Car Suddenly won't start...About to dump this thing in Lake Erie - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Tech Lounge

Old 03-28-2017, 10:21 AM   #1
confutatis
Dazed & Confused

2006 GTO Owner

Car Suddenly won't start...About to dump this thing in Lake Erie

So I get in about a half hour ago to drive to an eye doctor appointment, turn the key, the car is cranking...and cranking...and then stops after starting cycle runs it course. I tried a few more times--no go. Then I get an alert: ABS Fault.

Could a such a fault prevent the car from starting? And what might be causing this fault.

This car has been such a pain in the ass the last year or so. I'm about ready to throw my hands up and walk away from it.

Frustrated David in OH

P.S. Forgot to mention that this happened several weeks ago, but after a few starting cycles, the car started. I thought it might be a security issue, so didn't think anything of it at the time.

Last edited by confutatis; 03-28-2017 at 10:28 AM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
Cruiser787904
Blown by TVS 1900

2004 GTO Owner

I would start by checking the battery and at the very least charging since it is likely run down at this point. Disconnect the battery well charging to reset the computer. When the batteries start to go they can cause some funky stuff to happen on these cars. Once you have that squared away you need to check for fuel, spark and air.

Fuel pump is a possibility since it just cranked with no start. That should get you going in the right direction. Good luck! FYI ABS fault is common with a weak or failing battery.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:47 AM   #3
DangerNoodle
The battle of wits has begun.

2004 GTO Owner

Dying battery not holding charge
Dying alternator not providing proper voltage / seizing up
Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...

Last edited by DangerNoodle; 03-29-2017 at 10:50 PM.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:48 AM   #4
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

ABS fault is probably from low voltage. Just a consequence of cranking too long.

( '_')o

(._. )

Quote:
The real enemy of truth is not ignorance, doubt, or even disbelief. It is false knowledge.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:52 AM   #5
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Although, a dead/disconnected abs module would cause a no start. I think this was an issue when people pursued ABS deletion back in the day, before they learned to bypass it. I think it has something to do with CAN Bus, but i don't remember.

I'll look it up later... if i remember.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:53 AM   #6
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr.../359531?page=1
Old 03-28-2017, 10:54 AM   #7
confutatis
Dazed & Confused

2006 GTO Owner

"Dying battery not holding charge"

Would it still be able to crank the engine as much as it did. I mean, it didn't "sound" like the battery was weak to begin with--of course, it is now.

I've been having a chattering noise coming from the alternator for several weeks now. I actually have the new alternator, but haven't put it in yet. Maybe this could be the real problem as you suggested.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:09 AM   #8
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confutatis...View Post
"Dying battery not holding charge"

Would it still be able to crank the engine as much as it did. I mean, it didn't "sound" like the battery was weak to begin with--of course, it is now.

I've been having a chattering noise coming from the alternator for several weeks now. I actually have the new alternator, but haven't put it in yet. Maybe this could be the real problem as you suggested.

If your car cranked and eventually started, then no.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #9
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

get the battery back to 100% charge. if it cranks and eventually starts, a battery or alternator isn't preventing it from starting, if they are dying or not.

do the basics - check fuel and spark. make sure you get fuel prime on key-on, check fuel pressure. you can use a noid light or a stethoscope to check to see if the injectors are firing. you can check for spark with a spark tester. check spark plug condition.

check sensor data while cranking and after you manage to get it started with an obd scan tool, torque app, or hptuners.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:37 PM   #10
Magnified
It's simple physics

2006 GTO Owner

I suspect the battery at this point. Can be other things, but these cars are stupidly sensitive that way (at least in my experience).

LR
2006 PBM (now dirt brown) A4, Magnacharger, Kooks LT, high flow cats, Magnaflow x-pipe, stock pipes into race glass packs, drag bags, subframe connectors/jacking rails, 18x8.5/40 offset Bayern Mesh chrome up front, 18X9.5/45 in the rear, Michelin Pilot Sport PSII, fender roll, DIY catch can, DIY factory amp mod, tuned by Chuck, black badges.

