LS1GTO Forums banner

402 stroker or ls7

6K views 41 replies 16 participants last post by  Machine2004 
#1 ·
Been building a new 402 stroker but now am considering maybe going with a ls7. What are the pro's and con's

#6 ·
Everything else being equal ( balance, coatings, etc) you should be able to rev the 402 as high/higher than the 427. 402 would have a smaller circumference, so less surface area friction, and less piston mass on the same rod and stroke. Can a more experienced member please veify/discredit my modest understanding please?

#3 ·
402 Stroker...LS7's make great power but in car as heavy as the GTO id go 402 stroker with production or aftermarket cathedral port heads...may not make as much peak HP as LS3/LS7 headed cars but torque will be much better In my opinion

#17 ·
resleeving an LS2 block $2000.00 in machine work alone , LS7 heads minimum of $2500.00 for stock take off heads from ebay not taking into account most people try to keep the Ti valves, offset rockers , LS7 intake , wet sumps vs. dry sump
F all that BS

#23 ·
No wrong answer. Dollar wise the 402 is a better deal. If money was no object I'd drop in a 427 in a hot minute.

#26 ·
Don't forget I believe sensors have different connectors. So that would mean cutting and splicing I believe.

Also, my vote is for a 402. It's just easier in my mind. I would love a ls7 don't get me wrong lol.

#33 ·
No doubt dollar for dollar the best bang for the buck is a LS3 417/418 including the L92 style heads and intake.

If your asking what has the best power potential, the LS7 top end dominates that category.

A dry or wet sump can be used on any of the above.

How fast you want to go is defined in "cubic dollars".

Cheap, Fast or Reliable. Pick any two.

#35 ·
402 , 416/418 no matter...when you get to 4.125" and bigger is where the LS3/LS7 heads really showm their potential...Im running 243's on a 418 LS3 and its worked out fine... great torque , pretty good HP ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.