LS1GTO Forums banner

Ok, so I'm going to at least TRY this stuff out...

4K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  Hockeyman 
#1 ·
I saw it on Modern Marvels (History Channel) when they were doing a show on Waterproofing. It's called "Simoniz Glasscoat". I was telling the wife about it a few times. She finally decided to buy it for me, which was just to keep the subject from being mentioned *again*. Effective method :)

Anywho, we just purchased a small bottle of it on ebay for $83 shipped. Yeah yeah, I know...but I just want to try it. It's mentioned that it will protect the finish for up to 7 years. I honestly do not believe that it'll last THAT long, but if I get 3 years out of it, I'll be happy.

My plan is to wash, claybar, then apply the glasscoat. I'm also thinking of waxing prior to applying the glasscoat, but I'll read the instructions before doing that.

It will not be going on the GTO!!
Instead, I'll be applying it on my other car, and possibly the wife's Accord -if there's any left.

Modern Marvels video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LNmKSZqDLNs

#5 ·
That exact stuff has been used by dealers for years as a marketing hype to try and garner an extra few hundred dollars out of a customer. No wax or sealant will last for a year, let alone 7 years.

I bought a brand new Grand Am GT back in 2000. The Pontiac dealer suckered me into this as I really didn't know much about detailing back then. 6 months later I was wondering why water no longer beaded on the paint. Called the dealer and they said that was normal and that I needed to come back every 6 months for a re-application (for a fee that was buried in the fine print). It's a scam for people who don't know anything about detailing.

Good luck with your trial though.

#9 ·
Hockeyman, It'll work best applied to clean, bare, polished paint (I'll bet that's the instructions). Wax rides along ontop of the paint while sealants, being synthetic, create a molecular bond with the paint itself. If you wax first it'll wear off with the wax: perhaps a bit longer since you'll seal the wax underneath, but not much longer. I'd give it 8 months tops for a garaged car. Prove SkiPopeye and me wrong!

#13 ·
Hockeyman, It'll work best applied to clean, bare, polished paint (I'll bet that's the instructions). Wax rides along ontop of the paint while sealants, being synthetic, create a molecular bond with the paint itself. If you wax first it'll wear off with the wax: perhaps a bit longer since you'll seal the wax underneath, but not much longer. I'd give it 8 months tops for a garaged car. Prove SkiPopeye and me wrong!
Good point. That's something else I haven't really thought about...

I'll clean and clay the surface, then apply the glasscoat. Maybe I'll put a layer of Collinite over top once it's all done.
Again, I'm not applying it on the GTO since it's a garage queen. I'm going to apply it to the vehicles that are constantly exposed to the elements.

My wife has a white honda accord, and for some reason, she constantly gets faded black streaks in the finish. Regular car washes do not remove it. The only thing that removes it is a heavy cleaner, like Pinnacle's XMT 360. And we have to do that about 2 x's per year :bomb:
Oh, and I do apply a synthetic wax over the XMT 360, but it still streaks a few moths later.

In conclusion, I'm looking for a more durable option to seal the finish and to keep the black streaks from returning so darn often!

#11 ·
LOL at 0:58 when dude shoots his wife out of the car. "sorry ol girl"

#12 ·
though about doing something like this with Liquipel... its made for phones and it bonds on a molecular level for full water proof. dude submerges a phone in water and it isnt even phased.

im sure the cost would be crazy and dont even know if it would work with a clear coat but if it did...

#14 ·
as slammin has said. should have done opticoat 2.0. Opticoat is a PERMANENT coating, it acts as another thin layer of clearcoat. I will be doing opticoat at some point, but i enjoy waxing too much to just go for it. BTW, wax doesnt bond to opticoat well, i think they have claimed that even long lasting waxes and sealants only last about 2 weeks on opticoat.

Shawn

#15 ·
I'm skeptical about the Opticoat 2.0. Even if it performs as marketed (and I still can't grasp how it's possible) what are you going to do once you have swirls and scratches in the finish again? The first time you hit a polisher to the paint to correct your car it will be gone.

Say this stuff will resist swirls and scratches forever and I'm throwing the BS flag all the way to the top of the pole.

Never used the stuff but I am having a very hard time accepting those claims knowing the science behind detailing. If you have experience with it than I'd like to hear more about your results.

#17 ·
If you do some reading on Opticoat using a paint correction polish is how they remove it. Claybar and strippers will not. If you F up the job the only way to fix it is to use a cutting polish to remove it.

If your doing a paint correction your adding another layer at that point. From all the threads I've read it does seems to hold up pretty well.

I plan on trying it on my wife's Venetian Red Pearl C70 as soon as I finish filling the rock chips with Dr Colorchip. :)

#19 ·
Received it today. The bottle is a "tiny bit" larger than I expected, so I'm thinking that it'll go a little further than anticipated.

I'm going to apply it to the wife's car this Saturday. After washing, I'm gunna check to see if the surface needs to be clay'd. Once the surface is ready, I'll apply PPG DX330 (wax and grease remover) on a clean rag and wipe-down the whole car, then apply the Glasscoat with a small foam applicator.
Not sure of the drying time, so I'll let it sit out in the sun for the remainder of the day. I'll apply a layer of Collinite #845 the following day.

The Glasscoat didn't come with any instructions. On the bottle, it says to go to simonizglasscoat[dot]com to look them up, but I'm having a hard time finding them. I'll just go with my method above.

#20 ·
I know its an old thread but, how did this stuff work out? Did it last 6 months? Is it still on there?

I just saw it on a repeat of modern marvels and became curious and found this thread.

#21 ·
Haha, I was just watching that episode again too!

Well, I used it on the wife's car, and the water is still beading-up really well. She has an Accord, and the white paint has a way of getting this black film buildup on it's surface, and the only way of removing it is with something like this:
http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/db_images/PinnacleXMT360Correc1.jpg
Anyhow, the black buildup is back, AGAIN, so the glasscoat didn't do much for protecting the surface.

I also used it on my old minivan, but unfortunately, it got crushed by a telephone pole back in July of 2012 -which was only a few months after applying the Glasscoat. I ran out of the product, so I cannot test it any further.

I'm going to try Opticoat 2.0 next. I'm hoping that it will protect the white paint on the wife's car better than what the glasscoat did...which was really nothing, other than beading water up.

#33 ·
This stuff made me think of the Car Pro C Quartz stuff.http://www.cquartz.com/pages.php?page_id=65
I was reading about both of them (Cquartz and Opticoat), and the opticoat seems to be a much more permanent solution. I'm not saying that cq. isn't durable, but on autogeek, it says that it lasts about 2 years. As opposed to opticoat which claims to last the lifetime of the vehicle.

Sheeeiit...I'll buy and use both! ...seriously. But which one should I apply first??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.