Street configuration consistent #s ONCE UPON A TIME - 12.13 / 117.5 / 1.90 60 foot. 3.75 second 0-60. Lots of wheel spin.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:05 PM   #11
confutatis
Dazed & Confused

2006 GTO Owner

Stepson and I tried to jump it a few hours ago, and no start. Turned the car on/off to see if we could here the fuel pump--absolute quiet. Checked the fuel rail for pressure--there was none. And I didn't smell gas at all. We're thinking it's the fuel pump, so I guess I'll start from there.

Piece by piece I seem to be replacing every bit of this car.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:16 PM   #12
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Verify it's actually the pump first. Does the relay get power on key on? Can you force the pump on? (Using hptuners, if you have it?) Test for voltage at the pump on key on or during cranking.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:01 AM   #13
DangerNoodle
The battle of wits has begun.

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothubertjfarnsworth...View Post
get the battery back to 100% charge. if it cranks and eventually starts, a battery or alternator isn't preventing it from starting, if they are dying or not.

do the basics - check fuel and spark. make sure you get fuel prime on key-on, check fuel pressure. you can use a noid light or a stethoscope to check to see if the injectors are firing. you can check for spark with a spark tester. check spark plug condition.

check sensor data while cranking and after you manage to get it started with an obd scan tool, torque app, or hptuners.

FYI not 100% true. Dying alternator could be seizing which would affect the car cranking over.

My car suffered from weird issues where one day it would start, the next it wouldn't, while running it would stall out, and then finally my GTO stalled while I was driving and it wouldn't crank back over. Towed the car home then while checking it with a friend it turned over!

Turned out my Alternator was dying but not dead. We took the belt off and when spinning the alternator by hand every 8th-ish rotation the alternator would lock up, and take a lot of force to keep rotating. So it appeared to be giving normal voltage when actually it was dipping constantly and the seizing was putting a lot of extra stress on the engine.

Last edited by DangerNoodle; 03-29-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:18 AM   #14
SkiPopeye36
FPFQ Herder

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

FWIW, I experienced the same issue on my 05 a few years ago trying to start it with a dying battery. Kept cranking then gave me an ABS fault light. Replaced the battery and all was well with the world.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:21 AM   #15
morrison2951
2005 Pontiac GTO CGM A4

2005 GTO Owner

Yep- likely it's time for a new battery.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:24 AM   #16
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerNoodle...View Post
FYI not 100% true. Dying alternator could be seizing which would affect the car cranking over.

My car suffered from weird issues where one day it would start, the next it wouldn't, while running it would stall out, and then finally my GTO stalled while I was driving and it wouldn't crank back over. Towed the car home then while checking it with a friend it turned over!

Turned out my Alternator was dying but not dead. We took the belt off and when spinning the alternator by hand every 8th-ish rotation the alternator would lock up, and take a lot of force to keep rotating. So it appeared to be giving normal voltage when actually it was dipping constantly and putting a lot of extra stress on the engine.

Interesting.

But you still noticed the irregular crank, i'm sure.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:16 PM   #17
Lakegoat

2005 GTO Owner

Fuel pump relay
Old 03-29-2017, 12:17 PM   #18
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegoat...View Post
Fuel pump relay

Clairvoyant?
Old 03-29-2017, 12:26 PM   #19
cookmeup272

Just seems like this is going to be another guessing game thread out of the 5 or so that have already been created that ends up getting no where.
2004 GTO LS1 M6 - SBE, PRC 2.5 62cc Heads, PRC .660 springs, MagicStick v3 cam, Melling High Pressure oil pump, Cometic 0.040" headgasket, Trunion Upgrade, TSP 7.450" pushrods, LS7 Lifters, 42lb injectors, underdrive pulley, Mishimoto radiator, Awespeed intake, Kooks longtubes/Catless mids, Borla catback, Monster Stage 3, 15" Race Star's, MT ET Drags
Best run - 12.1 @ 115, 1.8 60' with above setup/275 Nitto 555r's
12.8 @ 108, 1.8 60' with intake/exhaust/555r's
Old 03-29-2017, 12:42 PM   #20
Blue Dream
Still stock and proud of it..

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Sadly I have that same suspicion.....

1 of 101 SRM, 6mt, 17" wheels, black interior 06 GTO's
Old 03-29-2017, 01:35 PM   #21
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookmeup272...View Post
Just seems like this is going to be another guessing game thread out of the 5 or so that have already been created that ends up getting no where.

Not so much like a guessing game as it is trying to herd cats.

I am starting to see why tech support guys ask stupid, super basic questions over the phone to start off with.

I'm going to have to start doing the same thing to people.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:46 PM   #22
SkiPopeye36
FPFQ Herder

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Not so much like a guessing game as it is trying to herd cats.

I am starting to see why tech support guys ask stupid, super basic questions over the phone to start off with.

I'm going to have to start doing the same thing to people.

Word.

This is not directed at the OP, but some people have no business trying to diagnose a car issue.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:33 PM   #23
Blue Dream
Still stock and proud of it..

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiPopeye36...View Post
Word.

This is not directed at the OP, but some people have no business trying to diagnose a car issue.

Totally agree. Also, some issues just can't be diagnosed over an internet chat forum, they need hands-on attention by someone who knows their sh!t.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:49 AM   #24
cookmeup272

I think it would have benefitted the OP to not have created so many threads and just stick to 1, that would have consolidated all the previous asked questions and answers, since his "various" problems are more than likely related.

But with that being said, I feel for the dude.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:56 AM   #25
Lakegoat

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Clairvoyant?

Don't call me Clair
Old 03-30-2017, 06:28 AM   #26
confutatis
Dazed & Confused

2006 GTO Owner

Re:

The reason folks like me come to these forums (at least for me, anyway) is to ask questions and build a "trouble shooting list" when problems arise. The more questions that are asked, the more I learn about the problem and solutions. I'd rather spend my time here on the Internet conversing with people who know the car as opposed to taking it somewhere and have a guy diagnosing a problem he may or may not have real knowledge about. And besides all that, my goal is to avoid having to have someone else do the work for me and end up costing me a ton of money.

I'll admit I can be a bit of a pain in the ass when it comes to asking a lot of questions on the same subject. I'm just trying to avoid miscommunication and confusion. I know that rubs some people here the wrong way, so my apologies for that.

David in OH
Old 03-30-2017, 07:17 AM   #27
Lakegoat

2005 GTO Owner

LOL, Ask away. We all learn something fro these posts. If you solve it and repost on here the solution, then when it happens to us, maybe we can remember the cure.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:08 AM   #28
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegoat...View Post
Don't call me Clair

Shirley you jest.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:09 AM   #29
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
The reason folks like me come to these forums (at least for me, anyway) is to ask questions and build a "trouble shooting list" when problems arise. The more questions that are asked, the more I learn about the problem and solutions. I'd rather spend my time here on the Internet conversing with people who know the car as opposed to taking it somewhere and have a guy diagnosing a problem he may or may not have real knowledge about. And besides all that, my goal is to avoid having to have someone else do the work for me and end up costing me a ton of money.

I'll admit I can be a bit of a pain in the ass when it comes to asking a lot of questions on the same subject. I'm just trying to avoid miscommunication and confusion. I know that rubs some people here the wrong way, so my apologies for that.

David in OH

Wait... what other threads?
Old 03-30-2017, 08:20 AM   #30
Houlie

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:

David in OH

No apology needed, I'm not offended in the least

How old is the current battery? I'd start with that as others have suggested

2006 GTO - SRM - M6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: