Injector question (Not GTO / LS2 related) - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Fuel System

Old 04-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #1
Logan71

2006 GTO Owner

Injector question (Not GTO / LS2 related)

This is not related to our cars, but since so little posting goes on here, I thought you might entertain a question I'm having trouble with. Mods, Please delete if this is frowned upon or not permitted.

Vehicle: 89 Silverado
Engine: 5.0L / 305 (formerly 5.7L 350)
Fuel pump: Stock
ECM: Stock, still programmed for 5.7
TBI: Stock from 5.7

Issue: After I replaced the engine with a used long block a couple of years ago, reusing all accessories including the TBI, it has never run perfectly. Super reliable, smooth idle but bogs at certain RPMs.

I've slowly done things to try and improve it. New plugs, wires, knock sensors, 02 sensors, EGR, trying variation on the timing, rebuilding the TBI and regulator.

In recent reading, I'm realizing the stock '350' injectors are likely 51lb/hr and the 305 injectors are likely 45lb/hr. My assumption is the ECM still 'thinks' I have a 350, causing too much fuel delivery and perhaps that's my problem.

I've ordered a pair of remanufactured TBI injectors rated @ 45lb/hr for a 1989 305 truck. The parts arrived yesterday.

Before I install them, I wanted some input. I have no logs, no AFR data and no way to gather it, so I'm shooting in the dark somewhat.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #2
cookmeup272

Throw em in and see how it likes it. Check spark plugs. That's what I would do.
2004 GTO LS1 M6 - SBE, PRC 2.5 62cc Heads, PRC .660 springs, MagicStick v3 cam, Melling High Pressure oil pump, Cometic 0.040" headgasket, Trunion Upgrade, TSP 7.450" pushrods, LS7 Lifters, 42lb injectors, underdrive pulley, Mishimoto radiator, Awespeed intake, Kooks longtubes/Catless mids, Borla catback, Monster Stage 3, 15" Race Star's, MT ET Drags
Best run - 12.1 @ 115, 1.8 60' with above setup/275 Nitto 555r's
12.8 @ 108, 1.8 60' with intake/exhaust/555r's
Old 04-20-2017, 11:40 AM   #3
Logan71

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookmeup272...View Post
Throw em in and see how it likes it. Check spark plugs. That's what I would do.

That's my plan, except that a set of new injectors that reek of gasoline may not be refundable if my guess is wrong.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #4
cookmeup272

Well a 305 with 350 injectors and a 350 computer automatically sounds wrong. Can you not just use a computer from a 305 truck with a 305 TBI? I don't see how you couldn't find them in a junkyard.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:29 PM   #5
HMBLGOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookmeup272...View Post
Well a 305 with 350 injectors and a 350 computer automatically sounds wrong. Can you not just use a computer from a 305 truck with a 305 TBI? I don't see how you couldn't find them in a junkyard.

Good idear here but not sure if trucks came with 305 tbis. Might have to look in the camaro/trans am or maybe even better astro van section.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:44 PM   #6
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

those old vehicle ECM's still run on the basic principles the newer ones do.

i'm sure it runs on alpha-n or speed density.

at idle, low throttle, and cruise, it has probably learned the trims for what will make in run halfway decent. at higher rpms or heavy throttle i would imagine it would revert to whatever open-loop power-enrich mode those computers used back then. so, just dump the preprogrammed amount of feul.

i think LTFT principles were similar under WOT back then. adds positive feul, but does not subtract at WOT.

i dunno, i say try the injector swap and see how it does. reset the computer and swap the TBI injectors.

make sure all your sensors are up to par, as well. those older ECM's that don't rely on MAF sensors are very reliant on the TPS, MAP, and ECT sensors to run right.

( '_')o

(._. )

Quote:
The real enemy of truth is not ignorance, doubt, or even disbelief. It is false knowledge.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:38 PM   #7
Logan71

2006 GTO Owner

Cookmeup - Swapping ECM would probably be more expensive. I only paid $46 total for replacement injectors. I'd also be worried about other things like RE ratio and shift points. At least right now, I have the factory ECM paired with the original chassis.

Humble - I was able to pick the engine I swapped in out of a wrecked '90 Silverado with TBI, and they pulled it for me and delivered it. Only after I had it almost ready to drop in, did notice it was stamped as a 305, but I was too far along.

NotHubert - All good points. I've checked the TPS before and have some faith in the rest of the sensors.

>> i dunno, i say try the injector swap and see how it does. reset the computer and swap the TBI injectors.

That's my gameplan tomorrow. Wish me luck. Any idea of the 'relearn' time on something this old?
Old 04-21-2017, 04:47 AM   #8
cookmeup272

My point was to go to a junkyard and get an ecu out of a truck, possibly the one you got the motor out of? I mean how much is a junkyard ecu...?
Old 04-21-2017, 07:49 AM   #9
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

The injectors are different.

5.7 is pn 2172286
5.0 is pn 2172285

So, he'd have to swap them anyway, i would imagine.

The ECM for that year model c1500 should also be the same for each engine.

Not sure there are still places that will make a custom PROM for you, but you may want to go that route. Or find a PROM from a silverado in the yard with the 5.0 engine/same ECM... provided it isn't fried.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:07 AM   #10
Logan71

2006 GTO Owner

Update:

I disconnected the battery cable and swapped the injectors on Friday. After several commutes to work and back, I can safely say its much better. More responsive down low, much better quality 1-2, 2-3 shifts (used to bog right after the shift/rpm drop), and all around a better experience.

I appreciate all the opinions that backed up what I was thinking.

Have a good one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: