LS1GTO Forums banner

Soo... My 3rd gear is extremely hard to get into after filling my tranny. HELP

2K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  elpuerco 
#1 · (Edited)
Yesterday I added 2qts. Castrol Dex/Merc to my tranny before heading to the track, no I did not race it (i have a leak, output shaft area) and after an hour of driving my 3rd, sometimes 4th gear is extremely hard to get in and notchy at high speeds 60-70 mph. Also some of the other gears at times were locking me out. Before when my tranny was LOW on oil I never had this problem. At low speeds it goes into evry gear like normal.

Did I screw up my tranny by using the wrong fluid?

If I changed the fluid back to OEM GM P/N 88861800 would it restore my car to normal?

Is there a possibility I filled it too much? (I used the reverse hole with my car on ramps)

I have read all night about the oils users use, im looking to see if someone has had a similar issue.

Its an LS2/ 6 Speed

#3 ·
no sure what the deal is with yours but my first gto had major 3rd gear syncro problems in both the transmissions i had in it. Hard to get in gear without rev matching, grinds, lockout ect.

#4 ·
Did you fill it until it ran out the reverse switch hole? If so you put too much in, you have to pre-measure the total amount when filling through there.
To reduce the level you can take out the fill plug (yes the one that says "Do Not Use") and let it run out until the fluid is at the bottom of the fill opening. If the car is level there will now be 3.8 qts in the trans. You can either leave it at that amount (many of us do) or add the additional .8 qt through the reverse hole.

#5 ·
^^^^ this^^^

#7 ·
Glad you got it shorted but I laughed at user name and the thread title.

#8 ·
^ may be onto something here lol

#10 ·
Now it's broken. Add supercharger, begin Chirpin4th. :gr_jest:

Are you giving the drivetrain any relief with a throttle blip to try and revmatch ? We can't read between the lines to understand if you actually know how to drive, but you can bet your synchros love you for taking a used car the prev owner surely beat upon and then giving it more.

#15 ·
You're batting 1000. Rather than fix a leak you bandaid it to go racing. And you don't have any clue about preventative/regular maintenance. I'm I following the storyline accurately?

To answer your question, probably not if you're only having problems with 3rd. Still sounds like a synchro problem.

#16 ·
Flush your clutch system out, clean that reservoir out and swap out your rubber clutch line with a steel braided one. There have been quite a few threads on this and it sounds similar to the problems I was having getting into 3rd and 4th while on the throttle. That would be the easiest, cheapest fix to look at first in my opinion. When you get on it, your fluid and rubber clutch line heat up and won't allow the proper fluid through and that could cause your shifts to be very difficult... ( at least it did on my car ). Under normal driving my car was fine as well. By the looks at how dirty your reservoir and line are, Im sure your not getting the proper amount through there for a clean shift. Just my :cents:

#27 ·
It's not like normal folks who know how to drive have this problemo, man. Truth be told, my GMM or the underlying trans doesn't have the best 3rd gate. This little hangup of OOOps missed 3rd resulted in 15-30 seconds of lost time when chasing Cyp and b4z. It took quite a while to catsup to dem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.