LS1GTO Forums banner

1970 Jeep Gladiator, 5.3/4l650 TT build

11K views 52 replies 20 participants last post by  VT05ls2goat 
#1 ·
Well... here we go. Taking out the heads/cam 355sbc and replacing it with a 5.3 out of a 106k mile '01 Silverado. It's an iron block, aluminum heads (862 casting) motor with a drive by cable throttle body. Planning on stock bottom end, TU1 or TU2 cam, new head gaskets, arp head studs, and a pair of turbos. I have a 4l65e out of hummer that i'll use instead of the 4l60e that originally came behind the motor. I'm planning on 700+hp in a 4wd truck so I figured the 4l65 will be more up to the task.

I bought a cheap harbor freight engine stand and started stripping down the motor. This wiring harness is a disaster... I need to cut out a lot of things that I don't need anymore like the egr, rear 02's, ect as well as extend a bunch of it to make the install clean. Coil packs will be relocated to the fire wall with long plug wires neatly loomed.

Anyway, enough babbling from me. I'll keep this thread updated as I go along. Here's the truck that's getting the swap.

And here's the beautiful motor that's coming out. It's kind of a shame, but i'm power hungry. So bring on the twin turbo 5.3.

See less See more
#4 ·
Do WANT :)

#5 ·
Thanks guys :)

The truck should do somewhere in the 132-134mph range before overdrive, assuming I don't wind this motor past 6500rpm. I dont think ill ever go faster than that... I had it to 128 on the old motor. It stops nice and strait, but not super quick. It does have big chevy disc brakes on the dana 44's. That should be plenty for the strip. I always had issues with the 700r4 shifting into 3rd wot with the 355, so I never made a clean quarter pass. I have a whole stack of 8.3 and 8.4 second 1/8 mile slips though. The goal with the new motor and trans is to get into the high 11's on pump gas looking just like it looks in that picture. I think it's a pretty modest goal.

#8 ·
Block is a 1968 out of a corvette. It's .030" over with forged pistons and rods. Heads are fuelies with the 2.02 valves, edelbrock rpm nitrous cam, edelbrock high rise intake, demon 650 with vaccum secondaries, msd ignition, hooker long tubes. Being a full roller with that big of a cam, it makes good power to 7000-7100rpm. Id estimate it between 450-475. Definitly a stout sbc on pump gas, but I've become addicted to turbos and lsx, so a junk yard build it is.

On a side note, I got an ls6 intake manifold and arp rod bolts today. I'm going to finish cleaning up the motor this week/weekend and finish stripping it down.

#10 ·
2wd, but 4wd this go around. I plan on sizing the turbos a little bigger so the boost doesn't come in too hard. I'll probably use a 3200-3600 stall and no 2 step or trans brake. Just leave off the foot brake.

I honestly can't remember what transfer case is in it, but the one that's in it is staying

#15 ·
I may be picking up a Borg Warner S380 tomorrow and go the single route. It's a T4 housing 1.25ap, 83mm turbine. This should flow plenty to make 700hp.

Thoughts? Is a T6 housing really necessary or is the T4 big enough for my horsepower goal without choking?

Cam is going to be a Speed Inc TU1.
225/225 .581/.581 113lsa

#22 ·
I think it will work since you won't be spinning it that high. You planning on doing ARP rod bolts?

#16 ·
Just a few little updates.

Bought a Millermatic 211 Mig welder. Pretty awesome little machine, if I must say so myself. So I got a piece of steel bent up and made a frame out of box tubing. Welded it all together to build my welding station. Got a nice chop saw, new grinder, and big vice to mount to the bench. I'll probably make some sort of slide out tray for the bench grinder/wire wheel.

Here's candidate for torture. 2001 5.3 with 106k miles. Picked it out of the truck and put in on a cheap harbor freight engine stand. I opted for the heavier duty one. Best 60 bucks ever spent haha

Here's the motor a little cleaned up. Damn thing was filthy. I still have a lot of cleaning and painting to go. I picked up an ls6 intake manifold, Katech rod bolts, and an ls2 timing set. Still need to get ls9 gaskets, arp head studs, and the cam package.

Then I practiced welding some exhaust tubing one tack at a time. This was my first try. I don't think it came out too bad considering I had never welded exhaust before, mostly just steel plate. I played with some settings on the welder and they've gotten neater, but I don't have any pictures taken.

#18 ·
Sweetness! I'm thinking about a 5.3 swap myself. I would like to find an all aluminum one though as I will be keeping it NA for a rockcrawler. It's still got the 22RE and it can barely get out of it's own way. The previous owner added a stand alone engine management system, so I can recoup some money selling it hopefully. An Electromotive TEC-GT.

#20 ·
#21 ·
Nice truck. Just going to sell the SBC or have other plans for it?

#23 ·
Probably just going to sell it, I guess. It's a shame how much money went into building it and dressing it, but I don't have a good home for it.

I think it will work since you won't be spinning it that high. You planning on doing ARP rod bolts?
Prbably won't ever go over 6,500-6,800 tops. I have a new set of katech rod bolts that a friend never used in his C5, so theyll be going in.

#30 ·
If that truck was an auto from the factory it probably has a Dana 21 or most likely a Dana 20 if it was stick, neither being conducive to 700 HP,AMC did have some of those trucks coming out with the 360 or a few had 401 cid.However with that much HP you really need to get a really stout TC like a bigass Atlas.

I hope you don't run ORTs at your 130 mph passes.Don't want to see that super good looking truck up........

Just throwing this out there FWIW...............

#31 ·
It was originally a 232ci strait six with a 3 speed and a Dana20 transfer case. All of that is long gone. The transfer case is out of a 1500 pickup and they have proven to hold 900+awhp. I'm much more concerned with the trans than anything.

And yes, the all terrains have seen 130mph without any shake. My friends and I have taken thoroughly balanced wheel/tire combos as big as 38.5s on 24s as high as 130+ without issue.

Thanks for the concern though :)

#32 ·
I was big into offroading a few ago and knew some of the biggest names in the sport and those people who built and ran in the biggest classes,knowing all these guys would not even think of using a D-208 or the upgraded version NP-231,NE 231 or even the D-241.I'm only saying just be careful of using that 1500 TC as it is one of the above TCs and was not made to hold 900+ HP.

Good luck in your venture and you do have one of the better looking trucks I have seen..

#33 ·
I haven't really had time to get much done on the truck besides pull everything out. As it sits, theres no more old engine, trans, or tcase. I ordered a lot of parts though! It's like Christmas everyday at the front door. So far I've got:

Borg Warner S475. I figured go big or go home. This truck is for show... Might as well show off a giant snail.

Holly billet engine mount adapter plates

44mm gate and 50mm BOV

Pacesetter silverado shorty headers. I just couldn't bring myself to use ugly factory manifolds. I'll be cutting the flanges off and welding on vbands.

Bunch of 16g mild steel 2.5" J bends to build the crossover

T6 steel flange

Edelbrock Pro Flo in black finish

#34 ·
Sounds like you have gone from a 700+ HP 4x4 drag truck to a show truck.

Which ever you do please keep us posted.

#35 · (Edited)
It has always been a show truck, never a drag truck. Took first place at Carlisle Truck Nationals the past two years. I just wanted something a little cooler and more efficient for longer drives to shows, so the 355 had to come out. I also take it to the track every once in a while, but just for some fun. This isn't a build where I need to reach a certain ET or MPH goal.

Edit- But don't get me wrong, I'd still like to make 700+ horsepower, or around 550rwhp. I'm not expecting a huge number to the wheels considering it's a stalled auto, 4wd, has 4.56 gears, and on a 33" tire.

#36 ·
I'd be scared shitless to go over 1000mph in that thing muchless 130 in the 1/4. Are you going to lower it?

#37 ·
Iirc it only trapped 98 in the quarter with the old motor. Higher speeds were in Mexico.

You've never done 120-130 in a truck? This one is far more stable at those speeds than my GTO is at just 150-160. It's already as low as I can get it before the 33s start rubbing. I had the springs built 4 times before I was happy with the ride height and stiffness.

Oh, and I'd be way too scared to try and do 1000mph in the truck too... I mean, how many rockets in the bed would it take to get to those speeds? ;)

#38 ·
Never been 120 in a truck. 130 on 33s in the 1/4 seems crazy. Good luck with the build.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.