs: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_27300_RE-Audio-REX8D4.html

Vifa 3.5s: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=264-1062

Dayton 3s: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-422

I am going to tune my new box fairly low maybe 30ish hz with 2 aeroports through the rear shelf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.