Break In Period - - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Tech Lounge

Old 04-20-2017, 07:18 PM   #1
Magnified
It's simple physics

2006 GTO Owner

Break In Period -

What are your thoughts on break in periods?

With the GTO I think I put some 1800 miles on it the first weekend. Mostly on the highway and varying the speed, etc..., but I did do some excursions into the upper RPM ranges and such. To be honest, I never even read the break in information.

Check out the following restrictions. I'm pretty amazed at the 55 mph limitation. General thoughts and experiences?

LR

PS - I did not get it in the cut-and-paste, but they also say no track events and such for the first 1500 miles.

SRT Hellcat Engine Break-In Recommendations

SRT Hellcat Engine Break-In Recommendations: The following tips will be helpful in obtaining
optimum performance and maximum durability for your new SRT Vehicle.
Despite modern technology and World Class manufacturing methods, the moving parts of
the vehicle must still wear in with each other. This wearing in occurs mainly during the first
500 miles (805 km) and continues through the first oil change interval.
It is recommended for the operator to observe the following driving behaviors during the
new vehicle break-in period:

0 to 100 miles (0 to 161 km):
•Do not allow the engine to operate at idle for an extended period of time.
•Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than halfway to avoid rapid acceleration.
•Avoid aggressive braking.
•Drive with the engine speed less than 3,500 RPM.
•Maintain vehicle speed below 55 mph (88 km/h) and observe local speed limits.

100 to 300 miles (161 to 483 km):
•Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than halfway to avoid rapid
acceleration in lower gears (1st to 3rd gears).
•Avoid aggressive braking.
•Drive with the engine speed less than 5,000 RPM.
•Maintain vehicle speed below 70 mph (112 km/h) and observe local speed limits.

300 to 500 miles (483 to 805 km):
•Exercise the full engine rpm range, shifting manually (paddles or gear shift) at higher
rpms when possible.
•Do not perform sustained operation with the accelerator pedal at wide open throttle.
•Maintain vehicle speed below 85 mph (136 km/h) and observe local speed limits.
2006 PBM (now dirt brown) A4, Magnacharger, Kooks LT, high flow cats, Magnaflow x-pipe, stock pipes into race glass packs, drag bags, subframe connectors/jacking rails, 18x8.5/40 offset Bayern Mesh chrome up front, 18X9.5/45 in the rear, Michelin Pilot Sport PSII, fender roll, DIY catch can, DIY factory amp mod, tuned by Chuck, black badges.

Street configuration consistent #s ONCE UPON A TIME - 12.13 / 117.5 / 1.90 60 foot. 3.75 second 0-60. Lots of wheel spin.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2017, 09:13 PM   #2
Mike05TurboGto

You mean to tell me you are posting a Fatcat thing on a GTO forum.

Current Setup:
Sbe LS2, 317s, LJMS Turbo cam, meth, s480 96/1.25

17psi: 856HP/876TQ

Best 1/4 Mile time:

10.59@139
That was on 735/739 from last turbo
Old 04-20-2017, 09:33 PM   #3
Assplay?
U can touch it if you want to

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

FWIW,

When I put a crate 7.3l in my truck, I was following some break in info from International. Some friends and coworkers all told me, essentially, "fooey, just drive it". They were not ASE mechanics but they've pulled their fair share of diesels.

I put another 30k on that motor with no adverse effects.

HOWEVER! This was my F450 not my new Hellcat. They recommended the interval for some reason, what do ya got to lose?

Old 04-21-2017, 12:42 AM   #4
hadagto

2004 GTO Owner

With my first GTO in the spring of 2004 with less than 2000 miles on the clock I was in my first street race against an Fbody Camaro. To be honest I made the mistake of going to the local hang out on the weekend with no intentions of racing. Long story short...I ended up racing anyway and got smoked. I heated up the stock tires pretty good and went no where.

With less than 9000 miles on it I had heads and cam. With less than 20,000 miles on it I had a 408.

Plenty of cars been tuned on the dyno with very little break in.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:30 AM   #5
MuhThugga
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham

2004 GTO Owner

Meh. My brand new 404 was wrung out to 7000 RPMs on the dyno for tuning. With hydraulic roller, fuel injected engines, the only things to break in are the piston rings, which are seated by putting a load on the engine.

However, if the engine breaks, then it is on me to fix. Just do some easy driving for the first 500 miles? Simple enough to follow to avoid any potential warranty headaches in the future.

PROJECT SILVERBACK IS COMPLETE!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVDCGTO...View Post
Squeezing another 50 rwhp out of one of those setups would be like trying to squeeze the sarcasm out of MuhThugga. . . . . . . . not gonna happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87LC2...View Post
A Prius is a vehicular dunce cap.

Quote:
Drag racing is for people who love hard work and hate money.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:31 AM   #6
Silvah Goat
600 RWHP CLUB

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

There is actually a lot of science that has come into this now that warranty coverage is longer and power levels are a lot higher. The new Acura NSX comes with the break in already done on an engine dyno so you can safely go beat it on Mile 1. Excessive cylinder pressures early can cause the rings to wear at the incorrect angle and not seat properly.

I've had a few high hp motors that I have built over the years that have instantly gotten beat with out any issues at all. My engine machinist actually prefers to beat on it from mile 1 for its break in. I think that opinion comes from years of building race motors. There is no way I'm putting 100k on a motor without taking it back apart. OEM and Gearheads mostly live in different worlds.
17 Acadia Limited 3.6 - Dealer sticker delete mod
Old 04-22-2017, 06:45 PM   #7
Magnified
It's simple physics

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike05TurboGto...View Post
You mean to tell me you are posting a Fatcat thing on a GTO forum.

You bet. Who cares what kind of car it is? Known many of these guys on here for more than a decade and they're some of the most experienced engine men around. I take knowledge and experience where I can find it. Also, just between us, I think a lot of the Hellcat crowd don't wrench on their own cars. Not dumping on them; only saying I think GTOs appeal to a more hands on group for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuhThugga...View Post
Meh. My brand new 404 was wrung out to 7000 RPMs on the dyno for tuning. With hydraulic roller, fuel injected engines, the only things to break in are the piston rings, which are seated by putting a load on the engine.

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvah Goat...View Post
There is actually a lot of science that has come into this now that warranty coverage is longer and power levels are a lot higher. The new Acura NSX comes with the break in already done on an engine dyno so you can safely go beat it on Mile 1. Excessive cylinder pressures early can cause the rings to wear at the incorrect angle and not seat properly.

I've had a few high hp motors that I have built over the years that have instantly gotten beat with out any issues at all. My engine machinist actually prefers to beat on it from mile 1 for its break in. I think that opinion comes from years of building race motors. There is no way I'm putting 100k on a motor without taking it back apart. OEM and Gearheads mostly live in different worlds.

Agreed here too. I'm just not comfortable enough with most factory motors and their build quality to flog it mercilessly (note the mercilessly) right out of the gate.

Think I'll pick it up off the showroom floor and do a burnout through the doors across the lot and onto the access road.

LR
Old 04-22-2017, 06:52 PM   #8
socal gto

2006 GTO Owner

I just had a 402 built and the builder pretty much said beat on it from the get go.
1/8: 1.594 94.16 7.254
1/4: 1.656 116.68 11.622
totalled 12/6/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: