Wilwood BBK question - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Suspension/Steering/Brakes

Old 01-28-2017, 12:33 PM   #1
Terrystasko

2005 GTO Owner

Wilwood BBK question

Anyone running the new six piston kit on stock 18s? I'm thinking about using them for my aftermarket wheels, and I did the measurements with the diagram that they supply online but I'm still not positive. If someone is running them on stock 18s can you tell me how much clearance you have from the spoke to the caliper? I'm not worried about diameter I'm worried about the caliper being too far outward from the car and hitting the spokes of my wheel. My aftermarket wheels have about a half inch less space from spoke to caliper the the stock 18 inch ones. So if there is more than a half an inch clearance from the Wilwood kit then I'm in business.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2017, 10:09 AM   #2
AZNGoatDriver2
Track Goat

2006 GTO Owner

I will let you know about mine later tonight. I have the six piston Wilwood BBK with stock 18's on it.

-Thanks Pops-
Old 02-17-2017, 05:25 AM   #3
LongRifles
Premium Member

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I have a 2004 with Wilwoods on all 4 corners. At the time of the installation the car had factory wheels/tires. 6 piston fronts, 4 piston rears. slotted rotors, but not cross drilled.

No issues.

On that note.

The cross drilled rotors look cool. They look really cool, no doubt. On a street application it was emphasized to me with an exclamation that using them would result in problems, cracked disks...

I've been a machinist for a long time now, I'm no engineer, but I do work with them often. Cross drilled cast iron opens the door for fractures on a disk being subjected to massive amounts of torsional loading. Just something to consider.

Last: The only real issue I had was fitting up the rear calipers. The sheet metal dust shield was in the way and I ended up using a pneumatic nibbler and Roloc disk to remove it. -wasn't my best work, lol.

Good luck.

C.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:52 AM   #4
GTO44
2006GTO M6 dd-drag-roadcourse

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRifles...View Post
The cross drilled rotors look cool. They look really cool, no doubt. On a street application it was emphasized to me with an exclamation that using them would result in problems, cracked disks...

Yep. I used a cheaper set of cross-drilled & slotted rotors (PowerStop i believe) on the goat a long time ago. After about 6 months of DD, they were warped and had spider cracks around almost every hole. I'm lucky they didn't just break in half.

On a heavy car like this I agree, stay away from cross drilled for DD. Although, I haven't heard anyone mention this about the higher quality DBA cross drilled rotors...

Sorry OP, i know this has nothing to do with what your asking, just thought I'd add on to what Longrifles said.

Vararam only, stock tune
Monster Level 2, Tick MC, RS T.Mount, Revshit insert, Hinson M.Mounts
Lovell 340/370mm springs, Koni Sports shocks/struts
Lovell Bushings: Strut Mounts & Bearings, ajust. Radius rod, rear subframe, Diff insert, rear endlinks
Hotchkis Adjust. Sways, Nobush Endlinks
DBA T3 Clubspec slotted, hawk HP+, Russle SS, Motul 600
Rebuilt T56, blocker ring kit, Tick billet 3/4 keys & springs
Dragbags, Catchcan, PTI 1-piece Alum. DS

365/368 (std)
12.81@110.6 2.03 60'
Old 02-20-2017, 08:13 AM   #5
Terrystasko

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZNGoatDriver2...View Post
I will let you know about mine later tonight. I have the six piston Wilwood BBK with stock 18's on it.

Thanks buddy!
if you could just measure from the spoke to the caliper.
On another note, how do you like them?

2005 GTO M6
BC Coil-overs, Hotchkis sways, DSS 1 piece, DBA 5000 T3 in front, DBA 4000 T3 in rear. Hurst SS, Pace Setter long tube, catless mids with 'H' pipe, JBA cat back. Russel SS brake lines, 3.90's with Truetrac, Svede ORCAI, SCSS gauges, lots of poly.
2000 Jeep Wrangler - Way too much to list
2014 Acura MDX - Wifey's car
2012 Acura TL - Company car/DD
Old 02-20-2017, 08:15 AM   #6
Terrystasko

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRifles...View Post
I have a 2004 with Wilwoods on all 4 corners. At the time of the installation the car had factory wheels/tires. 6 piston fronts, 4 piston rears. slotted rotors, but not cross drilled.

No issues.

On that note.

I've been a machinist for a long time now, I'm no engineer, but I do work with them often. Cross drilled cast iron opens the door for fractures on a disk being subjected to massive amounts of torsional loading. Just something to consider.

Last: The only real issue I had was fitting up the rear calipers. The sheet metal dust shield was in the way and I ended up using a pneumatic nibbler and Roloc disk to remove it. -wasn't my best work, lol.

Good luck.

C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO44...View Post
Yep. I used a cheaper set of cross-drilled & slotted rotors (PowerStop i believe) on the goat a long time ago. After about 6 months of DD, they were warped and had spider cracks around almost every hole. I'm lucky they didn't just break in half.

On a heavy car like this I agree, stay away from cross drilled for DD. Although, I haven't heard anyone mention this about the higher quality DBA cross drilled rotors...

Sorry OP, i know this has nothing to do with what your asking, just thought I'd add on to what Longrifles said.

Thanks guys. Yeah, i never intended on the cross-drilled ones. I've had bad experiences also, even with my factory Porsche ones!
I intend on just getting the slotted ones.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:51 AM   #7
gtobaadgoat50
2004 GTO

2004 GTO Owner

Anyone needs some polymatrix H pads for this setup let me know. I have a killer deal on a set. By far the best pad for this setup...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: