Hotchkis Sways - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Suspension/Steering/Brakes

Old 01-01-2017, 04:34 AM   #1
Rickybaht

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Hotchkis Sways

I have been running the Hotchkis sway bars at the stiffest setting for years. Its great fun when ripping around the corners but it's obviously a harsh ride in all other areas. The question is will it make that much of a difference if I make the adjustment to the least stiffest setting? For the GTO owners with this setup, have you experimented with the different settings? If so, was it that noticeable between them? Thanks!

2006 QSM M6
Lovells/Hotchkis full suspension 20mm drop
Kooks 1 3/4 Headers with cats
Tuned by LG Motorsports
Svede OTRCAI
JHP Billet Shifter
18" Falken RT-6
1 0f 123 produced
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2017, 05:19 AM   #2
sandu002

2006 GTO Owner

If you are just driving on the street, the middle setting will do you just fine. You will notice a difference in the corners, but it won't be that much.
Kaaz diff, Harrop cover, Kircher spoiler
112HH Maggie, w 60's
ECS Tensioner
2.6" Pulley - Pulley Boys
Formato ported TB, LPE CAI
Monster stage 3 clutch
Magnaflow exhaust w h/f cats & midpipe
Billett Pro
245/40/18 (F&R)
Banshee gauge pod
1/4 = 11.82 @121 mph
518 rwhp 533 rwtq @ 9 psi
EFI tune - RPR Automotive
DBA T3's, Hawk HP+ (st) DTC60 (trk)
Old 01-01-2017, 05:19 AM   #3
Silvah Goat
600 RWHP CLUB

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I have them on the second notch and have no complaints. I want to say I read a magazine article that said the second setting was the sweet spot.
17 Acadia Limited 3.6 - Dealer sticker delete mod
Old 01-01-2017, 05:46 AM   #4
Blue Dream

Premium Member

On my G35 the differences between the settings was dramatic. These were the single best bang for the buck mod I made on her out of over $10K spent. On that note I have started to get the sway itch for the Goat even though I made a commitment to myself to keep the Goat stock. Since I do almost all of the work done to my cars do I really have to drop the front and rear clip to install new ones? The G was an hour job total front and rear and I was having a discussion with a mechanic friend of mine and he said he looked into it and his shop would charge 8-9 hours of labor. Seems a bit much to me but I'll look arund here some more for more info.

OP sorry for the minor thread jack.........

1 of 101 SRM, 6mt, 17" wheels, black interior 06 GTO's
Old 01-01-2017, 06:37 AM   #5
Rich-Tripower
GR-RRR!

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

You do have to drop the front subframe to change the front. The rear is pretty easy. If you have large fingers you might need to loosen the rear subframe to have clearance to manipulate the bolts. I was able to change the rear without messing with the subframe. Big trick in the back is to get longer bolts for the bar mounting bracket so they are easier to get started.

2015 Honda Accord EX-L V6 HFP
Rich's 1965 Malibu SS L79 Restoration Page
Rich's 1965 Chevelle Two-Door Wagon Project Progress Page
Bob's 1964 GTO Project Page
Rich's Brazen Orange 2006 Pontiac GTO
Rich C.
"I would rather appreciate what I cannot have than have what I cannot appreciate."
Old 01-01-2017, 07:50 AM   #6
Nogomofo
Hot Rod A.D.D!

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-Tripower...View Post
You do have to drop the front subframe to change the front. The rear is pretty easy. If you have large fingers you might need to loosen the rear subframe to have clearance to manipulate the bolts. I was able to change the rear without messing with the subframe. Big trick in the back is to get longer bolts for the bar mounting bracket so they are easier to get started.

He already has the bars installed. I disconnected and reconnected my front bar 10+ times last race season and changed the rear settings a couple of times without messing with anything but the endlinks
Old 01-01-2017, 08:06 AM   #7
Nogomofo
Hot Rod A.D.D!

2005 GTO Owner

For autocross I had the front on 2 and the rear on 4 to help it rotate . I had all stock springs with aftermarket rear shocks on average front tires and sticky 16" drag radials out back. Worked pretty good!
Old 01-01-2017, 09:38 AM   #8
SkiPopeye36
FPFQ Herder

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogomofo...View Post
He already has the bars installed. I disconnected and reconnected my front bar 10+ times last race season and changed the rear settings a couple of times without messing with anything but the endlinks

He was replying to Blue Dream.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:01 AM   #9
Nogomofo
Hot Rod A.D.D!

2005 GTO Owner

My bad....I read "on my G35" and didn't bother reading the rest.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:03 PM   #10
DaBBG

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
For autocross I had the front on 2 and the rear on 4 to help it rotate . I had all stock springs with aftermarket rear shocks on average front tires and sticky 16" drag radials out back. Worked pretty good!

^ This
When I first started Autoxing the car I had multiple people tell me to go on the stiffest setting to reduce the body roll, none of which owned or ever drive a V8 that weighed as much. After many months of frustration with not getting the car to turn, I realized ( by realize I mean I did a lot of research and testing) that the car will turn hella better with the front loose, mine is on the second, and the rear stiff, mine is full stiffness. I also have BC coilovers.

Last edited by DaBBG; 01-01-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:30 PM   #11
Rich-Tripower
GR-RRR!

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiPopeye36...View Post
He was replying to Blue Dream.

Quote:
My bad....I read "on my G35" and didn't bother reading the rest.

Yeah, I should have quoted him to make it more clear.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:45 AM   #12
GTO44
2006GTO M6 dd-drag-roadcourse

2006 GTO Owner

Just to chime in, I run my front sway on the middle hole and the rear on the 3rd stiffest setting of 4.

Having the front sway too stiff can cause understeer and plow. If the goal is less body roll then firm up the rebound on the front shocks (if you can).

And with the 3 of 4 setting on the back I get plenty of rotation without too much oversteer.

Of course the settings can change depending on track or autoX but these settings work great for me on the street. As nogomofo said for autocross the stiffest setting on the rear would probably work better for rotating the car around the tight turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dream...View Post
On my G35 the differences between the settings was dramatic. These were the single best bang for the buck mod I made on her out of over $10K spent. On that note I have started to get the sway itch for the Goat even though I made a commitment to myself to keep the Goat stock. Since I do almost all of the work done to my cars do I really have to drop the front and rear clip to install new ones? The G was an hour job total front and rear and I was having a discussion with a mechanic friend of mine and he said he looked into it and his shop would charge 8-9 hours of labor. Seems a bit much to me but I'll look arund here some more for more info.

OP sorry for the minor thread jack.........

The sways made a huge difference in handling performance on the goat as well. And yes you'll have to drop the front subframe. It's not hard, just make sure to pick up a set of Subframe bolts. The stockers are TTY one time use.

Also for the rear sway... Its a pretty simple install ,don't have to mess with the subframe at all. The hardest part is the clearance between the body and cradle. As mentioned you can use longer bolts to help get the bolts started when the new sway is in. OR you can do this mod that helped me tremendously... Notch your brackets:

Use a drill and widen the hole toward the inside. This will allow you to start the first couple of threads on the bolt with your fingers. No new bolts and no messing with the rear cradle.

Vararam only, stock tune
Monster Level 2, Tick MC, RS T.Mount, Revshit insert, Hinson M.Mounts
Lovell 340/370mm springs, Koni Sports shocks/struts
Lovell Bushings: Strut Mounts & Bearings, ajust. Radius rod, rear subframe, Diff insert, rear endlinks
Hotchkis Adjust. Sways, Nobush Endlinks
DBA T3 Clubspec slotted, hawk HP+, Russle SS, Motul 600
Rebuilt T56, blocker ring kit, Tick billet 3/4 keys & springs
BMR Dragbags, Catchcan, GTOG8TA 2-piece DS

365/368 (std)
12.81@110.6 2.03 60'
Old 01-11-2017, 12:57 PM   #13
Napalm
Have Bar, Will Travel

Other Holden/HSV

Send a message via Yahoo to Napalm
being one of the few people that broke a rear Hotchkis bar. I figured I'd pop in. I don't venture into the tech forums enough on here.

So for years I ran Gwendolyn with front on middle hole - rear on 2nd hole from the front. ANd I ran it that way for a long time on the street. Loved it. I tried all the options though.

from full soft/full soft all the way to full hard/full hard. This won't be popular but here's the thing. Full Hard/full hard is too much for city streets - or more specifically unless running DOT R tires on decent smooth pavement - it's too stiff for complaince in the curves.

ON a track - a good track it was amazing stick. ON the road though any bump mid curve would upset the grip.

My 2 favorite settings on the street was Mid point front/and 3rd hole back - or mid hole front, and 2nd hole back.

This does depends a bit on the rest of your setup though. I had a diff insert mod - and the rear subframe inserts so the rear would plant hard up in a corner if I loaded it up. Love that - the sways kept the pressure even. ON a city street though - I found it needed some compliance back there.

On the front I had both Radius rod bushes (front and rear) but use rubber inner LCA bushes (they do work better) and i ran Lovells AUS height settings so I was slightly lower in the front.

I also ran stock tires front and rear. OH and of course big brakes.

TLDR - car needs some compliance in the back or it can HOP bumps mid turn - so don't use full stiff in the rear unless on a good prepared track. Full stiff up front is really useful if you have the grip. Nothing wrong with full soft on front and rear as that is still stiffer than stock.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:42 PM   #14
MoonShiner
Orphan Car Owner

2006 GTO Owner

Here is good article on the subject.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hppp-...kis-sway-bars/

Pedders Bits:
Struts | Springs | Shocks | Various bushes Holden Stuff: Bluetooth | Side repeaters | Rear insert | VZ wheels | Guage pod | Commodore window/line-lock switch Other Stuff: Kooks SS w/cats | Lingenfelter CAI | Magnaflow catback | dba rotors | Harrop Cover |GF Stubs and Shafts | GMM Ripshifter with Hurst handle | Williams Tune

RWHP: 371.66 RWTQ: 369.92 PB 1/4 Mile: 12.312 @ 111.96
Old 01-11-2017, 03:39 PM   #15
Rickybaht

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Thanks Naplam!

I pretty much have the exact same set up as you but have 20mm lower all around. Now that the beast is up on jacks for the winter I think I will make some adjustments to soften it up a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: