Brazen.....Black, Gunmetal to contrast - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Appearance/Detailing

Old 02-13-2017, 09:33 AM   #1
96SS390

2006 GTO Owner

Brazen.....Black, Gunmetal to contrast

Initially when I purchased the car I was pretty dead set on following the standard Black OEMs, Hood Scoops, maybe "LS2" or "GTO" emblem on the side skirts, and even possibly black Grand Sport stripe on the fender. Then long term purchasing a set of VMR 710s in Black.

I then found a picture of a Brazen with Gunmetal VMR's and it got me to thinking what if instead of black scoops I went with more of a gunmetal grey theme throughout the car. Some parts and pieces I was thinking was Front Grilles, Hood Scoops, Lower Grille, VMR's, Arrowhead Emblems, Brake Calipers.

Still torn and thought I would get some input.

Also while I am at it thoughts on debadging except the arrowhead emblem? Part of me likes the nostalgia of the stock fener and trunk emblems but part of me thinks it would look so much cleaner without them.
2006 BOM M6 l FAST92 l LPE CAI l Kooks Stepped Headers/Catless Mids l Magnaflow 2.5" l Pedders XA l GMM Race l GForce Axles/Stubs l Harrop Cover l SJM Line Lock l JamesBiz CC l BMR Skid Plate l Katech Coil Relocation/Covers l OEM 18" Wheels l More to come...
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2017, 04:42 AM   #2
morrison2951
2005 Pontiac GTO CGM A4

2005 GTO Owner

Hmmm.... personally never been a fan of the unmatched color hood scoops myself. In fact, I had my rear insert painted CGM to match instead of the OEM gray.

To each his own as they say.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:58 AM   #3
SkiPopeye36
FPFQ Herder

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I've had black hood scoop inserts and can confidently say that they look much better body color. To each their own though.

Grand Sport stripes belong on a Grand Sport. That's all I'll say about those.

Wheels are entirely subjective, so get whatever suits your fancy. OEM 18's in the OEM silver are damn good looking though.

De-badging is a good idea for the rear "6.0" and "Pontiac" as it really cleans up the trunk. There are holes beneath the side badges on the front fenders, so you will either need to replace them with Monaro lights or weld/paint the holes.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:50 AM   #4
96SS390

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiPopeye36...View Post
I've had black hood scoop inserts and can confidently say that they look much better body color. To each their own though.

Grand Sport stripes belong on a Grand Sport. That's all I'll say about those.

Wheels are entirely subjective, so get whatever suits your fancy. OEM 18's in the OEM silver are damn good looking though.

De-badging is a good idea for the rear "6.0" and "Pontiac" as it really cleans up the trunk. There are holes beneath the side badges on the front fenders, so you will either need to replace them with Monaro lights or weld/paint the holes.

Thanks for the reply. Regarding the Hood Scoops I am sort of on the edge. The only reason I have been evaluating is I have a spare set that came with the car so I figured I would clean them up and put them on and see how I like it if not I will just simply swap back. I did see a guy on here a while back that just painted the inside of the scoop and left the outer trim body color. Wonder how that would look.

Regarding the GS Stripe I am kinda of there with you I was just trying to come up with small things that might add some accent color to the car.

I plan on keeping the original OEM 18's the way they are. If I decide I want black or gunmetal I will buy a second set (probably have them widened before) and store the originals. I like both the OEM's 18's and VMR 710's I just cant decide if Black or Gray looks better within Brazen but I can understand that is very subjective.

Thanks for the information on the emblems. I plan to debadge the rear but the side emblems were actually probably my least favorite so that kind of throws a wrench in the situation as I am not sure I want to commit to welding/painting for just a simple little emblem.

Jared
Old 02-14-2017, 06:56 AM   #5
SkiPopeye36
FPFQ Herder

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Heck, if you have a spare set of hood scoops, then go ahead and paint them and see how you like them. That's actually what I did. They looked good at first, but started to really look off the longer I kept them on. I finally pulled them and went back to body color.

You know what really looks good on Brazen? Polished CCW's...

A set of the GTOGATA SAP grilles would really look good as well. The fitment and construction is spot on perfect.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:57 AM   #6
zech912
Wol Gemut

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

stock 18s or polished 5 spokes with bom for sure.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1256.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	450034  

"Others have caught on, but they haven't caught up." ...1968 GTO ad
Old 02-14-2017, 06:59 AM   #7
zech912
Wol Gemut

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I was posting above as ski was stating polished CCWs.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:13 AM   #8
SkiPopeye36
FPFQ Herder

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Good minds think alike.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:19 AM   #9
zech912
Wol Gemut

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

well, you have one of the sharpest minds on the site. so I receive that.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:28 AM   #10
05ls7gto
Original Owners Club

2006 GTO Owner

I concur with the sentiment of leaving the scoops body color rather than black, however an alternate option is what Raymond has done - paint only the inlet portion black and leave the rest body color. Looks pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond...View Post
This has worked for me for years. Just paint the inside and leave the body color to flow with the hood lines. Also did the SAP grilles to match.

Also did my Barbados the same way.

2005 QSM/Anthracite/17/A4 - R.I.P.
2006 SRM/Anthracite/17/M6 - Mod List
2014 PBM Chevy SS/Sunroof/No Spare - LSA Supercharged, Holden Conversion
2016 SLIHRM Chevy SS/M6/Sunroof/Spare - Holden Conversion
Old 02-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #11
BRZN
Yea, I belong to a club!

