Thoughts on Kooks afterburner - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Exhaust

Old 04-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #1
Dillonjwalton

Thoughts on Kooks afterburner

Curious on what your thoughts are on Kooks afterburner exhaust for my 05, wanted to go with Corsa sport but don't want to fork out $1200 at this time
Thank you!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017, 09:34 AM   #2
treyelchivo
Wait, what?

2006 GTO Owner

Going to be raspy and loud.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:37 AM   #3
MannyLobo
HGH Optimist

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to MannyLobo
I'd answer but I hacked mine up.

Took out the mufflers in the back, and put 3" Dynomax Bullets in the '04 location. Took out the giant X- and put in a hefty H-pipe.

Yeah.

Loud.

Loud as hell.
Whoa: Powder Coated '05/'06 Brakes, Russell Stainless Lines, Drilled/Slotted Rotors

Chelsea: 2005 GMC Yukon SLT - Deep Blue Metallic --- The New Daily

Old 04-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #4
Dillonjwalton

Or what about Spintech?
Old 04-19-2017, 09:53 AM   #5
WOODWARDSGTO
WOODWARDSGTO

2006 GTO Owner

I have the mufflers on the stock exhaust and I like the sound , But I dont drive mine that much.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:32 AM   #6
A TrainsGTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillonjwalton...View Post
Curious on what your thoughts are on Kooks afterburner exhaust for my 05, wanted to go with Corsa sport but don't want to fork out $1200 at this time
Thank you!

Just buy the corsa, you won't regret it.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:42 PM   #7
Assplay?
U can touch it if you want to

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A TrainsGTO...View Post
Just buy the corsa, you won't regret it.

Word up on dis
Old 04-19-2017, 06:37 PM   #8
SkiPopeye36
FPFQ Herder

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillonjwalton...View Post
Or what about Spintech?

Axleback or catback? Night and day difference between the 2. The former sounds like shit with anything more than a stock car. The catback sounds great regardless of mods.

I've had the afterburners and loved them. Changed them out just because I wanted something different (Spintech).

Sound and tone will depend on your mods. With my moderate cam, headers, and catless mids, the afterburners were slightly tamer than the Spintech I have now. Both are very aggressive mufflers and are LOUD at WOT; Spintech just really makes your ears bleed.

I'd put a set of afterburners on a GTO again without even thinking though. They really do sound good.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:49 PM   #9
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

now that spintech has been brought up, i wonder if i can retrofit a couple of spintech pro streets or super pro streets onto my raspinator-slp-poopmouth catback.

( '_')o

(._. )

Quote:
The real enemy of truth is not ignorance, doubt, or even disbelief. It is false knowledge.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:39 AM   #10
SkiPopeye36
FPFQ Herder

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Don't do it unless you put the mufflers in the 04 position.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:49 AM   #11
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

That's what i was planning to do.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #12
SkiPopeye36
FPFQ Herder

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Also, here is my honest comparison of both the Spintech catback (or simply the mufflers in the 04 location) and the Kooks Afterburners coupled to the stock catback pipes.

This is all on a moderately sized cam, full bolt-ons and catless set-up:

Afterburners are louder at idle than Spintech due to the placement of the mufflers, but that slowly reverses as the RPM's climb.

Spintech has a deeper, hollowish tone vs the Afterburners which are slightly higher pitched. Both have a good low rumble; Spintech is just a few octaves lower.

Drone is greater with the Afterburners than the Spintech which is again due to the placement of the mufflers.

Fitment and quality of the Afterburners is what you'd expect from Kooks; near flawless. Spintech (catback) requires tinkering with the alignment to get it to fit correctly. I spent more time tweaking the fitment of my catback than actually installing the whole system.

I really only switched from the Afterburners to the Spintech because I had a hankering for a full 3" stainless system. I confirmed a few years ago that the Afterburners do indeed bolt right up to the Street Screamer catback, so I've contemplated purchasing the Street Screamer catback and another set of Afterburners to have an alternate system to put on the car. I need to discuss with Kooks directly to see if they would sell the Street Screamer to me with the Afterburners instead of the oval mufflers that come with the catback though.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:08 AM   #13
96SS390

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiPopeye36...View Post
Also, here is my honest comparison of both the Spintech catback (or simply the mufflers in the 04 location) and the Kooks Afterburners coupled to the stock catback pipes.

This is all on a moderately sized cam, full bolt-ons and catless set-up:

Afterburners are louder at idle than Spintech due to the placement of the mufflers, but that slowly reverses as the RPM's climb.

Spintech has a deeper, hollowish tone vs the Afterburners which are slightly higher pitched. Both have a good low rumble; Spintech is just a few octaves lower.

Drone is greater with the Afterburners than the Spintech which is again due to the placement of the mufflers.

Fitment and quality of the Afterburners is what you'd expect from Kooks; near flawless. Spintech (catback) requires tinkering with the alignment to get it to fit correctly. I spent more time tweaking the fitment of my catback than actually installing the whole system.

I really only switched from the Afterburners to the Spintech because I had a hankering for a full 3" stainless system. I confirmed a few years ago that the Afterburners do indeed bolt right up to the Street Screamer catback, so I've contemplated purchasing the Street Screamer catback and another set of Afterburners to have an alternate system to put on the car. I need to discuss with Kooks directly to see if they would sell the Street Screamer to me with the Afterburners instead of the oval mufflers that come with the catback though.

If you do end up calling please relay the message as I as well would be very interested in buying the Street Screamer Catback but with the afterburner mufflers instead of the street screamers.

Jared
2006 BOM M6 l FAST92 l LPE CAI l Kooks Stepped Headers/Catless Mids l Magnaflow 2.5" l Pedders XA l GMM Race l GForce Axles/Stubs l Harrop Cover l SJM Line Lock l JamesBiz CC l BMR Skid Plate l Katech Coil Relocation/Covers l OEM 18" Wheels l More to come...
Old 04-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #14
SkiPopeye36
FPFQ Herder

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Oh, and the R300-14 race muffler by Kooks is the "afterburner" muffler for anyone who just wants to weld them into their existing system. I confirmed that when I had my afterburners and saw that part number etched on each muffler.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:12 PM   #15
SummervilleGoat

2006 GTO Owner

I have had my afterburners for several years and still love them. Be mindful that I have no engine/bolt on mods, therefore I'd listen to anyone else whom has modded theirs and had afterburners. If your close to stock it sounds awesome!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: