LS1GTO Forums banner

GTO build V3.0

40K views 428 replies 60 participants last post by  Nmbr1GMfan 
#1 ·
I'm seriously going to try getting this dusty POS bolted back together this time. I'm not really the "build thread" type but I figure picture updates may keep me motivated, here goes. When the car was pulled apart a couple years ago, it was for a broken trans., grinding in 3rd. I just wanted to fix the trans and keep riding around, my wife on the other hand said do the engine while it was down. Well as usual I get stuff torn apart and life gets in the way. I spend most of my time working and Jr drag racing with my youngest daughter, she decided to dedicate herself to an NHRA national championship so ALL of our time was caught up in that for the past year or so. My goal for the last couple years has been daily driver Drag Week, so in 2014 I'm trying for Drag Week.
Here is the engine removal 2 years ago.

Here it is when I pulled it out of storage a couple of weeks ago.

I have been purchasing parts, bits, and pieces, some a year ago and some recently. I'll post them up for all to critique as we go.

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
That is sex.. Good luck getting it all back together..

#5 ·
Bought some stainless hardware from Holeshot and coated my wheels black. Not running ET Radials this time around, going with Bias ET Streets.

Attachments

#6 ·
Looking good!! Thanks for all the advice you've Fairborn me. I'm officially subscribed to this thread.

#10 ·
You can't believe the internal combustion hell I put my wife through.:bomb:
I will update for a few evenings in a row as to what parts I have and what I have coming, as well as goals.

#13 · (Edited)
Geez you had a motor like that and the wife said to redo it?!?

1. Does your wife have a single sister or relative that is just like her?

2. Do you mind adopting me as a son? My GTO needs some work too :D

In all seriousness congrats on starting up again and keep at it this time :D. Wheels look great too

The IBM Prez.

#15 ·
Geez you had a motor like that and the wife said to redo it?!?

1. Does your wife have a single sister or relative that is just like her?

2. Do you mind adopting me as a son? My GTO needs some work too :D

In all seriousness congrats on starting up again and keel at it this time :D. Wheels look great too

The IBM Prez.
1) No relatives so sorry on that. I believe I must be a lucky sob to find one that puts up with my drag car BS.
2) My kids said there's not enough $$$$ for another so your luck isn't holding up today.

#14 ·
Found it ! Nice thread and nice ride !

#20 ·
Here are a few pics of what makes me all warm and fuzzy when the revs increase. First we have my original T-56 that was given some love from Liberty's Gears, original 2.97 gearset, cryoed and REM polished, viper mainshaft, 300m billet input, faceplated, in a TR6060 case with a gearset sprayer.

Next is a not so interesting but a vital piece, the RXT.

Superfly-wheel

Lastly...a few hydraulic bits.

Attachments

#26 ·
This is what my next year of mods is going to be after I finish my rear end.

#24 ·
I also drove an 800 rwhp cobra with the RST and it held fine. In all reality most of the clutch issues you hear of are install related issues anyhow.

#25 ·
My RXT is doing great in my C6. Took a little getting used to on how it releases compared to the stock LS7 clutch, but now I'm okay with it.

#30 ·
Unfortunately I found out today that Auto Meter has discontinued my gauge line (nexus), seems as if I can get what I need from fleabay. I'll work on that tomorrow to see what I need and get it bought before I can't get the stuff. I have fuel pressure wideband and boost in now, I have oil press and water temp to install in the cluster bezel pod. I will ebay oil temp and trans oil temp.

Attachments

#31 ·
Tank is out for cleaning, fuel filters to be inspected and pump is getting sent back to Aeromotive for a checkup/re-build.

Attachments

#32 ·
forums should have "Like" buttons, as lots of your posts make me smile. can't wait to see how this come together the 9" should be a good start =D.

take lots of pictures if you get it back on the lift. i'm very interested in the packaging of the APS kit. is it dual GT28Rs? on a T25 frame?

#33 ·
Mitsubishi 20g turbos, basically junk lol. my plan was to do a turbo upgrade just for some sort of reliability (if that's possible with a turbo car) but I went ahead and opted for the rear upgrade instead. I will update the thread as we progress although it will slow a bit with Christmas on the horizon.

#35 ·
I see you are running the a1000, how do you have it set up? Sumped stock tank?

#36 ·
You can see the pic in post 31 it's nothing more than a strategically placed -10 an fitting welded in the bottom/rear of the tank. The pump will start to groan a little under an 1/8 tank. I don't usually run the tank low just because the lower the fuel content the hotter the pump will run and the overheating is what kills these pumps. The pump was fine when I parked the car but sitting for 2 years did it no good I'm sure.

#38 ·
Uh oh, slight setback. Got a call from my engine guy and my boat engine is almost done :fap: May have to work on that for the next couple weekends.

Attachments

#42 ·
Lol, work hard and play hard is how it goes ! I can't wait to get back stateside to get my own build up and going.

#43 ·
Exactly, work hard play hard. I spend 8-9 months out of the year slumped over a Jr Dragster (my most favorite thing to do) and putting in mega hours at work. the other 3-4 months is my time for crazy projects, which right now stands at 2 cars and a boat. I'm gonna need more time!

#44 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.