LS1GTO Forums banner

L92 Heads/Info and Owners In Here

619K views 4K replies 247 participants last post by  twistedneck 
#1 · (Edited)
Always a lot of talk so I have comprised a list of all the owners with L92 heads and a stock bottom end. I have also done my best to obtain cam specs and track times.

See the redone list below in post #7.

If I missed anyone please let me know as well as if I stated something incorrectly.

Also if any of you can fill in the places where there are ??? that would be great.

#3,541 ·
My buddy is willing to part with the top end off of his 09 G8 GT for $900..should I jump on it?

#3,545 ·
That doesn't sound like a bad deal, assuming it is the complete top end and how many miles are on it.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

This post has been deleted
#3,544 ·
Not with my cam, no. It's boderline and was like 0.065 thousandths. Rule of thumb is 0.080 is safe clearance. Keep in mind that it's not just gross lift that effects your measurements and PTV. Duration plays a big role as well as LSA. The advance grinded into the cam does too.

What are the specs on your cam??

#3,550 ·
You will more than likely have to fly cut. Like I said, 224 with 609 lift is borderline. 228 is more duration and you have a higher lift figure. It would be wise to fly cut. What's the Lobe Separation angle and advance??

True assembled heads wont come with the rockers or stands. But I assumed his buddy would keep the rockers and stands for the replacement heads on the G8.
But they aren't that much. I ended up paying $56 for mine. But I got dealer cost on the rocker stands and rockers.

#3,548 ·
I think on the assembled heads you still need offset intake rockers and stands(120.00 shipped roughly. If you are getting the complete head from the g8 then it evens out other than your heads arent new.If the idea of having hollow valves as opposed to solid valves(l92) is what you want then i would go with new heads from pace performance(ls3 heads) / intake+injectors off ebay ..my .02...goodluck..

#3,553 ·
It's the complete head, rockers and all.What are the benefits to hollow valves?

#3,556 ·
Ah, I see. Flycutting means I'd have to pull the engine and take it to a shop, which I honestly would rather not do. I had planned on a mild cam from Ed anyway to allow for going turbo later. In truth I would really rather not deal with it. I would have to pay someone to pull the engine, for that I might as well build an engine on the side and drop that in. :bomb:

#3,558 ·
That's what I thought, but I don't think Machine shops here let me just leave my car there while they cut on her. I'll have to look into it further.

#3,564 ·
I used the comp cams valve spring tool. Worked well.

#3,565 ·
I doubt you'll be able to rent the Comp Cams tool anywhere, you will have to order it online or find a friend with one. It is the Comp Cams LS-Series Value Spring Compressor.

#3,568 ·
SOuns like you really beat those seals on there. When I did my spring change on the old motor I had a slight gap as you described between the valve guide seal and the spring seat. The seats have a sound when they bottom out, like metle/metle smacking. I used a deepwell 13MM 12 point socket and lightly tapped them. Took about 3 taps and they were bottomed out, and had a slight gap. I am concerned you beat them to much and deformed them. WHat did you use to tap them on?

#3,569 ·
Ok well a little tip i learned the hard way. Never ever tap on the rubber part of the seal. Only tap on the outside of the body. 13mm 12point socket works perfect. I had 6 seals come apart when i tapped em on hitting the rubber :/

#3,573 ·
I don't know if its bad I have spent my time reading all this info on this post and my mind is blown by these numbers and its back to the drawing board for me with my heads and cam after my exhaust and headers and full Monaro body conversion. I just don't know what to do anymore!! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#3,574 ·
I don't know if its bad I have spent my time reading all this info on this post and my mind is blown by these numbers and its back to the drawing board for me with my heads and cam after my exhaust and headers and full Monaro body conversion. I just don't know what to do anymore!! Lol.

Let me break it down for you:
get a set of LS3 heads, mill them .030-.040 if they are stock chamber
get a set of LS3 head gaskets and new head bolts
buy a smallishto medium cam, pushrods, and spring kit to match
install stock LS3 intake and injectors
bolt the stuff on and make good power and torque after it's tuned

#3,580 ·
The whole advantage of the Ls3 head swap is the price of factory parts. Once you buy a set of worked over heads, you might as well get good cathedral heads.

You can gather the parts for the Ls3 swap for a little over $1000, using almost all new parts. Going after someone's special Ls3 heads is going to cost you twice as much, if not more. At that point it would be cheaper to have your 243's done up.

In short, the Ls3 swap is good when it's cheap.

#3,581 ·
True. I understand where your coming from. And that's why this is the more attractive deal to me. I was just recently in a wreck and got the insurance check and am doing a Monaro conversion so while that is gettin done I'm probably gonna do this heads and cam. Thanks for all the info!!

#3,583 ·
When/if I do my swap, I will just have a simple milling to 64cc. I've heard milling is only about $100, making the swap still cheap. You have to remember you are getting a better Ls3 intake, so this is really like the porting of stock heads and FAST intake swap, and bigger injectors. Kind of a triple win if you don't sink a ton of money into the heads. Though I am bucking up for ARP head studs.

#3,585 ·
This is all true

#1. The LS2 intake sucks, and the FAST is pricey
#2. Cam only cars seem to be fine on LS2 injectors, once you add heads, you are close to the LS2 injector limit anyways
#3. Probably on a stock cube motor, porting LS3 heads is not really needed, you'd probably need a stroker before you can realistically call the LS3 head flow restrictive.

When I did my swap, by the time I sold my 243 heads and ported LS2 intake it was so cheap it was embarrassing.

#3,584 ·
Where is the best place to find these heads assembled and ready to go? I am gonna make accounts on some other forums to try and find everything but if not what websites have them for good pricing and quality?

#3,587 ·
See my post above. You can get them at your dealer (not recommened cause they are way more expensive unless you know some people ;) ), Summit Racing, Jegs, ebay and other various speed shops including our sponsers online. They all have reasonable prices and the LS3 heads fully assembled run from about $325-375 each, shipping running about $30. You can maybe snag some off of the Camaro/Corvette board as well that have been used from owners who have gone aftermarket. STOP BEING LAZY! We aren't going to build your car for you. We can only show you the door, you're the one that has to walk through it.

#3,590 ·
we have done several cams for these setups as well...and have multiple sources for the grinding. custom grinds from Lunati at a touch over $400
there are many off the shelf cams that will work just fine too though. A 'custom' cam is not needed for every car on the road, contrary to what many here repeat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.