Slp lm1 - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Exhaust

Old 05-27-2017, 06:05 AM   #1
Ls1adam

Slp lm1

I just purchased an 04 goat. My first goat I have owned. I have had 4th gen camaros and trans am before. The car is all stock except for it having a lm1 on it. It sounds very quiet to me. I'm thinking of doing a couple things, eliminate the resonators or going to a spintech h pipe set up. The other concern I have it I'm in CA and the lm1 is an x pipe design which will not pass emissions.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2017, 09:32 AM   #2
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

It will be loud when you do headers or mids.

( '_')o

(._. )

Quote:
The real enemy of truth is not ignorance, doubt, or even disbelief. It is false knowledge.

Old 05-27-2017, 03:22 PM   #3
itslow
TACHNUP

2004 GTO Owner

The LM1 "resonators" are essentially a straight through pipe. They have no baffling or packing to help reduce sound. It's already the loudest of the GTO exhaust, and is obnoxious with headers and the accompanying mid-pipes. I can't see why anyone would want anything louder.

The LM1 is 50-state emissions legal. The fact it has an x-pipe doesn't matter, as the system is installed after the catalytic convertors and does not alter or move the position of the convertors or O2 sensors. It may not, however, meet any noise restrictions that have been enacted in your jurisdiction.

Last edited by itslow; 05-27-2017 at 03:24 PM.

Old 05-28-2017, 03:34 AM   #4
FutureGoatHearder
I'm back!!!

2006 GTO Owner

Do headers and you will be pleased, I felt the same way about my 04 until I added headers.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:51 PM   #5
SkiPopeye36
FPFQ Herder

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothubertjfarnsworth...View Post
It will be loud when you do headers or mids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGoatHearder...View Post
Do headers and you will be pleased, I felt the same way about my 04 until I added headers.

Don't believe he'll be doing headers and/or mids:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls1adam...View Post
I'm in CA

Old 05-29-2017, 05:32 PM   #6
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

He can do JBA shorties. They have a carb number, i believe.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:16 AM   #7
MuhThugga
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham

2004 GTO Owner

A Loudmouth I is too quiet?

PROJECT SILVERBACK IS COMPLETE!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVDCGTO...View Post
Squeezing another 50 rwhp out of one of those setups would be like trying to squeeze the sarcasm out of MuhThugga. . . . . . . . not gonna happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87LC2...View Post
A Prius is a vehicular dunce cap.

Quote:
Drag racing is for people who love hard work and hate money.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:48 PM   #8
SilverBullet19
05 Looks, 04 Slow

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
I just purchased an 04 goat. My first goat I have owned. I have had 4th gen camaros and trans am before. The car is all stock except for it having a lm1 on it. It sounds very quiet to me. I'm thinking of doing a couple things, eliminate the resonators or going to a spintech h pipe set up. The other concern I have it I'm in CA and the lm1 is an x pipe design which will not pass emissions.

WELCOME TO THE HERD!

There is nothing illegal about an x-pipe in CA. Long tubes and after market cats are not legal (but you can still pass if you "know a guy"), but an x-pipe or h-pipe is perfectly fine.

SLP is notoriously loud, not sure why it feels so quiet unless they put on different mufflers (or lied about the brand).

EDIT: coming from a 4th gen as well, the GTO is much quieter INSIDE. There's a lot more sound proofing compared to the F-bodies. It can fool you into thinking its "quiet" outside...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothubertjfarnsworth...View Post
He can do JBA shorties. They have a carb number, i believe.

Correct. I have had JBA shorties for years, they have the CARB # stamped right into the headers. I actually have a full JBA exhaust, sounds great and no drone.

Retired for DD duties 3/23/15 at 120,600

Full JBA exhaust with shorties and catted mids, Griffin radiator, Lovell's Shocks, King HHD springs (1 inch drop front, 1/2 inch rear), various whiteline poly bushings, DSS 1 piece, Hyperblack 19" VMR VB3's, 05 hood, 05 bumper, Mavman color matched spoiler

Last edited by SilverBullet19; 06-03-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:57 PM   #9
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuhThugga...View Post
A Loudmouth I is too quiet?

when i bought my blue car that's what it had on it, and i thought it had to have been a loudmouth ii it was so quiet at idle.

low and behold, shorties and catless mids later, it's annoyingly loud as smurf. Upon inspection, the "mufflers" are just resonators, so it's definitely an LM1.

maybe to stock midpipe resonators on the 04 actually do something.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:58 PM   #10
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

that being said... i still want a stock 04 exhaust.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:06 PM   #11
redgoat420
baaaad 2 the bone

2006 GTO Owner

Had a LM1 with Kooks longtubes and catless midpipes, it was stupid loud but I loved it. Every now and then you'll have one of those days where it'll give you a headache as it will drone at certain speeds. If your cammed it's stupid loud x 2
3.73's
381/388

Present- '06 PBM M6 🐐 (money pit)
LME 408 LS2
Front Mount
TDP T56
Old 06-18-2017, 05:50 PM   #12
Ls1adam

It sounds ok but in the higher rooms it really is quiet. The lower half of the Roma it's decently loud.
It is a LM kit for sure. I was under the car and saw the resonators. I was told it was an LM1 kit. I guess it could be a LM2 possibly. I have ordered the jba mid pipes already and will just swap mid pipes at smog time.
I have been contemplating jba shorties as well but have read tons of mixed reviews.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:59 PM   #13
Kfxguy

I have an 04 with a lm2. I put jba catted mids on it and it got a lot louder. It will vibrate my dash at certain rpms. At cruise and no load it's pretty tolerable but I still bought a set of vibrant resonators to go on it. If you ordered jba non catted mids, I feel sorry for you. Unless your a 16 year old that think a shitty sounding loud exhaust sounds cool, you'll regret it.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:01 PM   #14
Kfxguy

Btw, if you look up lm1 and lm2 resonators you can see the difference in them and figure out what you have. If you say it's quiet then I'd take a guess it's an lm2.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:44 PM   #15
Ls1adam

I'm not spending 400$ extra for some cats. If anything I can add another resonator if it's too loud.

Last edited by Ls1adam; 06-19-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:57 PM   #16
SilverBullet19
05 Looks, 04 Slow

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
It sounds ok but in the higher rooms it really is quiet. The lower half of the Roma it's decently loud.
It is a LM kit for sure. I was under the car and saw the resonators. I was told it was an LM1 kit. I guess it could be a LM2 possibly. I have ordered the jba mid pipes already and will just swap mid pipes at smog time.
I have been contemplating jba shorties as well but have read tons of mixed reviews.

Quote:
I'm not spending 400$ extra for some cats. If anything I can add another resonator if it's too loud.

I have the JBA shorties and I'm very happy with them. Super easy install, and it's the best we can do in CA with the smog regulations. Install was super quick, especially compared to long tubed, it was a decent compromise. I bought mine used through here for about half price.

I have the JBA catted mids, and my goat is pretty damn loud with them. Be careful with catless. I know I'm a car guy, but it's super easy to tell when someone has high flow cats as the roll down the road. It's also pretty easy to tell when a car is catless. The last thing you want is a smog referral and a fat ticket for rolling without them.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:06 PM   #17
Ls1adam

True but I'm keeping my stock mid tubes. If I happen to get a ticket I'll put my stock ones on and roll to the ref
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: