LS1GTO Forums banner

Drift Setup Discussion for our Goat's

15K views 43 replies 13 participants last post by  MattGTO 
#1 ·
Been searching for some drift setups but couldn't find a specific discussion on it. I recently purchased a '05 and am looking to start modding for drifting. Was wondering what advise or setups are out there targeted towards drifting. Suspension and drivetrain setups. My rear differential is blown and I'm going to have to rebuild was wondering what gear ratios are being used as well as limited slips and axle stubs.... etc... Looking for general discussion on what drifters have experienced. Looking forward to the discussion!

#28 ·
Oh, and I'm going to be running the manual valve, most of us running the accusump are running manual but the electric valve is a great idea if you're having trouble finding places to mount the sump and/or valve

#31 ·
I have not seen something like that before.. I would like to see a tall ball joint for our vehicle, that would correct the roll center on lowered vehicles, and you could build some tie rods with bump steer adjustment. I know that would not help with the angle issue.

#33 ·
So what kind of issues have you guys seen with drifting on the stock suspension? Obviously there is a lot of roll since the suspension is so soft and the driveline is weak so you probably can't do a lot of clutch kicking.. Do your front tires rub the fender or the tie rod at full lock? Are there any other issues that should be addressed before drifting a stock GTO.

#34 ·
i did three events with a bone stock GTO. clutch kicks and everything.

Our LSD are a MAJOR issue. It locks when it wants to, without ebraking its impossible to get angle consistently. Our ebrakes suck, cant even lock the wheels.

Front tires were fine, a little rub against the tie rods. No contact with the fenders that i saw.

Im sure you can get over the body roll once you get use to the car.

#35 ·
in my old GTO the diff locked great for like two events but burnt up very quickly, i had the lovell's eliminator suspension on it and i feel like it performed pretty solid honestly i'll post some video....

This is from 2009

#36 ·
oh yeha and the factory ebrake sucks! im going to do a writeup on my build thread on doing a pass through 3/4 master hydraulic handbrake with the factory ABS. theres not a ton of support for these cars in this motorsport but the few of us can help it get better!

#37 ·
So what do you guys do to remedy the diff issue? Did you just weld yours or buy an aftermarket one? I've looked at them a little and from what I can tell the only options are the kaaz 2 way or the Detroit truetrac. The truetrac is much cheaper but I've read mixed things on the helical lsd with drifting.

#38 ·
there's also the GForce Spool which is probably solid too but im gonna weld mine.

#40 ·
lmao i didnt realize how big it was until it took the spot in my garage where the 240 was. had to rearrange the whole damn garage!

#42 ·
An S13 could literally fit inside of a GTO, the GTO is 12 inches longer, 6 inches wider and 5 inches taller! wikipedia breh's haha

#44 ·
yeah man the first car i ever slid was my 04 bbm m6 and it felt amazing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.