LS1GTO Forums banner

DIY 04-06 GTO Half Shaft Up-grade Kit

66K views 262 replies 74 participants last post by  Squag27 
#1 · (Edited)
05-06 GTO Half Shaft up-grade kit.

04 half shafts will not work (read at bottom)

Everything you need in a DIY kit to up-grade your own half shafts to the 930 cv's with chromoly cages.

The Porsche 930 CV joints are thicker than the stock CV joints, the thicker 930 cv joints help distribute the load better.
The stock cages are the weak links, the cages in our 930 cv joints are made from 4130 chromoly and are much stronger than the stock ones.
Just so happens that the factory CV joints are very similar to the 930 CV joints and are interchangeable on your half shaft axles.

All you need to do is take off the stock cv joints and boots from your stock half shafts and install our CV joints and boots right onto your stock axles.
Don’t worry, it will all fit with out any problems.
It's a fairly easy job and usually takes a good part of an afternoon.
I've even made a couple of video's so you can see what your getting into.
Assembly video Part 1

Assembly video Part 2

[/URL]

Here is what you get:

• 4 Porsche 930 cv joints w/chromoly cages
  • 4 Porsche 930 Boots
  • New Boot clamps
  • 4 Porsche 930 Boot flanges
  • 4 Porsche 930 cv back covers
  • 4 New axle retaining clips
  • 1 Bolt set, qty of 24 bolts (12.9 Grade, Black Oxide)
  • CV grease for all 4 cv joints

All this for $365.
If you would like to purchase the up-grade kit, just go to our web site at www.shop.gforce1320.com or you can just click on the photo.

If you don't want to mess with putting the up-grade kit on your self, you can ship us your stock half shafts and we'll do it for you for $465. plus a little return shipping.
Sometimes we have half shafts already up-graded that we can swap out for you. You would have to pay a $150. deposit that you would get back when we get your half shaft cores.

04 Half shafts will not work.
The 04 Half shafts look the same but will not work.
The 04 axles have a smaller outer splined end and a really odd ball cv joint with smaller internals that the inner cv joint. The 04 shafts will have a part # AB2704 92067184
The 04 outer shaft dia is right around 1.1" and the 05-06 dia is 1.25"
The 05-06 half shafts will interchange with the 04's, they have the same bolt pattern and are the same length. They bolt right in.

Thanks
Chris @ Gforce
GFORCE1320@gmail.com

See less See more
2 1
#2 ·
First, let me say I appreciate you trying to help this community. But I really have to ask, WTF is your business model? You just gave out the required parts for a DIY kit, and as such obviously can't charge labor, so this just peaks my curiosity. Do you really get that much of a discount on Porsche parts, or is this going to be a charitable write-off on your next tax return?:secret:

#14 ·
So you think I should have kept it a secret that the 930 cv's will interchange with the GTO axles? It would of only been a matter of time before someone else figured it out.
Stuff for these GTO's are just crazy priced.
Sure, I could jack up the prices on everything and sell the kits for more but I want to keep the prices down so everyone can afford to do this mod.
And don't worry, we're making enough to make it worth while and GTO parts isn't our only sourse of income.
We're more of a parts retail / Research and Developement type of business and really have no intention of getting into the labor side of tearing apart greasy half shafts for people.

Plus I told some guys awhile back that I would take a GTO half shaft, disect it and come up with an off the shelf kit to do this and I did. Just keeping my word :)

When we get finished with the 9in IRS project I'll do the same and offer it as a kit.

Thanks
Chris

#19 ·
You are correct. The only thing that this kit does not replace is the axle shaft itself.

And just to give you guys a heads up, you sometimes need a gear puller to get the old cv's off your axles. Some pop right off and some you can't get to budge without a gear puller.
Just a cheap 2 jaw puller works fine.

#20 ·
Ok Chris--when are going to come over and install mine. You see with my new shop I just thought your might want to come over and work in it and since your ride is way faster than mine- we just as well work on mine. Royce

#22 ·
If you have to pay someone to do the labor why not replace the whole axle shaft assembly?

#25 ·
There is someone who already makes An 8.8 conversion from a 90-97 T bird/Cougar or a Mustang Cobra.

#26 ·
Ok, you guys asked for it so here it is.

Everything you need in a DIY kit to up-grade your own half shafts to the 930 cv's with chromoly cages.

The Porsche 930 CV joints are larger than the stock CV joints. The stock cages are the weak links.
Just so happens that the factory CV joints are very similar to the 930 CV joints and are interchangeable on your half shaft axles.
Our 930 cv joints come with chromoly cages and are far stronger than the stockers.
All you need to do is totally disassemble your stock half shafts and install our CV joints and boots right onto your stock axles.
Don’t worry, they will fit with out any problems.
It's a fairly easy job and usually takes a good part of an afternoon.

Here is what you get:

• 4 Porsche 930 cv joints w/chromoly cages
  • 4 Porsche 930 Boots
  • New Boot clamps
  • 4 Porsche 930 Boot flanges
  • 4 Porsche 930 cv back covers
  • 4 New axle retaining clips
  • 1 Bolt set, qty of 24 bolts (12.9 Grade, Black Oxide)
  • 2 tubes of Loctite
  • CV grease

All this for $365. shipped to your door (Continental US Only)

Just let me know if you want the kit and I will PM you a direct PayPal link to the item.

Thanks
Chris @ Gforce
GFORCE1320@gmail.com
Damn nice work Chris. I wish I still had my BMR stubs and a set of stock CV's. I just sold the BMR stubs and 800hp CV's I had cause I got a deal ($1200) on a new 1000hp hub to stub setup.

With these, guys can just invest in a set of BMR axle stubs and a few of your rebuild kits and they are good to go. If they blow a CV at the track, they can rebuild it right there. Can't do that with the hub to stub.

#27 ·
I'll be happy to do a writeup for the KB when I get them.
anyone else want to do it thats cool too.

If there is a difference in the 04's, 05's and 06's i'm sure that will present itself, however chris states its not apparent.

#36 ·
I am interested in your kit. You presented a good write up with what appears to be a quality upgrade for a good price. Keep up the good work!

But as you know, the next weak link in the chain are the axle stubs which the members have found to begin candy caning at around 450 WHP. This is especially true for M6 cars. In an earlier thread, I thought you mentioned that you were going to cryovac some stubs and test them out. Did you do so, and if so, what are the results?

#39 ·
Love the work you are doing! Any updates on the 9"?

#40 ·
It's great to see affordable items that appear to be high quality for our cars. I am not pushing out enough power right now to need these, but it's good to see for those that do.

#41 ·
Nothing new really on the 9in IRS, I'm waiting until after this weekend to really tear into it.
I want to make some test passes on the stock cryo treated axle stubs and a set of our half shafts. After that the rear will be totaly tore apart and the fab work on the 9in will start.

#46 ·
very interested in cryo stubs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.