AC Diagnosis Second Opinion?? - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Tech Lounge

Old 06-17-2017, 08:37 AM   #1
sshockr

2006 GTO Owner

AC Diagnosis Second Opinion??

I'm hoping somebody can confirm my diagnosis or suggest something I'm missing.

2006 GTO, intake and exhaust only. AC does not blow cold. I put a set of high and low gauges on it.

Ambient Conditions: 80*f 80%humidity

Gauge Readings:
Engine Off:
low 75psi high 75psi
Engine on 1500rpm
low 70psi high 100psi

Now I thought I should see:
Engine on 1500rpm
low 40psi high 240psi

Per the very limited diagnostic page in the Ellery book, all it says is this likely means the compressor is damaged?

Thanks,
-Brian
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #2
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Looks about right. Chart i am looking at says weak compressor.

( '_')o

(._. )

Quote:
The real enemy of truth is not ignorance, doubt, or even disbelief. It is false knowledge.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:45 PM   #3
Fox Mulder
Alien Moderator

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

It's a variable-displacement compressor, the vanes could be stuck. Not sure if there's a fix for that anyway, just worth a mention.
Before condemning the compressor, it might be worth having a shop evacuate the system and add the proper amount of refrigerant. Could just get it working, worst case it doesn't and you're probably out about $100 which you can consider a diagnostic fee. Maybe the shop will give you credit for that if they do the compressor replacement.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:06 PM   #4
Logan71

2006 GTO Owner

I replaced a compressor on my old chevy truck on Friday. My final readings were 40/230 on a 90* day, so I could buy that the numbers you were expecting are pretty much normal.

However, the numbers you're getting do seem off. I can say that I almost replaced the compressor on my GTO (it is indeed a variable compressor, as mentioned) but then stumbled upon a thread that placed the blame somewhere - on a replaceable part in the actual compressor.

I was able to order one and actually replace this valve with the compressor still on the car (not much room to work, but doable)

Personally, I would research your symptoms against how a system reacts when the valve fails. It's been a couple of years, so I'm sorry but I can't remember how mine was acting; I do, however, still have the PDF from the research. (Edit, it won't let me attach as the PDF is too large - here's the link)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...QauMQmTLtEASzQ

Last edited by Logan71; 06-18-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:09 AM   #5
WickedGoat
Seriously?

2004 GTO Owner

I agree with Fox... Those readings can mean a restricted line, low refrigerant, or a bad cycling switch. Since you have gauges, I would first see if you have any freezing on the lines. That would indicate a restriction. I would then add some refrigerant since you have gauges... See if the pressures come up to normal. Or just go to a shop and have them discharge and fill to the exact amount and see where you are. The shop can always discharge the system for you if you end up needing a compressor.

There is a great diagnosis thread in the Body Shop forum by Konnie... It is a climate control system sticky and there is a full AC system section... Give that a read, good stuff.

Performance:
SLP LT's with Cats, Corsa Touring, LPE CAI, MSD Wires, NGK TR55's, GMM RipShifter, Elite Catch Can, Lubricated by Pennzoil Platinum, Royal Purple, & Torco, Tuned by Jeremy Formato - 333 RWHP, 348 RWTQ

Appearance & Sound:
'04 SAP, '05 18's, BFG KDW 245-40/18's, Tint, Zaino'd, '06 Tail Lights

Suspension: Pedders pieces for the rear, fronts coming soon

Old 06-19-2017, 04:37 PM   #6
sshockr

2006 GTO Owner

Hey, thanks for the help guys. I found the thread you mentioned when I was doing the testing. Looks like I need to do some more searching for other possible cause, but like I said the Ellery book, (Australian equivalent of a Haynes Manual) was pretty limited on AC diagnosis.

I forgot to add originally that the AC compressor seems quite loud when it runs. Almost as loud as the York single piston pump on my truck.

So while I search I will start setting aside some dollars to replace the compressor if that is actually what it turns out being.

-Brian
Old 06-19-2017, 04:54 PM   #7
Silvah Goat
600 RWHP CLUB

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedGoat...View Post
That would indicate a restriction.

A restriction would be indicated by either a high discharge or excessive suction. If a differential engine is not making a differential, it's either a moving a product that does not change phases, the metering device is not functioning properly (no restriction), or the engine itself is worn.

The refrigerant is indicating an ambient temp of 73, if the charge was low, it would have a very low suction also.

If the metering device is letting it all go through, there will not be a phase change, so the air would be cooled by the sensible heat gain only. Basically...nothing.
17 Acadia Limited 3.6 - Dealer sticker delete mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: