LS1GTO Forums banner

Head/Cam Install

2K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  CTP_YELLOWJACKET 
#1 ·
Hey Fellas, I am wondering if anybody in the Fort Worth/Burleson area would be able to help me install a cam and heads. I've never done a cam install so I'd have no idea how to go about it. I was contemplating taking it to a shop, but I can save about $500 by doing it myself. If anybody is down that would be fantastic.

#2 ·
^^ Just for reference, there is an awesome write up around here and one on ls1tech. It is very straight forward and not very difficult. Just time consuming. Go slow and read the write up. It will be a great learning experience and save you a lot of money :)

#3 ·
^^ i spend 20 mins earlier today scouring here and tech for those cam install threads. couldnt find em. Too many results pop up in searches with the words "how to install camshaft" :/ And it's not in our KB or tech's stickied list of How-Tos

Anyone wanna save myself and the OP some trouble?

#7 ·
Thanks for all the literature fellas. I'm going to be doing this on a saturday here in a month or so, so i'll have a bunch of time to read up on this and get another pair of hands to help me.

By the way, does anybody know of a good cam kit that doesn't require cutting the pistons or anything of that nature? I want a nice aggressive cam but dont want to have to cut pistons or any of that nature.

#13 ·
^ read dickieirish thread on his new build. It seems like a certain shop in Texas dosent check ptv! If I was you op I would go to snl

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#12 ·
I would refer you to SNL also, I have seen many cars that they have done cam installs for. Good guys to work with too.

#14 · (Edited)
^ read dickieirish thread on his new build. It seems like a certain shop in Texas dosent check ptv! If I was you op I would go to snl

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
As a matter of fact, I'd sit tight and wait for a Cam Day... They offer cam install and tune packages on those days.

#15 ·
I will take it to snl to get it tuned, they did all my exhaust work, but I can save $500 just by installing everything myself and I'll tow it to snl for the tune. The money I would save on the install would pay for the tune

#16 ·
Don't have custom exhaust work done..it's cheaper to buy a kit.

#18 ·
I bought ARH 1 7/8th's LT's and the ARH 3" catted x-pipe because I had the intentions of building the rest of the exhaust myself, I'm the lead welder at a metal fab shop. When I took it to get the headers installed they basically cut the pipes right after the corsa x-pipe and welded them onto my ARH x-pipe. Once I get the rest of my piping in I'm going to cut it off and finish it off with 3" 304SS and reduce the very ends to 2.5" so the corsa mufflers will still go on.

#25 ·
what cam and heads are you looking at? how long are you planning on driving it untuned?

if it's your dd and you're planning to this on a weekend then driving it around before you get tuned, you're asking for trouble unless you can have a tuner available to, at best, do a quasi street tune to at least make it safe and run ok.

in the end it will come down to how radical your choices are.

#26 ·
I'm undecided on the heads/cam I'm not sure what the best package is for me. I'd more than likely work on it as soon as i get off work on a friday so I can be done saturday morning to go get it tuned. I'm open to suggestions as to what would be the best package for me to get. I plan on procharging next year if that helps.

#31 ·
-shrug- it's your money brah. Just saying..every car is different. Not saying it can't take the boost, just saying they are said to not last long by people that have been building engines longer than I've had a license.

#32 ·
There's nothing inherently wrong with the block for low boost though apart from thinner cylinder walls. A 4-8psi setup shouldn't affect anything. I agree with you on boosted setups higher than that, but 427" on 8psi is a lot of airflow as it is, lol.

or is there something else I'm not aware of?

#34 ·
A boosted LS7 :drool:

#36 ·
Ok so I finally made my mind up on what I'm going to do. I'm going to start building my current stock motor for a procharger coming within the next couple of months.

#37 ·
Just picked up a brand new and FREE EnglandGreen Whiplash 1 cam from a good friend of mine. About to order lifters and springs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.