2006 GTO Owner

It's your car, do as you want and make it your own.
However:

My Mod List w/Pictures
brzndave on Instagram
Old 02-16-2017, 07:06 AM   #12
96SS390

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZN...View Post
However:

Your car and Brazen06's Brazen SAP combo have me obsessed with doing a conversion. At first I wasn't hip on the grills just wanted to do a Rocker/Fascia/Spoiler (and bumper if I cant find one) but now I am thinking the grills will come as well.

About to order the MavMan arrowheads in black.

I like the OEM 18's and by no means have any dislike driving them around but have been doing exactly what your suggesting in coming up with small appereance modifications to make it my own.

As much as I like the chrome wheels on Brazen I think if I went that route I would want a pretty "thick" solid 5 spoke similar to the polished 18's or something like the 5th Gen 5 Spokes.

I still think I am more along the lines of a Gunmetal or Black VMR series though.

Thanks for the pics BRZN I think you have convinced me to debadge the rear.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:26 AM   #13
ACCLR8N
Chief CAD monkey

2005 GTO Owner

I have been down this same path as well. I went with polished and graphite wheels. I don't get you young kids and your black wheels. They just disappear to me.

I also blacked out my scoops like the Monaro CV8Z with no regrets. For the side badges I went with an aftermarket LED side marker that I feel has a little more pizzaz than the Monaro VW wart. I rocked the Grand Sport stripes for a while and liked them. When one began to bubble up, I pulled them off and never got around to putting them back. If I did it was going to be something subtler than the bright silver contrast.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monaro side.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	492.7 KB
ID:	450202   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO_TA2.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	474.4 KB
ID:	450210  

2005 MBM 6spd Single front mount GT45 turbo. Kept A/C, didn't move the battery and it has a real air filter.

Last edited by ACCLR8N; 02-16-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:40 AM   #14
SkiPopeye36
FPFQ Herder

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96SS390...View Post
As much as I like the chrome wheels on Brazen

Those are fully polished forged aluminum CCW SP550's. Nice thick 5-spoke wheel
Old 02-16-2017, 07:52 AM   #15
96SS390

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Quote:
As much as I like the chrome wheels on Brazen

Those are fully polished forged aluminum CCW SP550's. Nice thick 5-spoke
wheel

My apologies I was by no means trying to discredit the build quality of the wheels...it was my poor assimilation that chrome = all shiny wheels lol I guess without spending the time to research build materials of wheels I just use the term chrome as more of a color reference not so much what it is actually made of
Old 02-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #16
stickpony

Quote:
Your car and Brazen06's Brazen SAP combo have me obsessed with doing a conversion. At first I wasn't hip on the grills just wanted to do a Rocker/Fascia/Spoiler (and bumper if I cant find one) but now I am thinking the grills will come as well.

About to order the MavMan arrowheads in black.

I like the OEM 18's and by no means have any dislike driving them around but have been doing exactly what your suggesting in coming up with small appereance modifications to make it my own.

As much as I like the chrome wheels on Brazen I think if I went that route I would want a pretty "thick" solid 5 spoke similar to the polished 18's or something like the 5th Gen 5 Spokes.

I still think I am more along the lines of a Gunmetal or Black VMR series though.

Thanks for the pics BRZN I think you have convinced me to debadge the rear.

I notice the lack of SAP rear bumper here, which is brilliant, IMO, its the only part of the SAP package i never liked,
Old 02-16-2017, 01:53 PM   #17
Blue Dream
Still stock and proud of it..

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZN...View Post
However:

By far my favorite looking car on the forum. It helps that I'm a born and raised Texas Longhorn so this is about as close to burnt orange as you can get on a Goat w/o going custom. Well done BRZN.......

1 of 101 SRM, 6mt, 17" wheels, black interior 06 GTO's
Old 02-17-2017, 02:30 AM   #18
BRZN
Yea, I belong to a club!

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickpony...View Post
I notice the lack of SAP rear bumper here, which is brilliant, IMO, its the only part of the SAP package i never liked,

I've got one stashed in a box in the basement. It's not so much I don't like it, as I prefer the look of the OEM one much better.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:48 AM   #19
morrison2951
2005 Pontiac GTO CGM A4

2005 GTO Owner

Agreed on the OEM rear bumper appearance over the SAP one.

I did get the OEM SAP front grilles and for me I had them painted CGM to match. As stated before, make the car your own. Here over a decade after its introduction, the Goat is still a looker and in may case with all the painted to match parts, a sleeper!
Old 02-17-2017, 02:05 PM   #20
GTO1_OHIO

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCLR8N...View Post
I don't get you young kids and your black wheels. They just disappear to me.

Definitely not a young kid and I don't think they disappear

Old 02-19-2017, 02:33 PM   #21
96SS390

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Heck, if you have a spare set of hood scoops, then go ahead and paint them and see how you like them. That's actually what I did. They looked good at first, but started to really look off the longer I kept them on. I finally pulled them and went back to body color.

You know what really looks good on Brazen? Polished CCW's...

A set of the GTOGATA SAP grilles would really look good as well. The fitment and construction is spot on perfect.

Is the OEM SAP fascia a piece that attachs to the original bumper and if so are the aftermarket models any good. I have been evaluating this as I do like the lower fascia piece a lot
Old 02-19-2017, 04:08 PM   #22
SkiPopeye36
FPFQ Herder

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I said grilles; not fascia.

That said, yes, the SAP fascia is an extension that attaches to the bumper. I have an older West Coast Speed extension which fits OK. Can't comment on the one being sold by GTOG8TA though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: